Planet X Kaffenback

Comments

• indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I was a little concerned the screw head could be a crap magnet if going through the mudguard but plenty of clearance there. The bracket is working well so I'll stick with that and hope it stays in place.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    indyP wrote:
    .... but plenty of clearance there.

Those are 25c tyres but the guards are set for 32c CX knobblies.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ex display. Probably the bike I took out for a test ride.

I love my Kaff 2 but find it interesting that this Kaff 2 is discounted to £850 because it has Rival and it is shop soiled but when I bought mine in July it was exactly the same bike but new and it cost £850 then too. not too much of a discount there then but still a great bike for the money.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

I love my Kaff 2 but find it interesting that this Kaff 2 is discounted to £850 because it has Rival and it is shop soiled but when I bought mine in July it was exactly the same bike but new and it cost £850 then too. not too much of a discount there then but still a great bike for the money.
    New Rival Kaff 2 = £850
    Rival Kaff 2 discontinued so perceived value increases by £150 due to rarity.
    Rival Kaff 2 used as a demo bike, so value decreases by £100.
    Rival Kaff 2 ex-demo bike being sold with an extra £50 off to ensure a quick sale.
    Ex-demo Rival Kaff 2 = £850.

That makes sense, right?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

New Rival Kaff 2 = £850
    Rival Kaff 2 ex-demo bike being sold with an extra £50 off to ensure a quick sale.

That makes sense, right?

Wow eke you are one hell of a salesman!

I know it is the same price and yet you have convinced me it is a bargain...Top Selling :? :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

New Rival Kaff 2 = £850

That makes sense, right?

I know it is the same price and yet you have convinced me it is a bargain...Top Selling :? :lol:

In which case, can I interest you in my Tiagra Kaff2?

I've only had it for about a month, but I love it. That means that is "pre-loved". You can own it without feeling the need to devote extra love to it and reduce the need to deprive your family of some of the love you already give to them.
    It even has a couple of minor scratches so that you don't have to suffer that "New Bike Anxiety"!
    Yours for £999.99

If that works, perhaps you should look at my B Twin Vitamin. £70 new, about five years old.
    Yours for £1499.99

Call it £3000 for the pair.

£5000 for cash.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

New Rival Kaff 2 = £850

That makes sense, right?

In which case, can I interest you in my Tiagra Kaff2?

I've only had it for about a month, but I love it. That means that is "pre-loved". You can own it without feeling the need to devote extra love to it and reduce the need to deprive your family of some of the love you already give to them.
    It even has a couple of minor scratches so that you don't have to suffer that "New Bike Anxiety"!
    Yours for £999.99

If that works, perhaps you should look at my B Twin Vitamin. £70 new, about five years old.
    Yours for £1499.99

Call it £3000 for the pair.

£5000 for cash.

You blew it as I am not a lover of pears... :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    EKE reminds me of a colleague that whilst we were working at the Beaulieu Autojumble managed to use the line "£2 each or I'll do you a deal and you can have the pair for a fiver".
    I nearly fell over when the bloke said he'd better have the pair then.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE reminds me of a colleague that whilst we were working at the Beaulieu Autojumble managed to use the line "£2 each or I'll do you a deal and you can have the pair for a fiver".
    I nearly fell over when the bloke said he'd better have the pair then.
    It is a fantastic and low risk sales strategy. If the customer sees through it, its a joke. If they don't...

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Talk to me about wheelsets, i am looking for something to replace the stock wheels that came with my kaff.

on my previous CX bike I had some handbuilts by CRC shimano XT hubs and Mavic CXP22 rims - they cost about £150 IIRC.

anything else I should be looking at in this price range before i pull the trigger on another pair.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    rubertoe wrote:
    Talk to me about wheelsets, i am looking for something to replace the stock wheels that came with my kaff.

on my previous CX bike I had some handbuilts by CRC shimano XT hubs and Mavic CXP22 rims - they cost about £150 IIRC.

anything else I should be looking at in this price range before i pull the trigger on another pair.
    What wheels came with your Kaff? I've got Reetards but I'm thinking of making some changes too. I'd keep the back wheel as standard but change the front hub to a dynamo hub with the Reetard rim.

• rubertoe
    Some cheap Shimano Jobbies - MT something or other, they just arent cut out for the commute and are too heavy for club runs.

I need to take a spoke key to the front once a week for a re-true
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• EKE_38BPM
    I'm happy with the Reet'ards and they are now 12% off. I'd go for something lighter for club runs, but these are the hard enough or commuting duties (and riding though shallow flood water).

• rubertoe
    What size tyre you got on them EKE, i want to know if they will take 28mm gatorskins.

(I have been looking at them for general use and then getting something lighter built for club runs, If i ever get to go on another one that is.)

• indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I've had the Conti GP's 28mm on and they've been good so far. Also, can't fault the Novatech 711/712 hubs with Archetype rims, but they are more expensive unless self-built of course. Unfortunately for me, I had a off last week though and bent the front rim so kaff is off road at the moment.

Has anybody tried 32mm tyres?

I'm thinking of putting the 28's on my ss and buying some 32mm Vittoria Randoneur pro for the kaff but not sure on clearnace with 27-35 tortec mudguards.
  • rubertoe
    Novatech/Archetypes wuld be ideal - but they are just out of my price range that is all ( although i havent priced any up) or i'd be snaffleing some up.

CRC did a great job for my last set, and they dont charge for building either, so I will probably go with them, I might stretch the budget a bit on the rims and see if I can stretch to some open pro's

I'd imagine you'd get 32's on them easily (the retards that is). clearence might be tight on the Tortecs though depending on how close you run then to the 28's

• EKE_38BPM
    rubertoe wrote:
    What size tyre you got on them EKE, i want to know if they will take 28mm gatorskins.

