London drinks

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Yep. I'll be there about 6-ish...
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Would love to be there, but it's in the wrong country and I'd need a visa... :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Will be there.

I've got a TUE for work on Tuesday.
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Has anyone booked?

I feel like we ought to book.

How many of us?
  • dish_dash
    Table for 6 booked at 6pm under the name dish... sounds like we could easily upsize if necessary but there is a table there for us.

See ya all there!

http://dovepubs.com/contact-dovetail/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I thought you City types worked really hard, how can you get to the pub for 6?
  • Pross wrote:

Christmas week innit. Quiet as. If you're in Sales, your books closed Friday etc
  • rick_chasey
    Aye.

Phones stop ringing in December.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Pross wrote:

These City types have quite a lot of time to post, so leaving early shouldn't be a challenge.
  • ridgerider
    Beany

Have you sold one of your Bitcoins to fund this evening?
    Half man, Half bike
  • dish_dash
    Ridge Rider and I are here. The Dish sign on the table is unavoidable as you come through the door.
  • rick_chasey
    RR2; outstanding banter in person!!!
  • ridgerider
    Blimey everyone was angry last night!

It started as soon as we all sat down...no-one had brought any of that cash stuff ("it makes my wallet so bulky") but once we had negotiated a decent bitcoin rate with the bar staff, it was jugs of De Koninck all night. And when it came to buying something to eat, we had to play contactless card bingo where we each gave our cards to Rick and he held them all together over the reader, and we will find out which card was charged for it all when we next check our statements. Anyway...back to 'Beer Stop' as I am labelling the event, it was like Cake Stop, but you could actually see our emojos in our actual faces. It's really handy that way as you can tell what the other people actually mean when they say something. :!:

Anyway...back to the arguments: -

a. We wondered if it was possible to like someone on the 'Pro Race' forum, but dislike them in 'Cake Stop'. Undecided...

b. If you enter an Audax called the "Chiltern 200" expecting a glorious rolling pastoral ride, should you expect to end up in Aldershot?

c. To prove the bullying culture still exists in the city, as a bearded outsider, to show how stupid I look, I got picked on to go and stand outside the pub and count how many men with beards walk past in 15 minutes. As it was in Clerkenwell, I came back in and told them "all of them", which just made them even angrier!

d. Is it better to live in the flattest place you can find, or on a hill? One will remind you of your home country all the time, and the other means you don't need a functioning groupset on you bike to get into work in the morning (although I don't think BB has realised there is going to have a problem getting home every day).

e(u). In or out? In.

f. We had to inform Rick that the phrase 'innit' is a derogatory term for the Inuit people and he needs to stop using it at the end of each of his post.

g. Cycling chat cropped up at odd moments. No-one could remember a good race during the year, but if this or that had happened, or a route was slightly tweaked, then it would have been a classic year.

h. DD won the "Well there's a surprise " sweepstake with Froome, and we have all made our choices for next year.

i. Any other business: sex-changes/grammar rules/child care/shoe colour

All in all, an exhausting 5.4% session, to be experienced at least once a year. Good to meet you all and thanks for an entertaining evening. :evil:
    Half man, Half bike
  • RR2; outstanding banter in person!!!

:oops:

Off to India today so common sense & packing were order of the day
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Ridgerider wrote:

It started as soon as we all sat down...no-one had brought any of that cash stuff ("it makes my wallet so bulky") but once we had negotiated a decent bitcoin rate with the bar staff, it was jugs of De Koninck all night. And when it came to buying something to eat, we had to play contactless card bingo where we each gave our cards to Rick and he held them all together over the reader, and we will find out which card was charged for it all when we next check our statements. Anyway...back to 'Beer Stop' as I am labelling the event, it was like Cake Stop, but you could actually see our emojos in our actual faces. It's really handy that way as you can tell what the other people actually mean when they say something. :!:

a. We wondered if it was possible to like someone on the 'Pro Race' forum, but dislike them in 'Cake Stop'. Undecided...

b. If you enter an Audax called the "Chiltern 200" expecting a glorious rolling pastoral ride, should you expect to end up in Aldershot?

c. To prove the bullying culture still exists in the city, as a bearded outsider, to show how stupid I look, I got picked on to go and stand outside the pub and count how many men with beards walk past in 15 minutes. As it was in Clerkenwell, I came back in and told them "all of them", which just made them even angrier!

d. Is it better to live in the flattest place you can find, or on a hill? One will remind you of your home country all the time, and the other means you don't need a functioning groupset on you bike to get into work in the morning (although I don't think BB has realised there is going to have a problem getting home every day).

e(u). In or out? In.

f. We had to inform Rick that the phrase 'innit' is a derogatory term for the Inuit people and he needs to stop using it at the end of each of his post.

g. Cycling chat cropped up at odd moments. No-one could remember a good race during the year, but if this or that had happened, or a route was slightly tweaked, then it would have been a classic year.

h. DD won the "Well there's a surprise " sweepstake with Froome, and we have all made our choices for next year.

