Vuelta Stage 16- spoiler

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    ThomThom wrote:
    Been a really good race so far. But can I just point out that we do get thrown right into it with like only 40km to go - sometimes even less.

Had it been the Tour it would have sounded; "boring stage with great last 10km. "

Is that what we want? 1½ hours of live transmission from the races?

I know what you're saying but even allowing for that there has been far more racing between the top riders here, people aren't defending a top 10 finish.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    It has been good. Even potential nothing stages have had Tony Martin's solo and Stybar's win where the bunch was closing on him and Gilbert.

I am glad I have been watching it. Not sure if I count as a regular but I certainly thought twice about posting on here after the debacle this place became during the Tour.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Ed-tron wrote:
    Pretty good English from Barguil after also in an interview. They had to beep something out haha. Infectious character
    Each team has a main communication language and at Argos-Shimano it’s English, so Barguil will have improved (and extended) his school English in the last 12 months.

Barguil’s emergence (not really a surprise actually – thus why he was a definite in my Velogames team :D ) could mean that Argos-Shimano now need to re-consider their strategy for 2014. The last couple of years, they’ve been a team for sprinters (Kittel, Degenkolb, Arndt, Mezgec) but now, with a potential tour winner in their ranks, if they want to keep and make use of Barguil, they may need to alter their team composition and re-think their goals for certain tours/races. Otherwise Barguil may choose to move on.

Yesterday’s stage winner, Geniez, purposely left Argos-Shimano last year exactly for this reason – he felt the team was too orientated to sprint victories for a tour/climber rider to do well with them, and it now seems he made the right decision for himself.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    How many regulars don't post any more because of all the sh1te?

At least one.

+1

Strava is not Zen.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Young, aggressive and rides for a likeable and trustworthy team. What's not to like about this fella'. He's going places, isn't he.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Pross wrote:
    TThis has to be the best GT for several years with great racing on every stage and yet we are only managing 4 pages for threads as opposed to 20 on a nothing stage in the Tour.

It is near the end of season and the Vuelta lacks some of the big names, or big British names at least.

There wasn't a thread for the Tour de l'Ardèche last week, but that's wimmin's racing so normal (results for anyone interested: http://www.tcfia.com/).
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited September 2013
    Good piece on Horner's Vuelta race. I'm sure it's readable. http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... -horner%2F
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ThomThom wrote:
    Good piece on Horner's Vuelta race. I'm sure it's readable. http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 2F&act=url

Yikes. And that was written a week ago - I wonder what he thinks now?
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Enjoyed that, cheers!
  • Just watching the highlights now. Astonishing how few there are at the roadside.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Just watching the highlights now. Astonishing how few there are at the roadside.

But refreshing to see mountain stages where the riders don't have to fight their way through a crowd of idiots in fancy dress. It'll be a different story at the Angliru,
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I've just read that Barguil is 1.83m tall but just 60kg. Surely that can't be right - even though it's the Argos website that says it. That puts his BMI at just 17.9, compared with, for example, Froome at 19.7
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    ThomThom wrote:
    Young, aggressive and rides for a likeable and trustworthy team. What's not to like about this fella'. He's going places, isn't he.

Possibly. We will see how he develops. When he is well known he will no longer be allowed to ride away in the break. That will be the true measure of his ability. Until then, I enjoy his long solo wins.
  • Pross wrote:
    That kid has got a race brain way beyond his years. This has to be the best GT for several years with great racing on every stage and yet we are only managing 4 pages for threads as opposed to 20 on a nothing stage in the Tour.

But isnt that standard - or is it unique to this year? Asking you BR old timers out there..

great race for sure but I present to you

Giro 2010
    Tour 2011

Both also excellent. Giro 2010 is the best I have ever seen since tour 2003
  • Watched the highlights this morning. Great stage. That young French lad has a bright future ahead of him. Strange dig from Valverde at one stage , he went then immediately sat up Phil said it was due to the headwind... Horner "the smiling assassin" cuts Nibs lead in half! who would have thought that!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Pross wrote:
    That kid has got a race brain way beyond his years. This has to be the best GT for several years with great racing on every stage and yet we are only managing 4 pages for threads as opposed to 20 on a nothing stage in the Tour.

But isnt that standard - or is it unique to this year? Asking you BR old timers out there..