(I have been looking at them for general use and then getting something lighter built for club runs, If i ever get to go on another one that is.)
    Factory fitted 28mm Gatorskins. I wonder what the narrowest tyres they will take are?

I definitely need to put mudguards and pannier racks on as well as a lighter wheelset so that it is better for both commuting and non-commuting duties.

• indyP wrote:
    Has anybody tried 32mm tyres?

Not as such, but I put some 30mm Schwalbe cx pros on the other week. And they (just) fitted under the mudguards. I've got 32mm Randonneur pros on my tourer, and to my eye, they look smaller than the Schwalbes, so I'd be fairly confident. Quite tempted to swap them over, as I've not found Gatorskins tremendously resilient.
  • I have 32mm Gatorskins on complete with SKS Longboard mudguards and they fit fine. I did try some 35mm tyres I had in my garage they went on the rim okay but they would not fit on the bike. I tried the randonneurs but they were really harsh and besides I have used Gators for years to commute on albeit 25mm ones and never found them to be a problem.
  • EKE_38BPM
    After commuting all of last week along the River Lea, which included bombing along about half a mile of compacted gravel, I noticed a massive buckle in my rear wheel. I thought I'd be able to true it but after getting my spoke key out I noticed a snapped spoke.
    I'm (still) toying with light (Ugo built) summer wheels and dynamo hubbed (Ugo built) winter wheels, so I gave the wheel to a new LBS to respoke. If they do a good job, good. If they don't, I'll never use them agin and I'll be getting summer and winter wheels built by Ugo.
    Win-win!

I probably average about 80 miles a week in all weather and almost all of that is with the bike carrying about 90kg of me and kit. So far (at least 2000 miles), I've had:
    Three visits (two due to the rim tape not covering the spoke holes properly)
    A creaking/clicking noise which went after removing, cleaning, relubing and reassembling the pedals, chainrings, cranks, BB, seatpost, seatpost clamp and saddle.
    Slightly reduced braking which was resolved in about thirty seconds by adjusting the pads on the BB7s
    Thats it!

Not bad, considering the roads/paths I ride on and the job I do, I think. The creaking/clicking noise is back and I'm thinking it may be new BB time.

How are the other Kaffs on the forum fairing.

• rubertoe
    I'm thinking about selling mine, although it is perfectly suitable for commuting, in fact it is a dream for commuting. I am finding that I am spending more and more time club riding. #

I therefore need something a bit quicker and a lot lighter. I am trying to convince the EPO that I should keep it and get something else as well. but due to space issues that is unlikely. So it is probably going to have to go.

I also changed the Crankset as FSA BB's are shoot, I also have a new set of wheels (XT/Open pro handbuilts) and although these upgrades make a big difference it is still not suitable for my new needs.

• EKE_38BPM
    Well, I wasn't expecting that!

I am glad and was swayed by the fact that my Kaff has a full Tiagra groupset (excluding the BB7 brakes, of course). No FSA crankset for me.

How about an Airnimal for folding speediness?

• rubertoe
    Mine now has full Tiagra (when I bought it they had FSA cranksets, which has been sold and covered the Tiagra costs). I just find riding it pretty hard work for anything more than the commute and even then it can be a pain getting back to High Barnet on a daily basis.

I'll probably keep it as it will be great with a child seat attached. I just want something more exciting.

• EKE_38BPM
    I can understand that.
    Competent though it is, its never going to compare with a more racy bike. A bit like comparing an estate car to a two seater roadster.

• rubertoe
    I might be able to do you a good deal on a wheelset EKE.....

(the stock wheels will be going back on if i sell and the handbuilts will probably be going into storage for the next Disc bike)

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Mine’s good although it fell onto it’s right side while stationary and now I can’t get the gears indexed perfectly, presumably I've bent the hanger slightly. Still useable but just a couple of sprockets where it sticks a bit or needs two clicks to shift. One of those jobs where sorting it out is slightly more hassle than just dealing with the symptoms!

Overall I love mine, the additional effort makes it a nice treat when I get to ride the good bike but it’s not a complete dog to ride. My last winter ride was a Pompetamine, absolute tank of a bike!
  • rubertoe
    I'm torn.....someone needs to tell my EPO that I need 2 bikes.

• EKE_38BPM
    rubertoe wrote:
    I'm torn.....someone needs to tell my EPO that I need 2 bikes.
    Two bikes at least.

Does she ride? Getting your other half riding seems to be the key to getting more bikes for yourself.

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Honestly, for someone that commutes daily, two bikes is not a big ask.

Frame it in terms of money saved :P

If the one bike is out of action, you have a spare, which means
    - no public transport costs
    - you have the time to do the repairs yourself which means you can buy parts cheaper online etc.

I suppose you could also try laying it on a bit thick about struggling to keep up with the club, but you might not get much sympathy there - to the untrained eye one drop handlebar racer looks like any other!

Your problem is that you have started with a practical all weather commuter - you should have started with a carbon fibre race machine (as I did) then you can justify the N+1 with the above arguments plus 'I need something I can trust in the wet..... the brakes are a nightmare' (etc)

Of course if your EPO is anything like mine, the only concern will be one of space - when I wanted my latest N+1 as soon as I made clear that it would fit in the shed with the others, all opposition dissolved.
  • rubertoe
    I am trying EKE. Trust me i am trying.

Timothy,

It is purley a practical reason and space being the issue, 2 bed flat, and bedroom 2 now Being taken over by a 20 week old little toe.

It used to house 3 bikes....