The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,743
    mtb-idle said:

fellow Chelsea fan here. at the start of the season Super Frank was being called out as the first manager for the chop and the most inexperienced in the top six.

Now look where he is, sitting pretty in 4th, playing great football and with an adoring fanbase.

Yep, Super Frank is doing a (er) super job given he's a newbie with a zero budget for players currently.

I'll be perfectly happy with a CL as the return for this season. Then when we start spending again, things will get interesting...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I'm off to the bridge again tomorrow (season ticket holder in the MHL) should be a good game.
    FCN = 4
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,463
    Bye Emery... hello another manager who has to deal with a restrictive wage structure and not that much spending power.

Yes. it's a bit plastic since we moved to the Emirates. Thierry said as much within a very short time of being there and I think having amongst the most expensive season tickets is a plasticisation contributor.

But we're in the black so let's be cheerful.

Spirito Esposito - yes please.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    mtb-idle said:

I'm off to the bridge again tomorrow (season ticket holder in the MHL) should be a good game.

Enjoy.

We used to be members and went when we could but since the OH got busy and junior lost interest (teenage girl), I now rely on a mate with 2 season tickets in the West stand having one go spare occasionally.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Bye Emery... hello another manager who has to deal with a restrictive wage structure and not that much spending power.

Yes. it's a bit plastic since we moved to the Emirates. Thierry said as much within a very short time of being there and I think having amongst the most expensive season tickets is a plasticisation contributor.

I'm sure he'd be good but why go when he's doing relatively well where he is?
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

I'm sure he'd be good but why go when he's doing relatively well where he is?
    Well you see, there's always going to be a glass ceiling at Wolves. Look at last season after being in a Europa position; couldn't sustain it. After crashing out, there soared back up the table.
    If Esposito can get a squad playing like that on such a budget...

So he can come to Arsenal and still have a glass ceiling - except much higher.
    A squad that has enormous potential + Aubameyamamamayang and La Cruset, who can pop goals for fun despite mediocre service.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

So he can come to Arsenal and still have a glass ceiling - except much higher.

What, like 4th place? :p
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,740
    Top slot in GlassCrankers FF continues as a tight battle. Alice (wtf is...) ain't doing so bad.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    it must be confusing being Arsenal fan, they know sweet FA about football, except they hate Spurs.

Nuno develops players, Doherty & Traore amongst others who are collectively punching well above their weight as individuals and collectively as a team. Wolves had the smallest squad in the Premiership last season and part of that success was down to the fitness, dieticians and physios keeping players fit.

The owners have shown great judgment and shrewdness in a market which isn’t known for either quality. The infrastructure is getting stronger, the squad is increasing in size and capability and the transition to European football whilst flourishing in the Premiership is to be admired.

It’ll be great if Wolves can hold onto Nuno, but if Nuno keeps on getting the best out of one of the smallest squads, playing with heart, desire whilst building their individual and collective capability it will be increasingly hard to keep hold of his talents

But Arsenal, why go backwards with your career?;-)
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    slowmart said:

it must be confusing being Arsenal fan, they know sweet FA about football, except they hate Spurs.

Nuno develops players, Doherty & Traore amongst others who are collectively punching well above their weight as individuals and collectively as a team. Wolves had the smallest squad in the Premiership last season and part of that success was down to the fitness, dieticians and physios keeping players fit.

The owners have shown great judgment and shrewdness in a market which isn’t known for either quality. The infrastructure is getting stronger, the squad is increasing in size and capability and the transition to European football whilst flourishing in the Premiership is to be admired.

It’ll be great if Wolves can hold onto Nuno, but if Nuno keeps on getting the best out of one of the smallest squads, playing with heart, desire whilst building their individual and collective capability it will be increasingly hard to keep hold of his talents

But Arsenal, why go backwards with your career?;-)

He's proved that he can do well in a small club so he'd be ideal for Arsenal ;)
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Top slot in GlassCrankers FF continues as a tight battle. Alice (wtf is...) ain't doing so bad.

