Tesco and Asda remove fancy dress costumes

123457»

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    According to the headline on the front page of today's super soar away Sun, over the last 10 years mental patients have killed 1200 people.

If that's right, and its a big if, admittedly, that's an average of one every three days.

That seems like a lot to me.

I haven't killed anyone for 2 days, you had better stay indoors.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    Come on Greg, aren't you better than that?

1200 compared to what? How are the "mentally ill" classified? Is it the "one in four people" who, according to some other unqualified journalist-filtered statiods, suffer from "depression"?

I know you were just throwing that out there but, well, dont.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    According to the headline on the front page of today's super soar away Sun, over the last 10 years mental patients have killed 1200 people.

If that's right, and its a big if, admittedly, that's an average of one every three days.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/real ... ealth-true

Looks behind the statistics used.

Makes the sun article look very unconvincing.
  • Come on Greg, aren't you better than that?

1200 compared to what? How are the "mentally ill" classified? Is it the "one in four people" who, according to some other unqualified journalist-filtered stations, suffer from "depression"?

How should I know? It was the headline on the front page of the Sun. I glanced at it as I was in the newsagents.

Then i bought some tinned food and several litres of water, ran back to the office and locked myself in. It's like a madhouse out there, I tell you, a madhouse.

More seriously though, one might conclude that the mentally ill and their charities have bigger things to worry about than some Halloween costumes if a story like this are on the front page of the most popular tabloid in the country, and the story is false. Have the charities reacted to the story as much as they did to the costume sales, I wonder?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Come on Greg, aren't you better than that?

1200 compared to what? How are the "mentally ill" classified? Is it the "one in four people" who, according to some other unqualified journalist-filtered statiods, suffer from "depression"?

Apparently not. :roll:
  • First.Aspect

Well knock me over with a feather duster. Who would have thought it.
  • Come on Greg, aren't you better than that?

1200 compared to what? How are the "mentally ill" classified? Is it the "one in four people" who, according to some other unqualified journalist-filtered stations, suffer from "depression"?

How should I know? It was the headline on the front page of the Sun. I glanced at it as I was in the newsagents.

Then i bought some tinned food and several litres of water, ran back to the office and locked myself in. It's like a madhouse out there, I tell you, a madhouse.

More seriously though, one might conclude that the mentally ill and their charities have bigger things to worry about than some Halloween costumes if a story like this are on the front page of the most popular tabloid in the country, and the story is false. Have the charities reacted to the story as much as they did to the costume sales, I wonder?
    There's quite a few responses here;

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 63893.html
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

Never! I mean it was the Sun.
    Such a respected journal would never get it wrong. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260

One of the interesting things that came out of the programme last night on Broadmoor was when they interviewed the son of one of the more 'liberal' governors who said that the stigma of mental health is made far worse by the sensationalisation of what goes on in places like Broadmoor by the main stream press :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hmmmm, imagine getting a kick out of lying about things just to scare people. You'd probably need some therapy for that one. Can anyone recommend a good psychiatrist for The Sun?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • arran77
    Rolf F wrote:
    Hmmmm, imagine getting a kick out of lying about things just to scare people. You'd probably need some therapy for that one. Can anyone recommend a good psychiatrist for The Sun?

Mikey23
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

No, this is why charities should focus on the Halloween costumes and the names. They're all indicative of the same thing, stigma attached to mental health through misrepresentation and lack of knowledge.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • First.Aspect
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No, this is why charities should focus on the Halloween costumes and the names. They're all indicative of the same thing, stigma attached to mental health through misrepresentation and lack of knowledge.
    Yup. Greg knows this, but doesn't think that its enough of a reinforcement of stigma to spoil everyone's fun.

In fairness, its a tough call.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Wassat? Just going into hibernation and I heard my name...
    Psychiatrist for the sun? Nah, too busy loafing, sounds like hard work...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Only just seen this. You've all missed it, but one of the findings here is pretty scary:
    In 2010-2011, 95% of murders were committed by individuals who had not been diagnosed with a mental health problem.

95%!

I'm surrounded by people who, as far as I know, have no mental health problems, and it turns out they're 20 times as dangerous as the people who are locked up in Broadmoor :shock:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    When you fix the little stuff, the big stuff follows on automatically with little effort. "Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves" and all that.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • arran77

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    I am offended. Really offended.

I think I shall sharpen my quill and prepare a stern letter.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Only just seen this. You've all missed it, but one of the findings here is pretty scary:
    In 2010-2011, 95% of murders were committed by individuals who had not been diagnosed with a mental health problem.

95%!

I'm surrounded by people who, as far as I know, have no mental health problems, and it turns out they're 20 times as dangerous as the people who are locked up in Broadmoor :shock:

You know, if I was a psychiatrist, I'm pretty sure I'd have "murdering people" on my list of symptoms that may cause me to think something was not quite right. In fact, I think I could pretty much diagnose somebody as "a little bit kookie" based upon this single sign. Perhaps not an early-warning, I'll give you, but perhaps the mental health professionals could take this on-board.
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:

Why, because he fiddled with everyone (including Amanda Holden) apart from you :wink:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Why, because he fiddled with everyone (including Amanda Holden) apart from you :wink:
    Amanda is a tramp.

Still would though.
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Amanda is a tramp.

Still would though.

What, even after Jimmy's been there :shock:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    Never, ever, ever consider who your partners exes may have been.
    That road leads to madness.