World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And he isn't 42
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Just thought it was interesting that pretty much every significant win is greeted with pages of diatribe, minute examination of power data, endless speculation about whether he did or whether he didn't and all this one gets is good old tony. I'm kind of disappointed, but in a nice way...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Just noticed 13 Nicolas Roche (Ireland) 0:03:13

Bodes well for future GC ambitions, doesn't it?
    A few weeks ago, who'd thought this was ever going to matter...
  • Great TT although being a Wiggo "fan boi" I was a little disapointed there were no more Conti tyre disasters.

Roche the stand out ride for me, I didn't realise he could test
  • I wonder if Wiggins will now drop out of the road race?
    Coming second today is bound to raise issues of motivation.

Martin's German engine produces those few extra horsepower, with no loss of efficiency. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Martin's German engine produces those few extra horsepower, with no loss of efficiency. :P

He got silver behind a rider who was simply out of this world today. He didnt come 43rd or something. After the season he's had, and having to change his goals - and shape - halfway through the year, and having already acknowledged that he did everything he could but was beaten by the better man....Just as when he got silver 2 years ago, he'll be on the start line on Sunday to work for GB.

Actually in post-race interviews he came across as more disappointed with his silver in 2011, than he did today
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    He's bound to be a bit disappointed, but he was fair and squarely beaten by a good margin, so it's not as if he'll be kicking himself that me missed out by 5 seconds or something, there wasn't much more he could have done today... that's the way it looks on the face of it, only he knows how many vodka and tonics and benny hedgehogs he had last night that he might wish he hadn't though, or differences in prep he might wish he'd done.

Fingers crossed Sunday will be a great RR now, regardless of who wins.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I was glad he was so disappointed, true champions are never happy with second place. Beaten fair and square by the best TTr of his generation, possibly of all time???? When is Tony going for the Hour record?

Oh, and Frenchie, I try really hard to ignore your posts but FFS man, grow up. :roll:
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    I wonder if Wiggins will now drop out of the road race?

He got silver behind a rider who was simply out of this world today. He didnt come 43rd or something. After the season he's had, and having to change his goals - and shape - halfway through the year, and having already acknowledged that he did everything he could but was beaten by the better man....Just as when he got silver 2 years ago, he'll be on the start line on Sunday to work for GB.

Actually in post-race interviews he came across as more disappointed with his silver in 2011, than he did today

Yea. This fits with that other thread about how to explain the 40 seconds when they are the top 0.000% of the sport etc, so the margins between them should be much smaller.

Tony Martin won this race over the last 6-8 months IMO. Wiggins knows this, and knew to an extent it was out of his hands which medal he would get on the day, he just knew what output/speed/power he could produce given the season he had. Wiggins is one of the best at measuring output over a distance, he'll know he did all he could today, and he'll be content enough with that.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I wonder if Wiggins will now drop out of the road race?
    Today's ride will surely give Wiggins a huge boost - he will know that he rode well and felt good. It does not matter in some ways that he was beaten. His overhauling of Cancellara in the last 10k was a superb effort.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

His temperament is rather fragile and he has past form for being depressed at such things. Of course he will ride though I doubt he will care much for helping Froome (which is the sole objective). I actually would find it wonderful if he deliberately hampers the Kenyan or actually goes for the win himself - that would put him up a few notches.

But yes the heavyweight and humble Tony Masterman Martin took a win of class today. He looks so at one with his TT bike it is amazing - like a single unit.

Some of the photos from this event are beautiful.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The Panzerwagen rode so hard that he made a hole on the inside of his bibshorts.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I reckon Stannard should have top tenned. I wonder whether they could have changed the entries at short notice.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • What a ******* shoot show. Really wanted Fabu to get silver.

Was moaning he didn't get any time checks from the car.

Pah! He shouldn't want information........that's for the factory boys. No?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mike6
    What a ******* shoot show. Really wanted Fabu to get silver.

Exactly. If you are in the red you cant go any deeper anyway. Fab you are not going quickly enough. Er...ok.
  • “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Phinney didn't have a drink in the TTT which would have affected him. You wonder if stopping for the bottle would have been better but it is a difficult call.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/julich- ... -worlds-tt
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    mike6 wrote:

Exactly. If you are in the red you cant go any deeper anyway. Fab you are not going quickly enough. Er...ok.

Do people really think knowing someone is close doesn't make an impact on the final time??
  • mike6
    mike6 wrote:

Do people really think knowing someone is close doesn't make an impact on the final time??

Not if you are already flat out and breathing through your a***e it dont. All three on the podium looked totally spent.
  • mike6 wrote:

I would have thought that knowing a gap is close and shrinking benefits the pursuer more than the pursued.

That said Dan Martin reckoned that if he and Quintana had known they had a decent gap on stage ? of the TOB, they would have made more of an effort to stay away.......
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    :roll:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=yo ... pp=desktop

Watch ulrich once he's passed.
  • :roll:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=yo ... pp=desktop

Watch ulrich once he's passed.

