The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,101
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Looks like Arsenal are aiming for another season in the Europa :)

Nothing wrong with Europa :wink:
    It's great for small clubs but a bit embarrassing or inconvenient to be in it for big clubs :)

i disagree - small clubs who qualify usually do really badly the following season having to juggle europe with the league and having smaller squads makes their lives much more difficult. Big clubs seem more up for it now the champions league spot is up for grabs.

remind me - which small team was it that won it last year? :wink:
    Never hurts to get back to a bit of 'grass roots' football, especially having already won the CL :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    in fairness the team you beat weren't up to much were they! what ever happened to them?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    Chris Bass wrote:
    in fairness the team you beat weren't up to much were they! what ever happened to them?
    I think they play on Thursdays :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I think someone in the Southampton area might be relieved of their duties very soon.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I think someone in the Southampton area might be relieved of their duties very soon.
    Listening to it on the radio in the car last night. Never mind being one man down, Southampton were absolutely dreadful. Must have cheered you up no end Goo.
  • mr_goo
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Listening to it on the radio in the car last night. Never mind being one man down, Southampton were absolutely dreadful. Must have cheered you up no end Goo.

I don't mind the Saints, no real rivalry as there just hasn't been the history. It's Pompey that nobody likes down here. Used to go and watch Saints when Cherries were away, this was along time in distant past, Matt le Tissier, Francis Benali etc.
    My late neighbour was Paul Rideout's granny. He went onto Everton and scored the winning goal in cup final against Manure. All the memorabilia in her 'parlour'.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,597
    Mr Goo wrote:
    ...scored the winning goal...against Manure.

Anyone who does that is a friend of mine.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mr_goo
    Pinno wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    ...scored the winning goal...against Manure.

Anyone who does that is a friend of mine.
    Indeed. Shame it was for Everton.
    Never met him as he lives in USA now, but used to chat with his dad quite often.
  • Stevo_666
    Slowmart wrote:
    Chelski lose, Championship manager. Championship players. Championship performance.

I wonder if Chelski fans are looking for three worse teams than themselves to go down
    Yeah, right :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    I overheard a Chelsea fan at work, the loss of Hazard came up and he said whilst he was the main scoring threat at least they'd still have a solid defence. I wonder what he'll say tomorrow.
    Well done Frank?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,488
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Chelski lose, Championship manager. Championship players. Championship performance.

I wonder if Chelski fans are looking for three worse teams than themselves to go down

Let’s hope Frank doesn’t do a OGS and shoots his load after a few wins before settling into the bottom half of the Premiership :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Let’s hope Frank doesn’t do a OGS and shoots his load after a few wins before settling into the bottom half of the Premiership :wink:
    I don't think we'll be joining you down in the bottom half :D
  • pinno
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

Fair play to Lampard. He's getting a bunch of boys to play without fear and lots of confidence in a man's league. But: there is definitely a feeling that this current vein of form is a bubble that will be burst when the going gets heavy; FA Cup, Europe, League Cup and a few losses will change the whole balance quite easily. He's doing very well with what he has and I wish him luck. I wish him luck if and when the form dips after the transfer embargo is lifted. Abramovich is fickle after all.
    I hope that he is given the opportunity to give it a go long term because there is little doubting his commitment and love for the club.
  • Stevo_666
    If we are doing this with a transfer embargo, bet you're not looking forward to after it's over. How do reckon Chelsea being able to spend big again will cause a dip in form?

Anyhow, Slowmart must be worried about Wolves. They're so crap this season they are only one point ahead of Man U :)
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    If we are doing this with a transfer embargo, bet you're not looking forward to after it's over. How do reckon Chelsea being able to spend big again will cause a dip in form?

