Tesco and Asda remove fancy dress costumes

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Rolf F wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I think basically nobody. Except possibly white, middle class males who are in no way classifiable as a minority in respect of any part of their physical and mental status nor in terms of any interests they may have.
    That'll be me then. :(
    Although some may argue otherwise.

Excellent. Just to let you know, I'm laughing at your expense right now.
    Stop it.
    I cant allow that as I am a Scot and no one is getting anything at my expense.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • simonhead wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Can someone please supply a list of people that we can make fun off for the sake off clarity?

4x4 drivers that are confused by the off road nature of their vehicle, anyone driving a goods vehicle, the French and men with girls names and vice are all fair game.

Oh dear. I drive a 4x4 pick up and I'm not even a hill billy, I drive an HGV as my job, my name is interchangeable between the sexes and I have been diagnosed with Aspergers.. But I'm not French! Woohoo!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    samtope wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Can someone please supply a list of people that we can make fun off for the sake off clarity?

4x4 drivers that are confused by the off road nature of their vehicle, anyone driving a goods vehicle, the French and men with girls names and vice are all fair game.

Oh dear. I drive a 4x4 pick up and I'm not even a hill billy, I drive an HGV as my job, my name is interchangeable between the sexes and I have been diagnosed with Aspergers.. But I'm not French! Woohoo!
    Sport about that. Are you a vegetarian too?
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • daviesee
    samtope wrote:
    Nice to see that I am not the only open target.
    Maybe we should form a victim's group, become a minority and therefore end the victimisation.
  • No, you lay into those cabbage munchers until your hearts content :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    daviesee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I think basically nobody. Except possibly white, middle class males who are in no way classifiable as a minority in respect of any part of their physical and mental status nor in terms of any interests they may have.
    That'll be me then. :(
    Although some may argue otherwise.

Excellent. Just to let you know, I'm laughing at your expense right now.
    Stop it.
    I cant allow that as I am a Scot and no one is getting anything at my expense.

Well why didn't you say so? As a Scot you are obviously a minority and therefore it is wrong to make fun of you. I am so ashamed of myself for laughing at you. :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,413
    I am really insulted on behalf of daviesee. That's it, the minority that is me is the victim of being insulted on someone else's behalf. I am being vicitimised on an open forum. My feelings about the way daviesee has been insulted is not being taken into any consideration and its a testament to the true nature of the British people in that they don't understand...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • daviesee
    Where do I claim my compo?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Its not cool to say 'play like a girl' anymore apparently as it may offend female footballers.
  • samtope wrote:
    No, you lay into those cabbage munchers until your hearts content :)

I'm offended by that. I hate cabbage.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,662
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Southpark is satire, its the opposite of what this thread is about.
  • Stevo_666
    notsoblue wrote:
    Southpark is satire
    I know :roll:
    notsoblue wrote:
    its the opposite of what this thread is about.
    Depends what you want it to be about, there's more than one angle on this thread. Some people need to lighten up.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • notsoblue
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Some people need to lighten up.

Meh, it just irked me that you'd compare those who criticise the stigmatisation of the mentally ill with those who complain about Southpark.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Meh, it just irked me that you'd compare those who criticise the stigmatisation of the mentally ill with those who complain about Southpark.

This might give a bit of context.
  • Stevo_666
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not a direct comparison as such, more an attempt to get people to lighten up a bit - as Rick has pointed out with his little stirring spoon in hand :wink:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    as Rick has pointed out with his little stirring spoon in hand :wink:

Why do you naturally assume that Rick's stirring spoon is little, surely that's offensive to all people with little dix, not that anyone can now say they are offended :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • notsoblue
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not a direct comparison as such, more an attempt to get people to lighten up a bit - as Rick has pointed out with his little stirring spoon in hand :wink:
    Ah right. Well done. I'll be studying your post history for tips on how to lighten up and be more fun at parties. ;)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,413
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

(We) only put our oar in when 1 or 2 people start slinging sh1t around and getting personal.

In all fairness, when someone pointed out that someone was offended on behalf of someone else, well that's just an invite to get the popcorn party going. You can't say we added any fuel to the fire, but you can say we piddled on it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

(We) only put our oar in when 1 or 2 people start slinging sh1t around and getting personal.