Yes. When he becomes the pursuer :lol:

(really feel as though I've missed a lot not watching in that era....in spite of everything)
  • rick_chasey
    Lost cause you lot!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    mike6 wrote:
    I would have thought that knowing a gap is close and shrinking benefits the pursuer more than the pursued.
    Yeh! Or rather the pursued loses as much as the the pursuer gains, in motivation.

Had Cancellara known the gap between him and Wiggins closed so rapidly as it did just after the last intermediate, unless Cancellara then showed he had a will of steel (I think in his case not impossible - but also not always certain) Wiggins might have beaten him by a bigger margin than 2 secs.

I wonder if Cancellara unnecessarily rode too much of the TT in too low a gear, too high a cadence. I don’t remember noticing in the past such a high cadence from him. I know it helped at the beginning when he was fresh, but the whole hour like that? Maybe in the middle he should have changed up and powered more Martin-style, of which I’m sure he’s also capable.
  • rick_chasey
    knedlicky wrote:

I wonder if Cancellara unnecessarily rode too much of the TT in too low a gear, too high a cadence. I don’t remember noticing in the past such a high cadence from him. I know it helped at the beginning when he was fresh, but the whole hour like that? Maybe in the middle he should have changed up and powered more Martin-style, of which I’m sure he’s also capable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha26GN_ ... ata_player courtesy of former BR regular bhima.

I remember people saying the opposite when Canc won - that he moved to a higher cadence really helped.
  • knedlicky
    Phinney didn't have a drink in the TTT which would have affected him. You wonder if stopping for the bottle would have been better but it is a difficult call.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/julich- ... -worlds-tt
    I didn’t notice any rider drinking on the TV coverage - in Martin's case maybe I wouldn't have had, because Boardman said he had the camelback system - although I noticed Martin also had a bottle on his frame. But then empty?

I wonder how necessary drinking is for just an hour. I know they’re at high speeds at full effort, but it wasn’t particularly warm, it was flat, and if they’re fully hydrated to begin with?
    Maybe sometimes having a drink (or drinking possibility) is more for the placebo/mental effect?
    At the level I've competed (cat 3), unless a difficult terrain or hot weather required it, I've often gone an hour or so without touching the bottle, without noticeable deterioration.

Maybe if Chavanel were to justify his performance on poor hydration. I’d be otherwise convinced (first time check, 3rd, second time check 8th, third time check 13th, finish 22nd).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha26GN_ ... ata_player courtesy of former BR regular bhima.
    I remember people saying the opposite when Canc won - that he moved to a higher cadence really helped.
    Thanks Rick, seems I’m wrong – maybe just the contrast in styles I noticed today between him and Martin and, to a lesser extent, Wiggins.

The youtube video also shows Cancellara drinking, which somewhat counters my other recent post as well.
    Or maybe it was warmer there than in Florence? The route was slightly bumpier, which helps.
  • rick_chasey
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

Thanks Rick, seems I’m wrong – maybe just the contrast in styles I noticed today between him and Martin and, to a lesser extent, Wiggins.

The youtube video also shows Cancellara drinking, which somewhat counters my other recent post as well.
    Or maybe it was warmer there than in Florence? The route was slightly bumpier, which helps.

I think the drinking thing is just luck of the directors camera choice. Same way a director can make an evenly shared breakaway look like one rider is doing all the work.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    My prediction is that Wiggins will overtake Cancellara but remain a long way behind Martin

hat.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Source: William H on podiumcafe.com...

He took the top 10 riders, and then got an average (mean) time for each part of the course, then used it as a baseline to compare the performances of those top 10 riders.

First 4 columns are the 4 sections of the course, 5th is the whole course overall.

19po.jpg

Martin was super consistent at about 3% faster than our baseline. I guess that suggests he got his pacing bang on the money, as well as being just plain stronger than everyone else.
    Wiggins’ “negative split” is quite visible. Did he go out too slowly, or was he wiser than the rest? But he certainly wasn’t going to beat Martin what ever strategy he chose.
    Cancellara, as we saw, went out at Martin pace then paid for that, though he was never going badly.
    Kiryenka seems to have started out conservatively, then did a great section (2% faster than our baseline), then paid for that effort, then recovered a bit
    Phinney and Quaade both went out hard, then suffered, but Phinney put in a good 3rd section that kept him ahead
    Pinotti started and finished well. Not sure what that means
    Malori, Larsson and Siutsou all got hammered at the first split. But perhaps that’s why they managed a top 10. Well, the race this time around seems like it actually proceeded remarkably similarly to 2011
    (No overall in this one, just the 6 sections)...

f9jy.jpg

Martin again remarkably consistent though perhaps even more dominant, Wiggins doing a negative split (since there were laps in that race, we can say that’s actually true, no need for quotation marks) to take second, Cancellara’s performance dropping off at the end – more dramatically in 2011, in fact.