All in all, an exhausting 5.4% session, to be experienced at least once a year. Good to meet you all and thanks for an entertaining evening. :evil:

Great summary as always RidgeRider. Sorry I missed it. Item C particularly raised a chuckle.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dish_dash
    Was a great evening and as ever a great summary RidgeRider! Good to catch up with all of you.

Excellent venue, RR2, shame you missed it. Thanks for the suggestion. The beer and stew were top notch...

IMAG3418_zpsyqpvgdz7.jpg
  • TheBigBean
    Credit to RichmondRacer2 for the venue choice. Demerits for the no show. You're all square.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    was meant to be free but something came up with work. Hopefully if we do summer drinks I can make that one instead. Glad everyone had a good time
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ridgerider wrote:

e(u). In or out? In.

Waaaheeey! Po Face bants!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ridgerider wrote:

e(u). In or out? In.

x8QExj.gif
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Could say the same about many of your BB in jokes Matthew!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Ridgerider wrote:
    But here is the text version for those without satellite.

A genuine set of triple A rated BR posters (and me) attended tonight's bash...Dish Dash, Joelsim, Frenchfighter, Sir Rick, the Big Bean and Timoid. You couldn't have assembled a more knowledgeable team for all the money in Bahrain.
    Tim and the Bean were soon comparing pictures of their new born babies at their toddler pilates classes, whilst JS explained about the joys of daytime tv and the fact that this was the first time he had every been to central London. But talk soon turned to the sport that we all love to hate and despite having all year to prepare, the two times everyone turned at me to provide the definitive answer to a lottonl jumbo question, I failed. However, bigger issue were raised and ranted over, including, I tbink...

1. How does Cancellation manage to ride his bikes with no discernable wobble?
    2. How only clean riders wear white socks.
    3. How Terpstra will never be any of 'our men'.
    4. Who has the happiest, healthier riders, Sky or Dimension Data?
    5. The feeding habits of cats (well we had to, it was a condition of him coming)
    6. Who's has the least idea, Trump or Johnson?
    7. How real bike commuters are out of the house by 7.30.
    8. The easiest berg we have been up in Belgium
    9. How the sport needs to slow down camera bikes by sticking a spike up from their handlebars.
    10. TUEs of course.

We did think that our 'big idea' from last year's get together had succeeded beyond our expectations...to create a new user that any of us could all log on as if we wanted to have a little dig at someone or to put really stupid ideas out there to see if we could just get one person to agree with them. We didn't quite manage the last part, but it was fun trying. We were not sure whether we will be able to top it next year, but we agreed on a new user name for 2017, so watch this space.
    So, as the beer (or ale as we call it down here) flowed, and the talk turned to riders whose names I did not recognise (only because I read ticker feeds rather than hear them pronounced on tv), I made my excuses and left. But only after we had all witnessed the spectacle of joelsim leaping out of his chair and chasing a mouse round the pub. That man needs to get out more.

Just quoting before it's conveniently deleted. Posterity and all that :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    Ridgerider - the good people of Cake Stop have taken issue with your write up from 2 years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=13095900
  • ridgerider
    Not sure why... I think they want a fight.
    Half man, Half bike
  • dish_dash
    So folks, how about some BRPR London drinks again? Anyone up for it?

Before year end, I could do 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 18 December.

We could re-visit the Dovetail and it's Belgian beer/food.

• rick_chasey
    Good venue choice. 16-17-18 works best for me.
  • ridgerider
    As long as it has a loo, I'll try and be there.
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I think you've just missed my last London visit this year, unless something else comes up.

Bought a Brompton from Condor cycles yesterday :)
  • ridgerider
    That qualifies you as a true cockney!
    Half man, Half bike
  • TheBigBean
    I don't think I will be able to make it this year.