Could you guys tell if this bike is a counterfeit?

sungminyoo
sungminyoo Posts: 11
edited December 2013 in Road general
Looks like a specialized Venge, but has no decals whatsoever.

Most parts seem like specialized oem as well

3wz9.jpg

Comments

• navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Got to ask why would anyone produce a Spesh with no decals?

Looks dodgey. If you are thinking of buying, don't. IMHO of course.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Looks like a copy of the McLaren Version. Also available on Alibaba ;)
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    It's not a Dengfu FM-098 and it looks remarkably like a Venge - perhaps it's a genuine Venge but the owner has had the paint/decals professionally removed?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Top tube is a litter thicker at the head, but it might be the contrast of the white on the black paint. Apart from that its pretty close to the FM-98.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yikes - looks fugly! Love the 1970s cage pedals though :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Driveway looks very much like the way them make em in america? Looks well iffy to me
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would go further and say there is no bike for sale.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm going to go check it out today. What can I look for to check if it is fake?
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Are those wheels the cheap deep section wheels for sale on eBay? Usually come with a fixie hub? Looks like a load of cheapest parts to me matey.
  • declan1
    diy wrote:
    Top tube is a litter thicker at the head, but it might be the contrast of the white on the black paint. Apart from that its pretty close to the FM-98.

You can tell from the top of the headtube. The FM98 extends beyond the top tube where the Venge has the plastic cover thing that integrates with the top tube.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    sungminyoo wrote:
    I'm going to go check it out today. What can I look for to check if it is fake?

Fake what? Is it actually advertised as a Venge?
  • Strith wrote:
    sungminyoo wrote:
    I'm going to go check it out today. What can I look for to check if it is fake?

Fake what? Is it actually advertised as a Venge?

Yep.
  • declan1
    That is almost definitely a Venge. I cannot see a single difference, going down to the exact cable holes and bottle cage boss locations.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Strith
    Well the fact it has no stickers is a bit worrying straight away, but that's not that unusual.

It looks very close to me, down tube and the top of the fork look a bit off, but its almost impossible to tell in that photo. Got any close ups? Cable guides/routing and things like that are often the biggest giveaway.
  • 10256100326_3f30b706c6_c.jpg
    10256101746_0d7e4a9ee4_c.jpg
    10256005894_f25cbb945d_c.jpg
    10256010844_59f425ece6_c.jpg
    10256108566_a499b2d870_c.jpg
    10256217523_fcc64a9ce0_c.jpg

All the photos he has.
  • Strith
    I'll be honest, from those pics I still can't be sure. The lack of stickers, finish and the mix and match of kit are putting me right off.

That would be enough to stop me buying it, but if you go look at it ask for some proof of purchase from the seller, and a good reason as to why there are no decals.

If you can, try and check out a new one in a store before you go.

And if it's really cheap, then it's either fake or stolen.
  • It could be a perfectly reasonable, working roller.

I would stay away.

Looks Fugly for a kick off. I don't like specialized designs anyway, have always thought they look like mutants or too sloping like kids geometry bike looks.

Could be re-painted? - if so, why?

The wheels look strange too. the Chinese Carbons look more genuine than this ! :lol:
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Not sure why you are asking? Genuine or not, I would pass on it and move on to the next one. It looks awful, and those wheels suck big time.

Terrible glossy paint finish, Fugly.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I bet it is made in the venge mould on the twilight shift in the same factory using leftover resin and bits of scrap carbon, then smuggled out the back gate
  • It's a small thing I know but I would expect someone owning a genuine high-end bike to have such interest in their bike and fundamental knowledge about bikes to know which way round the front wheel should go.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bound to be a fake. Why would someone take a premium bike and make it look like a Chinese copy ?

And he's not even cleaned it properly.
  • LOOKS NICE
    As long as it rides well .... :D well that's all that counts.
  • dwanes
    IT LOOKS AWFUL.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    What the feck are those rims? They belong on some Shoreditch hipster's single speed.

Just not a good looking bike at all.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I blame Wiggle
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    Ask to see the original receipt? someone paying that much for a bike would surely have kept it, in case anything went wrong and he had a warranty claim. No original proof of purchase is dodgy for something this pricey, I reckon.

Can you ask for a pic of the frame number and check to see if it's registered as stolen?
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • dwanes
    Jehannum wrote:
    Ask to see the original receipt? someone paying that much for a bike would surely have kept it, in case anything went wrong and he had a warranty claim. No original proof of purchase is dodgy for something this pricey, I reckon.

Can you ask for a pic of the frame number and check to see if it's registered as stolen?

Why not just move on to the next bike for sale? Dont waste your time, there are plenty others around, new or used.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Easily copied, but check for a frame number and try and cross reference it with Specialized?
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,611
    Did Spesh do a Venge with SRAM RIval/Force?

In fairness the seller could have just put any old wheels on as he wanted to keep the ones he took off...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Surely there would be a serial number you could check on it?

Either way that monstrosity looks horrid.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875