The way to behave

Comments

• hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Nearly killing yourself to pass a clearly faster rider then plonking yourself in front of them and sitting up because you've expended all your energy passing them, thereby forcing them to brake or quickly ride around you. This usually results in another attempt to pass them and the cycle repeats until one of the riders turns off or gets a smack.

Swearing at motorists for any minor infraction. It's usually textbook mamils that do this.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    There's usually no need to jump red lights. As most are in more urban areas, just hop onto the pavement and carry on. Don't worry about peds, they will move out of your way. If not, shouting something like 'oi, move' seems to work. At the other side of the junction, you can simply hop back into the flow of traffic. It is significantly more fun if this last step is carried out without looking.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    dave02 wrote:
    good point about the rubbish, i have a friend who lives on a sportive route and gets well p
    off with gel wrappers all over the place, do they make a wrapper that dissolves when it gets wet ? if not they should

I hope i'm missing the sarcasm here, but - Gel is of itself, wet.
  • peat
    RLJ'ing - There is a system. Without the system there is chaos. Stick the the system and everyone is happy/mutually dissatisfied.

Littering

Hocking lugeys/clearing nostrils without checking behind you or considering wind direction.

Not acknowledging another rider's existence (in a rural setting) - That's a whole other thread, there have been plenty.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Peat wrote:
    dave02 wrote:
    good point about the rubbish, i have a friend who lives on a sportive route and gets well p
    off with gel wrappers all over the place, do they make a wrapper that dissolves when it gets wet ? if not they should

I don't think it's the actual gel people care about, more what the gel comes in.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    hstiles wrote:
    Swearing at motorists for any minor infraction. It's usually textbook mamils that do this.
    Haha sorry but when some impatient moron endangers my life (not to mention anyone else unlucky enough to share the road with them) all for the sake of saving a few (probably illusory) seconds, I find a nice bout of swearing is a good way to cope. I don't even swear at them if that makes it better, they're usually overtaking dangerously and so are off up the road, but a bit of venting and a finger in their mirrors makes me feel better. And if they notice and realise they maybe, just maybe did something wrong, that's good too. I don't know exactly what you mean by 'minor' but I don't care about most stupid things drivers do, only the incidents that put me in genuine danger.
  • peat
    Gozzy wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    dave02 wrote:

I don't think it's the actual gel people care about, more what the gel comes in.

Yes, and if that was water soluble, the gel inside would dissolve it. Ergo - it wouldn't work.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Don't stop in a group for a chat on a fifty yard stretch of narrow country road between two blind bends (witnessed by me last weekend).
  • gozzy
    Peat wrote:
    Gozzy wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    dave02 wrote:

Yes, and if that was water soluble, the gel inside would dissolve it. Ergo - it wouldn't work.

Duh. I had the dumb this morning.Mind though, I'm sure someone or other could convince some cyclists to buy the emperor's new clothes of energy gels...
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Phil_D wrote:
    please would you let me know the things you see cyclists doing that I ought not do.
    Paying attention to the rubbish that's spouted by the numerous idiots on here.
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, if the pros started eating poo poo would you have it in gel form, just eat a banana and a jam sarny wrapped in brown paper, your only out for a few hrs , get over yourselfs
  • gozzy
    And sweeping generalisations are helpful.
  • Dudders29 wrote:
    Don't go through red traffic lights, that really does boil my wee-wee !

I agree. Especially does my head in when guys do it on the club run whilst wearing the club jersey. Also, some of the guys always ride recklessly through town on the final run in to the coffee shop - no need! Why take risks and wind up the locals?
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    when all roads lead to Rome all you can do is make sweeping statements, if all points of view are right then they must all so be wrong !, we all ride for different reasons with the same goal, its just that i am always right :evil: :lol:
  • Dudders29 wrote:
    Don't go through red traffic lights, that really does boil my wee-wee !

I agree. Especially does my head in when guys do it on the club run whilst wearing the club jersey. Also, some of the guys always ride recklessly through town on the final run in to the coffee shop - no need! Why take risks and wind up the locals?

All club runs should end with a 2 man breakaway for the last 5 miles.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    First one in pays for the round
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    First one in pays for the round

More likely they pay for the rotund
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    edited October 2013
    Club riders.... Clicky A-holes some of them.
  • On a ride yesterday evening two absolute cocks dressed in Older team sky copy kits decided to cut in front of me at a junction whilst turning right. They failed to stop and darted across the road. Not only putting themselves at risk but causing annoyance in oncoming drivers and myself.

I really don't get some of our fellow riders sometimes. Firstly for going around in a team kit (your not in the team and your no way near thst level) and secondly for the behaviour.

I fired up the afterburners and caught them up and hounded them ready to give them a piece of my mind but they turned off to go up a brow and I gave in.

My question is... Was it the right behaviour to chase down with anger ready to bollock them? I don't know. Do you let it go.. Or show them up?!
  • gozzy
    Don't let it worry you or spoil your ride.

Car drivers get annoyed by a new thing every 5 seconds, so they'll have soon forgotten about someone darting across their path.

Do you get bothered by people wearing football team jerseys? Do you think, you can't wear that, you're not in the team nor that good a player! No, you just think they support that team. Same applies to cycling team kit.
    Why people get so arsey about bike team kit I don't know.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    Kajjal wrote:

Very simple,

The A road was busy on both sides and also had poor visibility due to winding round various corners. They just stayed there affectively blocking one side of the road winding up a long queue of other road users behind them. This is very arrogant behaviour and in this case very dangerous. We were on the way to do some mountain biking and could not believe what they were up to , including one of them shaking his fists at car drivers who beeped their horns at them.

Your suggestion of doing similar to stop cars over taking you is equally bizare , there are enough risks cycling on roads without creating your own ;)

So at what point could you of over taken the cyclists even if they were single file? Even then you would of had to cross the white line on a blind corner with busy traffic.

Is your shovel big enough?
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Gozzy wrote:
    Do you get bothered by people wearing football team jerseys? Do you think, you can't wear that, you're not in the team nor that good a player! No, you just think they support that team. Same applies to cycling team kit.
    Why people get so arsey about bike team kit I don't know.

It's not the same at all, as most people in Football tops are supporters. If you were playing five-a-side and everybody is knocking about and someone turns up in full look-a-likey Lionel Messi gear, he'd look like a bit of a plonker just like cyslists do if they are out in full team kit.... it's not a problem though, in fact it gives other cyclists something to laugh at.
  • hatch87
    In the interest of fairness, I looked on the .gov site and it does state 'never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends'
    Might as well fuel the fire :D

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-5 ... w-59-to-71
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • mfin
    edited October 2013
    hatch87 wrote:
    In the interest of fairness, I looked on the .gov site and it does state 'never ride more than two abreast, and ride in SINGLE FILE on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends'

The bold bit is the bit that people who 'think they know better' don't do and by not doing it inconvenience a lot of other road users.

Also says you "must not ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner"

It's all common sense and common courtesy really, amazing how many people lack those.
  • 700c
    700c Posts: 59
    To get back on topic and to answer your question OP, about things you should not do

1. Being impolite towards all other road users.

2. Not following the highway code

otherwise do what you want..
  • hatch87
    mfin wrote:
    hatch87 wrote:
    In the interest of fairness, I looked on the .gov site and it does state 'never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends'

The bold bit is the bit that people who 'think they know better' don't do and by not doing it inconvenience a lot of other road users.

Also says you "must not ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner"

It's all common sense and common courtesy really, amazing how many people lack those.

Indeed, but to a lot of motorists, just being on the bike is dangerous, careless and inconsiderate :mrgreen:
  • mfin
    hatch87 wrote:
    Indeed, but to a lot of motorists, just being on the bike is dangerous, careless and inconsiderate :mrgreen:

I don't know if it's a lot of motorists, I'd say a very very small minority of them would get annoyed at any cyclist if the cyclist was doing all they reasonably can to not hold them up... and that's the way everyone should cycle.
  • mfin wrote:
    [/quote]
    That same document says that, when overtaking a cyclist, to give AT LEAST as much room as you would when overtaking a car. By cycling single file on a lane with traffic coming the other way, it encourages drivers to try and squeeze through a gap that isn't big enough. Cycling 2 abreast FORCES the motorist to think about the overtake, rather than blindly just driving within inches of the cyclist. So, even if they were in single file, no-one would have been able to overtake anyway, if they stuck to THEIR side of the road-sharing bargain.
  • hatch87
    mfin wrote:
    hatch87 wrote:

I don't know if it's a lot of motorists, I'd say a very very small minority of them would get annoyed at any cyclist if the cyclist was doing all they reasonably can to not hold them up... and that's the way everyone should cycle.

Its dependent on when and where. Most of my cycling is 7pm onwards around quiet country roads with good visibility and 99% of time I'm given plenty of room and even have people pull over for me on single country lanes :shock: . The moment I enter a town/city especially around rush hour time, then I feel very unwanted, very quickly
  • gozzy
    mfin wrote:

It's not the same at all, as most people in Football tops are supporters. If you were playing five-a-side and everybody is knocking about and someone turns up in full look-a-likey Lionel Messi gear, he'd look like a bit of a plonker just like cyslists do if they are out in full team kit.... it's not a problem though, in fact it gives other cyclists something to laugh at.

Ok, so you look a bit of a dick and someone might laugh.
    Does that mean people need to get arsey over whether or not you're in a team or how good a rider you are?
    I mean really? Why would you care?