Planet X Kaffenback

12346»

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Ha - just read the above. Have just finished the build for my wife of Planet X Kaffenback - using bits I had knocking around, Tiagra groupset, BB7 bought second hand on here, some Specialized disc wheels I bought for cheap, some old cabling I had lying around etc etc. Bought the frame from their ebay shop for £150 as it had "scratches" - blessed if I can find them. although it didn't come with bottom bracket guide, downtube adjusters etc which I bought. Just waiting for a couple of bottle cages to arrive and I'll bung a photo up of it. I think it looks really smart - sure I could have bought one from Planet X (hang on, they're only £800??!!), but I like building them and I can put a couple of "touches" on it for the wife. I probably spent around £500 on the build all in, not including parts I had around the house/in the loft/in the shed!
  • mroli
    14298329585_285c103f1f.jpg

This is it - just needs fitting to the missus (so the bars may be dropped a little) and the proper bottle cages (got her Arundel pink ones to fit) and it should be good to go!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    White saddle?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mroli
    Maybe. I'm trying her on the Selle Italia x1 ladies - its a lot smaller than her usual SMP TRK lady saddle. If she likes it, you can get them in white so that may well be a goer. They're a lot cheaper as well - though I've just found somewhere that does the SMP in white as well...
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I recently got one of these but it doesn't feel as lively as the cdf I test rode. Its currently got 28 gatorskins (which I think are more supple than my usual 25c M+s I use on my steel bike). Is it me getting used to it or is this a little less livelier than the CDF (725 with the standard tires) I rode?

thanks
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Did 122 miles on mine this morning. You can keep your fancy carbon in the wet. Steel bikes with discs and guards is the only way.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rubertoe wrote:
    Did 122 miles on mine this morning. You can keep your fancy carbon in the wet. Steel bikes with discs and guards is the only way.
    Only 122 miles? And in daylight?! Wimp!!!
    Try the Dunwich Dynamo. I did about 130 miles (including a few wrong turns) and mostly at night.

You're right though, I had total confidence in its braking as I descended unknown roads at night (with inadequate lights). I'm never going back to rim brakes.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My frame is still perfect despite me trying to put it out of line by riding into the back of a car at 20 mph on Friday. Brake levers took the impact and have no marks on then though they did move on the bars, bar tape has a few cuts and dirty marks from the road surface. Can't imagine an alu or carbon frame faring so well.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Can some confirm to me whether I can run 32s with guards. Currently got 28s on, but I am toying with the idea of getting 32 M+ for winter. My commute is 1.5hrs and having a puncture adds another 20 or so minutes, which just too much.

Also for those that are considering dynamo power, how can you fit the front lamp to the fork - its got no hole? :oops:
  • I have 32mm gators on with full length sks guards, no problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    samsbike wrote:
    Also for those that are considering dynamo power, how can you fit the front lamp to the fork - its got no hole? :oops:

Dewalt-Corder-Drill.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I see your Dewalt and raise you :lol:

8391DWAE.png
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If you can't trust yourself with power tools or don't fancy holes in your fork, how about a bracket?
  • Cool thanks, however the only one I like is the stem fitting thing but its only for 1".

I didnt think it would be safe to drill the forks - maybe I should ask PX, although I will then have to take it somewhere to get it done.

Also just to add you can fit a 32 marathon with guards.

Out of curiosity has anyone considered changing to a carbon fork?