Could you guys tell if this bike is a counterfeit?

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I'd be concerned that the frame might not actually be 100% safe. It is a test bike after all, and who's to say it didn't have design flaws that were ironed out before the production models were released?
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • But surely a bike as beautiful as the Venge will never be ridden...?

If i owned it, i'd wall mount it in place of the TV and insist the family spend their evenings admiring its beauty.

Although sometimes i'd take it down to polish it.
  • TheFD wrote:
    Why the hell would anyone fake a test bike/sticker? It makes no sense and that suggests it's genuine.
    You've just answered your own question!
    It was a rhetorical question. ;)
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    TheFD wrote:
    Why the hell would anyone fake a test bike/sticker? It makes no sense and that suggests it's genuine.
    You've just answered your own question!
    It was a rhetorical question. ;)
    Then why answer it? :wink:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • I think the OP is considering buying a job lot of dodgy bikes from China and just wants to see how much convincing the market needs - 'look, see it's got a real sticker on it' :)
  • vo06.jpg
    9kod.jpg

Got about 300 miles in and it rides like a dream.

The Sram Force 22 Cranksets are amazin.
  • Looking good, just needs a pair of non-decaled deep carbon rims to complete the stealthy look.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Looking good, just needs a pair of non-decaled deep carbon rims to complete the stealthy look.
    Would that be genuine ones or chinese copies (sorry! field test ones) :lol:
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Thats looking better already, Stem looks pretty angled.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Looking better...Liking the 3T hardware.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • 2012-s-works-venge-test-bike-14415_10.jpg
    2012-s-works-venge-test-bike-14415_2.jpg
    2012-s-works-venge-test-bike-14415_6.jpg
    2012-s-works-venge-test-bike-14415_11.jpg

Put around 500 miles in now.

I think bike is about done now. Rides really nicely.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,579
    Now if only someone could recommend a good source of decals............
  • So I suppose the answer to the ops original question is... a lot of people can tell it's a counterfeit, but they are probably wrong :?

So.... no. 8)
  • I am still not convinced, as we haven't heard what the reply from Specialized was about frame number/Barcode.

Also seems to have replaced a lot of parts, and my first thought on those photos are that it's in the states?
  • Nairnster wrote:

Also seems to have replaced a lot of parts, and my first thought on those photos are that it's in the states?

Because of the lack of dog sh1t on the grass? :)
  • Nairnster wrote:
    I am still not convinced, as we haven't heard what the reply from Specialized was about frame number/Barcode.

With football goalposts in the background?

Does it make a difference if it's in the US anyway?
  • With the users Forum name (sounds Chinese - source of some of these 'fake' frames}, lack of any response from Specialized regarding the frame number, and I said looks like States. They play soccer there now you now, and the trees and layout just have more of a US feel to them for me.

I think someone thought one of the earlier photos looked like US too?

Just seems a bit unusual for what is essentially a UK forum is it not.

I still call fake.
  • I must say, it looks better than your "unknown" brand LV2 :wink:
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I think it looks great, a million miles better than the original shots. Thanks for sharing.
  • me theory is the guy has just used this forum as market research for his dodgy frames on a UK based site rather than a US one where he is based as he would have no chance of selling them in the US if this posting was on a US site.

I do occasionally, but Im sure not many UK cyclists read US forums and vice versa.

The photos im sure are 100% taken in the US, its definatley not the UK and has tweaked the look of the bike by using knowledable buyers (us) to make sure it looks as real as can be as he could not shift the first frame and now has a good basis of how to make the other frames or indeed just this one look.

any way i could be completely wrong and he is a genuine bloke
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    boborange wrote:
    The photos im sure are 100% taken in the US, its definatley not the UK

Any reasons you're so sure?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    It's got to be fake and not even carbon, look at the last pic, its so heavy it's bending that tree!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited December 2013
    boborange wrote:
    me theory is the guy has just used this forum as market research for his dodgy frames on a UK based site rather than a US one where he is based as he would have no chance of selling them in the US if this posting was on a US site.

I do occasionally, but Im sure not many UK cyclists read US forums and vice versa.

The photos im sure are 100% taken in the US, its definatley not the UK and has tweaked the look of the bike by using knowledable buyers (us) to make sure it looks as real as can be as he could not shift the first frame and now has a good basis of how to make the other frames or indeed just this one look.

This reads as pure supposition to me and I don't think it's supported by sufficient credible evidence to justify your post. Telling a poster you think he's running a scam on such a flimsy theory seems poor form to me and I don't think saying "i could be completely wrong and he is a genuine bloke" at the end makes it okay.

P.S. I've edited this post as the original raised the ire of the mods as being insulting. I thought it was pretty innocuous and considerably less insulting than yours is to the OP, however I don't particularly mind changing it. The above edit should be acceptable and says much the same thing.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    boborange wrote:
    me theory is the guy has just used this forum as market research for his dodgy frames on a UK based site rather than a US one where he is based as he would have no chance of selling them in the US if this posting was on a US site.

and the front brake is set for the LH lever – that’s not how we do things over here
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    boborange wrote:

and the front brake is set for the LH lever – that’s not how we do things over here

I'm in the UK and I set mine up that way out of personal preference. I know quite a few people as well who do this.
  • Well, I will wait to see if we ever find out what Specialized said about the frame number he apparently sent to them.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Mattsaw wrote:
    boborange wrote:
    The photos im sure are 100% taken in the US, its definatley not the UK

Any reasons you're so sure?

Not read the thread but the lines on the grass look like a baseball pitch......not generally found in the UK at least.
    Cheers, Stu
  • not so sure it's baseball/ softball markings
    the only thing that could be would be the home plate with that tree there & there is no batters box
  • Please can the Op come back on and let us know what Specialized said about the frame number.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    boborange wrote:

This reads as pure supposition to me and I don't think it's supported by sufficient credible evidence to justify your post. Telling a poster you think he's running a scam on such a flimsy theory seems poor form to me and I don't think saying "i could be completely wrong and he is a genuine bloke" at the end makes it okay.

P.S. I've edited this post as the original raised the ire of the mods as being insulting. I thought it was pretty innocuous and considerably less insulting than yours is to the OP, however I don't particularly mind changing it. The above edit should be acceptable and says much the same thing.

i have no credible evidence, like all of us i only have what has been posted, its just what i think