Yeah and I thought I was catching up on you.
  • pinno
    slowmart said:

Oi.

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,888
    pinno said:

slowmart said:

Oi.

And Brighton?
  • slowmart
    tlw1 said:

pinno said:

slowmart said:

Oi.

And Brighton?
    There isn’t enough space to list all the teams currently above Arsenal.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,888
    slowmart said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

slowmart said:

Oi.

And Brighton?
    There isn’t enough space to list all the teams currently above Arsenal.

I was hoping they would win tonight too!
  • Stevo_666
    I'm off to the Emirates Club Shop on the weekend - they're doing a special deal on the Arsenal branded table lamp. Apparently it looks great in the middle of the table :D
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm off to the Emirates Club Shop on the weekend - they're doing a special deal on the Arsenal branded table lamp. Apparently it looks great in the middle of the table :D

give them some credit - they're above Newcastle - on goal difference at least!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • chris_bass
    it is such a weird season - Liverpool are more points ahead of Leicester in second than Man United, in sixth, are ahead of Everton who are in the bottom 3
  • pinno
    edited December 2019
    Hopefully that will secure Ljungberg's future cleaning boots.
    Reasons to be cheerful: we're not in the relegation zone and unlike Chelsea, we've never been relegated.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

give them some credit - they're above Newcastle - on goal difference at least!
    The geordies will he embarrassed by that!

I bet Arsenal fans are dreaming of the good old days when Arsene could bring them home in 4th place every year :)
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Hopefully that will secure Ljungberg's future cleaning boots.
    Reasons to be cheerful: we're not in the relegation zone and unlike Chelsea, we've never been relegated.

.....yet ;)
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2019
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 said:

Looks like Arsenal are aiming for another season in the Europa :)

But I was wrong about something a few months ago...
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:
    In a funny sort of way, that's a shame. I mean, he has a young squad who are growing in confidence and learning. Are a few of the going out the door prematurely if he spends big? I would like to see the current squad getting stronger over time.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:
    In a funny sort of way, that's a shame. I mean, he has a young squad who are growing in confidence and learning. Are a few of the going out the door prematurely if he spends big? I would like to see the current squad getting stronger over time.
    I was actually quite warming to Chelsea as a real football team rather than a billionaire's plaything.
  • slowmart
    Blimey I thought the wheel wouldn’t come off Franks bus until Christmas.

It’ll be interesting to see if Frank

Has the cash to spend in January

And if he does, will he risk unbalancing a young squad showing so much promise?

Chelsea were playing some lovely football, Frank has his first big test now as a manger, unfortunately he’s looking out of his depth in post match interviews which makes me think he has not got the tools to get the team back in shape.

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    slowmart said:

Blimey I thought the wheel wouldn’t come off Franks bus until Christmas.

It’ll be interesting to see if Frank

Has the cash to spend in January

And if he does, will he risk unbalancing a young squad showing so much promise?

Chelsea were playing some lovely football, Frank has his first big test now as a manger, unfortunately he’s looking out of his depth in post match interviews which makes me think he has not got the tools to get the team back in shape.

So looks like the £150m is a good idea. We need a new defence...
  • chris_bass
    I may have said it before but it is such a weird season!

I think Chelsea will be a bit worried - Spurs 3 wins in 4, united unbeaten in 5 and beat city and spurs in their last two just as Chelsea have started dropping points.

Liverpool have won the league already so 2nd to 6th will be the most interesting battle this year
  • chris_bass
    having just looked at their results - who have chelsea actually beaten who are any good? other than maybe wolves (but wolves were shocking at the start of this season in the league) they draw or lose to anyone who is half decent.

Chelsea to finish 6th this year - you heard it here first!
  • Stevo_666

having just looked at their results - who have chelsea actually beaten who are any good? other than maybe wolves (but wolves were shocking at the start of this season in the league) they draw or lose to anyone who is half decent.

Chelsea to finish 6th this year - you heard it here first!

To be fair, not sure you can include Wolves...