Could you guys tell if this bike is a counterfeit?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Russyh wrote:
    Did you not see the bit where it was discovered that it was a spesh field test bike? And as such "apparently" not a Chinese copy
    Me bad, although if the Chinese can copy frames I'm sure they could copy stickers

Bought a few things over the years knowing they were fakes. I can confirm the Chinese are very good indeed at copying packaging / tags / stickers / barcodes / even holograms.
  • Was it declared by Specialized as a field test bike, or just confirmed by barcode? If Spesh are saying that the bike is a field test bike I will assume the bike is legit, otherwise they would not have the serial number details.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    It's a small thing I know but I would expect someone owning a genuine high-end bike to have such interest in their bike and fundamental knowledge about bikes to know which way round the front wheel should go.

The wheel is in the right way round.

It's the quick release that's the wrong way round.

Agree though....not a good sign
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    It seems a little strange that the OP hasn't posted a picture of this actual bar code. Just one from online and the message "it has a sticker like this one"

The whole things smells a little to me. Especially the sellers story!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • k14b.jpg
    aug0.jpg

Old pics. Right now, I have shimano c24's on there as of now. I'll post more pictures tomorrow.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TheFD wrote:
    It seems a little strange that the OP hasn't posted a picture of this actual bar code. Just one from online and the message "it has a sticker like this one"

Really? If I was faking a Specialized, the last model I'd try to fake is one which looks superficially like a fake and only convincing to people who know a lot about Specialized bikes. It's going to be far easier to take someone in with a bike with a half convincing paint job like the ropey Dogma fakes.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    That thing is just monstrous
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    goonz wrote:

I'm I the only one who thinks it doesn't look bad, it just looks like a road bike. A lot of road bike frames look the same to me.

If I had to choose between two similar spec bikes I'd pick the one with the nicest paint. As I see little difference in the frame and I doubt one road bike frame will be noticeably quicker than another similar frame. I quite like the paint on the Team Liquigas Cannondale Supersix.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    ben@31 wrote:
    goonz wrote:

I'm I the only one who thinks it doesn't look bad, it just looks like a road bike. A lot of road bike frames look the same to me.

If I had to choose between two similar spec bikes I'd pick the one with the nicest paint. As I see little difference in the frame and I doubt one road bike frame will be noticeably quicker than another similar frame. I quite like the paint on the Team Liquigas Cannondale Supersix.
    You could'nt get much more different than a venge and a supersix. Think my mum could even spot the difference in appearance. :shock:
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Wow - Some of you guys are full of it.
    Stating opinion as fact doesn't make it fact.

I haven't counted but probably half the posts in this thread are assertions that the bike is hideous and/or obviously a fake. Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder, we're all fashion victims to some extent but seriously, get a grip. A plain black bike doesn't look half bad to me. If you're not obsessed with "prestige" then it doesn't matter a damn if your venge says venge on it. As to whether it's fake. Sure this one wasn't obviously genuine but nor is/was it a fake. A bit of objectivity would be nice.
  • thefd
    Rolf F wrote:
    TheFD wrote:

Really? If I was faking a Specialized, the last model I'd try to fake is one which looks superficially like a fake and only convincing to people who know a lot about Specialized bikes. It's going to be far easier to take someone in with a bike with a half convincing paint job like the ropey Dogma fakes.
    But if you are trying to buy one at a good price or have already bought it you would do your best to convince yourself and others that it is genuine. So you think you have bought a bargain and not a dud! Happens all the time with fake Van Gogh paintings and the like. Everyone likes to convince themselves it is worth more than it is!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Objectivity? This is bike radar. None of that around here. I was told that my pride and joy spesh roubaix was plug ugly ... Apparently for no other reason than it has those insert things on it. Makes no odds to me... I like it and the usual rissole bike snobs that seem to think that the sun shines out of their own rear end can go and spin...
  • Looks cool, and the cool factor of being able to tell most people with the same bike that mine is the test bike adds lots of bragging points.
  • rolf_f
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Objectivity? This is bike radar. None of that around here. I was told that my pride and joy spesh roubaix was plug ugly ... Apparently for no other reason than it has those insert things on it.

They make a good point :wink:
  • Mikey23
    Bitch!
  • Mikey23
    Oooerrr, didn't think that was a rude word!
  • rolf_f
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Oooerrr, didn't think that was a rude word!

Well what rude word was it?! :lol:
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    I reckon it was *****
  • Mikey23
    Nah, none of those... I would never use that kind of language...
  • bob7896
    bob7896 Posts: 18
    I wouldn't buy it. As people have said earlier it could look identical to a certain carbon fiber bike, if its come of the same mould, but if a cheaper grade fiber has been used, or the proper processes haven't been followed it will be no where near a strong as it should be. The other possibility is it is a genuine frame what some one has crashed, then had repainted hide scratches or cracks. Either way I wouldn't think about buying it. (And probably wouldn't think about buying a 2nd hand carbon bike from anyone apart from a close friend.)
  • Ai_1 wrote:

I haven't counted but probably half the posts in this thread are assertions that the bike is hideous and/or obviously a fake. Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder, we're all fashion victims to some extent but seriously, get a grip. A plain black bike doesn't look half bad to me. If you're not obsessed with "prestige" then it doesn't matter a damn if your venge says venge on it. As to whether it's fake. Sure this one wasn't obviously genuine but nor is/was it a fake. A bit of objectivity would be nice.
    Don't get your knickers in a twist.

The OP asked for opinions on whether the frame is counterfeit so people are free to give their views on this point. As for it being fugly, even the OP thinks it is and has already bought numerous parts to remedy this.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Ai_1 wrote:

The OP asked for opinions on whether the frame is counterfeit so people are free to give their views on this point. As for it being fugly, even the OP thinks it is and has already bought numerous parts to remedy this.
    You missed my point entirely.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

You missed my point entirely.
    You had a point? Other than getting your knickers in a twist and disregarding the OP, what was your point?
  • I can't see Specialized letting a "Field-Test" bike out of their sight (and when no longer required, are probably destroyed), so I would say this is highly likely to be a fake.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I can't see Specialized letting a "Field-Test" bike out of their sight (and when no longer required, are probably destroyed), so I would say this is highly likely to be a fake.

If you read earlier you'll see the seller bought it from a lost shipping auction.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    lawrences wrote:
    I can't see Specialized letting a "Field-Test" bike out of their sight (and when no longer required, are probably destroyed), so I would say this is highly likely to be a fake.

If you read earlier you'll see the seller bought it from somebody claiming it came from a lost shipping auction.

To be more accurate
  • Well good on OP if he's managed to get a bike like that for the price he paid.

I do wonder what happened to final test bikes, bikes used for reviews and even bikes used on tours etc.
    Where do they all go? Someone is getting a bargain.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    keef66 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

If you read earlier you'll see the seller bought it from somebody claiming it came from a lost shipping auction.

To be more accurate

No it isn't
    The guy who sold it says he bought it from a freight auction. You've gone and added an extra link in the chain.
  • Why the hell would anyone fake a test bike/sticker? It makes no sense and that suggests it's genuine.
  • thefd
    Why the hell would anyone fake a test bike/sticker? It makes no sense and that suggests it's genuine.
    You've just answered your own question!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac