cat

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I meant infamous not famous, sorry for the confusion caused.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b wrote:
    I meant infamous not famous, sorry for the confusion caused.
    Oh well, that cleared that up thank you. I should tell mum. Infamous is good yes?
    An infamous ologied subhuman prick. Letters after my name. Now how cool is that. :D
  • Shortcuts you sound like David Brent.

Think about that. Not cool, not clever. David Brent.
  • It's a touch off topic but I've been more than happy to sort out cat problems in the past back home with a Ruger Mini-14 (5.56mm) and a Beretta 5 shot semi auto 12 gauge. Bagged 3 in one shot once :)
  • noodles71 wrote:
    It's a touch off topic but I've been more than happy to sort out cat problems in the past back home with a Ruger Mini-14 (5.56mm) and a Beretta 5 shot semi auto 12 gauge. Bagged 3 in one shot once :)
    :lol:
  • Shortcuts you sound like David Brent.

Think about that. Not cool, not clever. David Brent.
    I'm sure that is meant as a compliment. :lol:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I hate cats, and especially the way they use my garden as a toilet and kill the local wildlife. I particularly hate the cat that figured out how to open the lid of our bird box, and ate all the chicks inside. I also hated the cats that shat in my sandpit when I was a kid, and the ones that kept me awake by fighting in our garden. However it's not the cat's fault that it's a cat living in an urban environment. I do get a bit p*ssed off with cat owners who don't consider the impact of their beloved carnivore on the surrounding area, but not enough to wish actual harm to either pet or owner.

I don't normally get attached to animals; last time that happened it was a local un-neutered tom cat, which I had to punch before it would let go. I wouldn't be particularly upset if that particular creature met an untimely end...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • My only major crash was due to a cat running across the road and into my front wheel (bloody radial lacing). I am therefore not very sympathetic of cats allowed to roam outside private properties... not sure why they are, not sure why the legislation is so slack, given there are 10 millions of them... when I cycle along the canal I often think how easy it would be to just push them in the water, but then I refrain, slow down and try to anticipate their unpredictable moves... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    I think the only thing that bugs me about cats is that they're such dirty animals....... No worse than dogs I grant you, but how many dogs climb on your kitchen worktop (and every other surface in the house) and nap on your bed?

For some reason fluffy/cute = clean.......

I swear we'd call them vermin if every cat in the world suddenly lost all it's fur.
  • MOARspeed wrote:
    I think the only thing that bugs me about cats is that they're such dirty animals....... No worse than dogs I grant you, but how many dogs climb on your kitchen worktop (and every other surface in the house) and nap on your bed?

I swear we'd call them vermin if every cat in the world suddenly lost all it's fur.

Or just the fluffy tail... we'd call them rats... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    MOARspeed wrote:

So you've never seen or heard of someone letting their dog sleep on the sofa/bed :? You can always train cats not to get on the worktop.

Talking of cleanliness, one of my parents cats once used the bathroom - unfortunately, he'd got the right room, but something was lost in translation, and he was found trying to cover up a turd carefully placed over the bath plughole.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    Lots of people consider squirrels to be vermin; in fact I know one cat lover who strongly believes grey squirrels should be culled because they're such a nuisance (though I have no idea what form that nuisance takes). Given that squirrels appear to be vegetarian, don't tend to invite themselves into strange houses, and appear to relieve themselves far less conspicuously, I find them a lot less of a nuisance than other peoples' cats...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    rjsterry wrote:
    he was found trying to cover up a turd carefully placed over the bath plughole.

With his paws?
    Did he then lick his paws clean?
    Did he then proceed to lick his owner?

I once woke up at 3am to find my ex-s "cute and clean" cat, standing on the bed with a last night dinner hanging from it's ar5e.
    If I went on a date and sat their licking my hands to clean my face, would that lead to a 2nd date? What if I had a fear of water?
    What makes a saliva caked cat, in any way shape or form, clean?

Nobody will ever convince me they are clean animals :p
    TGOTB wrote:
    Lots of people consider squirrels to be vermin; in fact I know one cat lover who strongly believes grey squirrels should be culled because they're such a nuisance (though I have no idea what form that nuisance takes). Given that squirrels appear to be vegetarian, don't tend to invite themselves into strange houses, and appear to relieve themselves far less conspicuously, I find them a lot less of a nuisance than other peoples' cats...

Grey Squirrels carry a virus which kills the native red squirrels, the Grey is larger than the red (just like everything else American), consuming larger amounts of food, which harms other wildlife (birds/etc).
  • MOARspeed wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

With his paws?

No animals are clean by the standards of humans. Come to think of it, quite a few humans aren't clean by the standards of humans either.

What's your point (about cats)?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Fish are probably quite clean.
  • BigLights wrote:

Swimming around all day long in their own p!ss? Are you mental? No wonder they smell so bad. :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    MOARspeed wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

With his paws?

I once woke up at 3am to find my ex-s "cute and clean" cat, standing on the bed with a last night dinner hanging from it's ar5e.
    If I went on a date and sat their licking my hands to clean my face, would that lead to a 2nd date? What if I had a fear of water?

I'm sure there's a niche website somewhere - I seem to remember a craze for eyeball licking in Japan.

Cat's don't normally lick people; that's dogs. They're also not "caked in saliva": the 'washing' is more like brushing, using the bristles on their tongues. Nobody is suggesting a cat is clean enough to eat your dinner off, but then you could say the same about pretty much any pet. As for your ex's cat, if you let it roam around the house at night, then what do you expect?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tgotb
    MOARspeed wrote:
    Grey Squirrels carry a virus which kills the native red squirrels, the Grey is larger than the red (just like everything else American), consuming larger amounts of food, which harms other wildlife (birds/etc).
    Stealing its food doesn't harm the other wildlife quite as much as killing it, though...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    There's not actually any evidence that domestic cats have a noticeable effect on local wildlife.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    MOARspeed wrote:
    If I went on a date and sat their licking my hands to clean my face, would that lead to a 2nd date?

No. But that kind of behaviour would be considered very odd. BECAUSE YOU ARE A HUMAN BEING.

What an odd approach to this debate, young man.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    BigLights wrote:

Swimming around all day long in their own p!ss? Are you mental? No wonder they smell so bad. :wink:

well, if you put it like that, anyone who lives in London or a major UK city WASHES in other peoples' p!ss and poop....the sewage water is recycled.
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    rjsterry wrote:
    There's not actually any evidence that domestic cats have a noticeable effect on local wildlife.

The problem is however when they give up living in houses and live on the streets or go feral. A feral cat is devastating to the environment and elimination by any means possible as quick as possible desirable. It only takes a couple of generations of being feral and a constant food source and little moggie becomes little frankenstein.
  • rjsterry
    noodles71 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

The problem is however when they give up living in houses and live on the streets or go feral. A feral cat is devastating to the environment and elimination by any means possible as quick as possible desirable. It only takes a couple of generations of being feral and a constant food source and little moggie becomes little frankenstein.

Devastating? Give over. Have you got anything to back that statement up? I can see that they might be a problem in a non-native habitat (much like many other European animals introduced into other parts of the world)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    rjsterry wrote:
    Have you got anything to back that statement up?

This is the internet
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    MOARspeed wrote:

You would get a second date if you sat licking your eyebrows.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    I thought the whole points of having cats around was to control rodents? Suddenly, after 6000 years, everyone's complaining about decimating wildlife. Our two leave us a head and a liver or two every night, so there doesn't seem to be a shortage. Birds, which I assume is what you mean by wildlife and which because they are pretty colours are more worthy of your pity, are a rarity. Feathers are too much bother, probably. And they can fly off.

Offset your cat ownership by feeding the birds. There, I fixed it.

Hedgehogs, birds and all other creatures sh!t in your garden too, but the turds are more difficult to spot. Its all soil though, innit?

I've never trod in a cat turd, or landed on one after a spectacular save on the local football pitch, have you?

Lets complain about badgers instead. Or republicans. Republicans are hateful creatures.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    There is regularly cats poop in my garden which if we don't spot in time frequently ends up on my children. Particularly annoying when they do it in front of the goal.
    Hedgehogs and birds etc aren't such an isssue due to size and not being so foul and smelly.
    I can't stand cats but I wish neither them nor their owners no ill. It bugs me though that so many owners are so defensive of their pets to the point of denying that they have a negative effect on the local neighbourhood.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    merkin wrote:
    There is regularly cats poop in my garden which if we don't spot in time frequently ends up on my children. Particularly annoying when they do it in front of the goal.
    Hedgehogs and birds etc aren't such an isssue due to size and not being so foul and smelly.
    I can't stand cats but I wish neither them nor their owners no ill. It bugs me though that so many owners are so defensive of their pets to the point of denying that they have a negative effect on the local neighbourhood.
    My local neighbourhood is a field, with occasional sheep. Before that it was some annoying chavs. In either case the location of my cats' poop gives/gave me little cause for guilt. Mostly its in our garden anyway. There is an argument that if you own a cat, you need to be willing to have some beds with nice loose sandy soil for them to use. They aren't stupid - if its convenient for the post breakfast shat, they'll use it.

Fox poo gets confused with cat poo quite often. If its in the middle of the 6 yard box, its quite likely not to be a cat. If its by the corner flag, I grant you, could be cat.

Hedgehog poo is pretty pungent if there's enough of it. We have a hedgehog infestation here. I'm desperate for rain to wash the path by my patio door.
  • tgotb
    There is an argument that if your neighbour owns a cat, you need to be willing to have some beds with nice loose sandy soil for them to use. They aren't stupid - if its convenient for the post breakfast shat, they'll use it.
    FTFY
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    It's cat crap