In all fairness, when someone pointed out that someone was offended on behalf of someone else, well that's just an invite to get the popcorn party going. You can't say we added any fuel to the fire, but you can say we piddled on it.

I didn't say anything.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I think the point of that thread has been slightly lost in translation!

It's never linking to anywhere other than threads where there's already a mud slinging contest going on, therefore there are already two opposing views being put forward so it's not a case of stiring it up its just joining the debate on one side or the other :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Stevo_666
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Ah right. Well done. I'll be studying your post history for tips on how to lighten up and be more fun at parties. ;)
    Be my guest, but you may be disappointed. And it wasn't you that I thought should lighten up (much) :wink:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I for two am going to lighten up.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Which unfortunately means that more often than not the fire goes out ...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    cje wrote:
    The dangerous psychopath locked up in a mental hospital is a horror movie staple. That's where the idea for these Halloween costumes originated.

Taking personal offence because you've suffered depression is as logical as a baseball player getting upset about a Jason Voorhees outfit.

Ice-Hockey, Shirley?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited September 2013
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What kind of moderator are you that you allow a thread to exist where is only purpose its to direct people to other threads where they can troll the board?

Shockingly useless. This forum is getting more and more pathetic by the day.

As for the actual topic, I think it is a stunted argument when you start accusing people of being outraged/offended on behalf of another person. Are we no longer able to call something out as offensive to a particular group of people even if the offense doesn't apply to us?

Do some of you even know what a mental illness is? Lose your job, find your wife/gf cheating, death of a loved one, have a life altering accident on the bicycle? Getting closer to home yet? How about for every four posts made by different users in this thread the 4th is a person with a mental illness, because that's the statistic.

In fact, for all those cyclists that have had accidents they are likely to be, in some way, affected mentally. They may have received services to help them through the anxiety, depression, addiction, developed phobia of the experience that they've been through. Perhaps they lost their job because the affect on their mind was affecting their work and their boss displayed the same level of understanding and compassion that you guys have. Friends start distancing themselves and the mental health condition detriorates because of how the World has responded.

Or better yet, have you ever cared for a grandparent or parent? Loved them and been in awe of them for all your life only to see them diminish as dementia settles in? Would you have a bad word said about them?

They are people with mental health conditions, maybe even patients, now tell me the psyco ward and mental health costume depicts them. Maybe I (touch wood) cannot be personally offended, I have never received a mental health service, but I can sure understand why someone would find it offensive.

Learn something
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What kind of moderator are you that you allow a thread to exist where is only purpose is to direct people to other threads where they can troll the board?

Shockingly useless.

Ummm, I believe you are not allowed to use the forum to discuss the moderators :roll:

Mods ^^
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    In fact, for all those cyclists that have had accidents they are likely to be, in some way, affected mentally. They may have received services to help them through the anxiety, depression, addiction, developed phobia of the experience that they've been through. Perhaps they lost their job because the affect on their mind was affecting their work and their boss displayed the same level of understanding and compassion that you guys have. Friends start distancing themselves and the mental health condition detriorates because of how the World has responded.
    Thats a bit random and certainly not fact.
    I've had a few accidents. Are you maintaining that I have been affected mentally?
    It could explain my presence here though.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited September 2013
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thats a bit random and certainly not fact.
    I've had a few accidents. Are you maintaining that I have been affected mentally?
    It could explain my presence here though.

i. In the context of the sentence, it is a 'figure of speech'. If it were truly a 'fact' then I would have typed 'It is a fact that'.

ii. Even then it could be argued to be a fact because it is likely that if you have a physical accident you will be affected, in some way, mentally.

iii. No one can ever determine what physical accidents will impact upon a person mentally or how they will be affected or the severity of the mental illness, if any. There is, however, a link between physical trauma and subsequent mental illness: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for example.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    As for the actual topic, I think it is a stunted argument when you start accusing people of being outraged/offended on behalf of another person. Are we no longer able to call something out as offensive to a particular group of people even if the offense doesn't apply to us?

To add to this, to assume that the person being outraged/offended is doing so on behalf of another person is wrong in itself, it's entirely likely some of the people raising the objection have first hand expierience of mental health issues.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5