That wasn't my thinking.
    Abramovich has probably no realistic expectations whilst the embargo is in place. We've watched many managers in not too bad form and in not too bad a league position get shifted.
    As soon as Lampard has the spending/transfer power, expectations will go up. That's what Lampard will have to sustain.
    It would be better for him to be mid table and then the expectation to be higher up the division won't be unrealistic. If he gets to spend and ends up lower in the league than he is now/at the end of the season, then he'll be out quick.
    Also, Abramovich likes the big, established names and I don't know how many 'big' managers were interested in the post given the embargo.
    I get the feeling Lampard was selected from a very short list and was given the role as a no win no problem stop gap. As I say, Abramovich is fickle.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That wasn't my thinking.
    Abramovich has probably no realistic expectations whilst the embargo is in place. We've watched many managers in not too bad form and in not too bad a league position get shifted.
    As soon as Lampard has the spending/transfer power, expectations will go up. That's what Lampard will have to sustain.
    It would be better for him to be mid table and then the expectation to be higher up the division won't be unrealistic. If he gets to spend and ends up lower in the league than he is now/at the end of the season, then he'll be out quick.
    Also, Abramovich likes the big, established names and I don't know how many 'big' managers were interested in the post given the embargo.
    I get the feeling Lampard was selected from a very short list and was given the role as a no win no problem stop gap. As I say, Abramovich is fickle.
    Quite a few hopeful 'ifs' there. We do have a habit of winning stuff unfortunately :)
  • slowmart
    I wonder if Chelsea’s owner would swap the silverware won under his ownership for a UK or Swiss residency visa?

Like the advert says , there are something’s money can’t buy ;-)
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Slowmart wrote:
    Like the advert says , there are something’s money can’t buy ;-)
    Such as beating crap teams like Newcastle and Palace? :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Not a dbad day of footy despite the PL trophy dodgers and the CL trophy dodgers coming from behind.
  • pinno
    Whilst Liverpool have never won the PL;
    No. of top division wins: 18
    No. of European cup/CL wins: 6

Chelsea: 10 and 1 respectively.

And as an Arsenal supporter, we cannot boast winning the second tier of English footy ;)

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Whilst Liverpool have never won the PL;
    No. of top division wins: 18
    No. of European cup/CL wins: 6

Chelsea: 10 and 1 respectively.

And as an Arsenal supporter, we cannot boast winning the second tier of English footy ;)

At least you're still in the second tier of European football :)

What did you think of the mid-table six pointer with Wolves?
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Immaterial as Chelsea won't get far in the CL anyway this season. Crunch time will be xmas, FA and the heavy schedule over that period. I wonder how the boy wonders will cope?
    Stevo_666 said:

Hopefully the beginning of the end of Emery's reign.
    But... looks like Bouriinho is in the frame for the job:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7644223/Jose-Mourinho-dines-Arsenals-head-football-Raul-Sanllehi-amid-scrutiny-Unai-Emery.html

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Immaterial as Chelsea won't get far in the CL anyway this season. Crunch time will be xmas, FA and the heavy schedule over that period. I wonder how the boy wonders will cope?
    Stevo_666 said:

Hopefully the beginning of the end of Emery's reign.
    But... looks like Bouriinho is in the frame for the job:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7644223/Jose-Mourinho-dines-Arsenals-head-football-Raul-Sanllehi-amid-scrutiny-Unai-Emery.html

You got to be in it to win it...

After everything you've said about Jose, I'd love to see the look on your face if he gets the poisoned chalice >:)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,835
    Hear talk (podcast stuff) of Patrick Vieira, but in a year's time if he gets Nice stabilised.
  • slowmart
    edited November 2019
    U
    Stevo_666 said:

You got to be in it to win it...

After everything you've said about Jose, I'd love to see the look on your face if he gets the poisoned chalice >:)

Big Sam more like. The perfect fit.

As for the ordinary one, he’s shot his load in the Premiership and the question of Jose’s next role reduces down to two questions for the PL.

Who would have him?

Who would Jose consider worthy of his endeavours?

I can’t think of any single owner who answers both questions.

Desmond Tutu
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,407
    pinno said:

Something as a Reading supporter I can have the upper hand with for once :smiley:
  • Stevo_666
    tashman said:

pinno said:

Something as a Reading supporter I can have the upper hand with for once :smiley:
    It depends whether Pinno starts counting Arsenal's European Cup Winners Cup as some sort of second tier trophy ;)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,835
    So, how few players opposing do Chelski need to actually win? :)
  • Stevo_666
    The Dutch cleaning product team were only down on numbers for the last 20 mins - we got 3 goals back so decent comeback by Franks wonderboys. :)

Didn't win, but still way better than the entire nation of Scotland at football ;)
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

...but still way better than the entire nation of Scotland at football ;)

Oh come on, the Hackney and Leyton Football league is of higher quality.