I remember the same sort of thing happening a couple of years ago, I think one of the 'old timers' made a joke about people only coming out for the tour, and that it would be over soon and it would be back to normal.
  • MrTapir wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I remember the same sort of thing happening a couple of years ago, I think one of the 'old timers' made a joke about people only coming out for the tour, and that it would be over soon and it would be back to normal.

You have to remember TV access to the Vuelta is still relatively new and this race starts in August when a lot of people are away on holiday. Terrestrial TV is still only showing highlights and winging a live feed on the works computer for another 3 weeks in the year might be pushing it for some.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • BTvAg-uCIAAJJVw.jpg

Good shot. Just shows how much talent he has. Not even aero, very thin and still beats Uran in a sprint who is known as a fast finisher.

And I dont see a tache here really:

328-PIC395194134.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky wrote:
    Ed-tron wrote:
    Pretty good English from Barguil after also in an interview. They had to beep something out haha. Infectious character
    Each team has a main communication language and at Argos-Shimano it’s English, so Barguil will have improved (and extended) his school English in the last 12 months.

Barguil’s emergence (not really a surprise actually – thus why he was a definite in my Velogames team :D ) could mean that Argos-Shimano now need to re-consider their strategy for 2014. The last couple of years, they’ve been a team for sprinters (Kittel, Degenkolb, Arndt, Mezgec) but now, with a potential tour winner in their ranks, if they want to keep and make use of Barguil, they may need to alter their team composition and re-think their goals for certain tours/races. Otherwise Barguil may choose to move on.

Yesterday’s stage winner, Geniez, purposely left Argos-Shimano last year exactly for this reason – he felt the team was too orientated to sprint victories for a tour/climber rider to do well with them, and it now seems he made the right decision for himself.

Not a surprise no but a new kid on the block and not surprising that not everyone knows about him. First time I saw mention was here:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12636081&p=17841010#p17841010
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MrTapir
    I watched the highlights last night rather than finding out the winner on the cycling news feed, glad I did, what an exciting finish! Barguil really has some tactical nous about him and gives great interviews, very complimentary to Rigoberto Uranium last night.

The race for the GC is very exciting, even my girlfriend commented 'its much more exciting than the tour'. All the top riders seem to be trying to take time on the others, Nibali looks vulnerable, Konig is still there, Pinot is looking good. About 25 mega fonzies on the coolometer.
  • BTvAg-uCIAAJJVw.jpg

I like the way he rocks the one shoe undone look...
  • Rough diamond. Watch out for him. Has more class then the entire Sky team put together.

Ps. you can see him trying to fix his shoe before the sprint but there was not enough time.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • BTvAg-uCIAAJJVw.jpg

comms were saying they thought he might have cramp issues since it looked like he loosened it off himself up the final climb.
  • MrTapir
    BTvAg-uCIAAJJVw.jpg

That must be what he did with about a km to go: i saw him stop pedalling and reach down to fiddle with his shoe. maybe it was too tight and he loosened it too much.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,554
    Pross wrote:
    TThis has to be the best GT for several years with great racing on every stage and yet we are only managing 4 pages for threads as opposed to 20 on a nothing stage in the Tour.

Vuelta last year was pretty good too.

I've been on holiday for a month, so haven't contributed to the threads; however, I'm fairly sure that the 16 page difference isn't only me, so your point stands.

Separately, there have been a lot of surprises in one month of cycling and it is amazing how many places around the world have received permanent IP bans from the BR forums.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Vuelta last year was pretty good too.

I've been on holiday for a month, so haven't contributed to the threads; however, I'm fairly sure that the 16 page difference isn't only me, so your point stands.

Separately, there have been a lot of surprises in one month of cycling and it is amazing how many places around the world have received permanent IP bans from the BR forums.

I thought it got too predictable and repetitive last year. Not sure what that final paragraph means!
  • Read more about Barguil here. Need more riders like him rather than the factory boys being produced in some places of the cycling spectrum.

http://inrng.com/2013/09/warren-barguil/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I'm just cycling'd out, too many other things on to watch instead (plus work to be done during the week). Spent all Sunday at the housemate's Hockey Club watching the games..there were some really good ones!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Note that this boy is straight out of old school training and racing background not some cotton wool and money background provided by British Cycling.

tumblr_msq1ivm1N61qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest