Santa Cruz Bronson build.

Comments

• Well I was not going to but I have. I have bought a Race Face Next SL chainset for the Bronson. God knows why, its perfect pretty much as it is. Still its a bit lighter I guess and looks really nice. Might keep the XX1 chainset, ceramic BB, Fox 34's and ZTR Flow's ready for the natural arrival of a 5010 C frame :lol: ......
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Well I was not going to but I have. I have bought a Race Face Next SL chainset for the Bronson. God knows why, its perfect pretty much as it is. Still its a bit lighter I guess and looks really nice. Might keep the XX1 chainset, ceramic BB, Fox 34's and ZTR Flow's ready for the natural arrival of a 5010 C frame :lol: ......

The next chainsets are gorgeous! LBS had a pair in t'other week, the weight, or rather lack of, had to be felt to be believed!! I just won an XTR groupset but still tempted by the next cranks with a 34t DM ring!
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Well I was not going to but I have. I have bought a Race Face Next SL chainset for the Bronson. God knows why, its perfect pretty much as it is. Still its a bit lighter I guess and looks really nice. Might keep the XX1 chainset, ceramic BB, Fox 34's and ZTR Flow's ready for the natural arrival of a 5010 C frame :lol: ......

Will you adopt me :D ?
  • Oh hello:
    P1030659.jpg
    P1030660.jpg
    Bang on the manufacturers weight spec:
    P1030663.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Even his scales are posh :lol:
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Balls to the crank, you got some free stickers!
  • Did a afternoon on the uplift at the Forest of Dean yesterday and had a great day out. Been chatting with the lads at TFTuned and I am having the Fox 34 pushed. I had the Pike and it would be on now if it was not for the dirty great scratch that was on it when I received it. Bike-Discount refunded me as they had no more in and then promptly got stock the following day! I am going to combine the pushed 34 with a Float X that's been pushed as well. Buying it in America and then sending it for a tune. Cannot wait to see how things feel.
  • whitey161
    whitey161 Posts: 110
    Nice. I was up at the FoD Saturday, think i caught the better end of the weather!
    Not going to get the pike now then and stick with the Fox?
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • whitey161 wrote:
    Nice. I was up at the FoD Saturday, think i caught the better end of the weather!
    Not going to get the pike now then and stick with the Fox?

Nope I am going to stick with the Fox 34 now, if the Pike I got had arrived un damaged it would be rocking one now. Had a good look and a go on a fork fitted with the Push factory fork system elite that gives the fork externally adjustable high and low speed compression adjustment.

Picked up a Fox Float X rear shock very cheap so that's on its way to me right now. Just need to book it in for a tune when it arrives.
  • Fox FIT damper is off tomorrow for a Push factory fork system elite modification.
    FITdamper.jpg
    Float X is still in customs, even if I get a bigish bill it will still be far far cheaper than buying one in the UK!
  • PUSH factory elite tuned damper has now arrived back and been fitted along with a Float X rear shock. Not had chance to ride it just yet to try them out but the driveway test. Both feel very good I have a air volume spacer kit on order for the Float X so hopefully that will arrive before the first ride on it:
    IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    Race Face Next SL cranks have been fitted. I very impressed with them, the weight and stiffness is amazing:
    IMG_3356.jpg
    How it looks now:
    IMG_3355.jpg
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I'm getting even more jealous, this bike just gets better and better
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Antm81 wrote:

This ^

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    declan1 wrote:
    Antm81 wrote:

This ^

:shock: :lol:
  • lawman
    Had my first proper ride on a Bronson today, quite impressive but not with out faults. Seems like the shock needs a bit of tuning to get right, seems like quite a small window of performance, but then the one I've got on demo this weekend has the basic CTD evo shock, so not the best. Gonna mess around a bit more and see if I can improve it, feels like it lacks a hint of support in the mid-stroke so perhaps a volume spacer would help, it certainly seemed to ride deeper in the stroke than the Pike up front, which is a pretty darn good fork. Messed around with it a little to sync better with the rear end, the bike felt pretty unbalanced suspension wise, so it really highlights the need to spend some time getting everything set up properly. Still, I've ridden bikes that have performed better right of the bat but hopefully the tweaks I've made to the suspension tonight will help on the ride tomorrow. Feels like there's a seriously good bike behind it though, the SPX kit my demo bike has is on the weighty side at 30lbs, but does have heavy wheels & tyres, tubes and 2x10 with a beefy E-thirteen guide so could easily knock 2-3lbs without too much hassle.

Looking forward to trying it out again tomorrow and hopefully in March I'll be able to a back to back triple header with the 5010 and my Mojo HD :) Bikes looking awesome Rick btw, any idea what she weighs in at?
  • The biggest problem is that all each manufacturer can do is spec a rear shock tune for a bike that has to cover a broad spectrum of riders. In the real world most will need something slightly different from each different shock but other than having it custom tuned after you have the bike its just not possible. I felt my CTD sat a bit lower in the travel than I'd like but with a little more pressure in the shock it ruined small bump sensitivity.

After toying with what to do on the shock, (even considering at one point fitting a Kashima RP-23 I have sat here!) I had a discussion with one of the big UK tuners. I was looking mostly at a CCDBA CS but when it was put to the workshop floor they were split, some said go for it, others said get a Float X. By all account (the DBA CS) its a very nice shock with a massive amount of user tunability but its not without its faults. Then I spotted a Float X on eBay, it was brand new and removed from a Giant Trance SX. £322 later including delivery and customs duty and a saving of £193 over the UK price, I was a happy man 8) . I cannot wait to get out on it and give it its first ride. Once thats done I will be sending it for a tune as I believe it will improve any bike/shock combination no end.

I will chuck it on my weighing scale in a bit and let you know what it comes in at. Bet you cannot get enough of your new BFe.
  • be interested to know how you find the float x... tis pretty much the only air shock I can put on the Canyon, but am happy with the performance of the RC3 coil, its just a bit lardy!
  • lawman
    The biggest problem is that all each manufacturer can do is spec a rear shock tune for a bike that has to cover a broad spectrum of riders. In the real world most will need something slightly different from each different shock but other than having it custom tuned after you have the bike its just not possible. I felt my CTD sat a bit lower in the travel than I'd like but with a little more pressure in the shock it ruined small bump sensitivity.

After toying with what to do on the shock, (even considering at one point fitting a Kashima RP-23 I have sat here!) I had a discussion with one of the big UK tuners. I was looking mostly at a CCDBA CS but when it was put to the workshop floor they were split, some said go for it, others said get a Float X. By all account (the DBA CS) its a very nice shock with a massive amount of user tunability but its not without its faults. Then I spotted a Float X on eBay, it was brand new and removed from a Giant Trance SX. £322 later including delivery and customs duty and a saving of £193 over the UK price, I was a happy man 8) . I cannot wait to get out on it and give it its first ride. Once thats done I will be sending it for a tune as I believe it will improve any bike/shock combination no end.

I will chuck it on my weighing scale in a bit and let you know what it comes in at. Bet you cannot get enough of your new BFe.

Agreed, my HD was a lot better after I had the shock tuned for my weight and riding style. I'm starting to think maybe the Solo would be better for me, I'm gonna try and ride it, the Bronson and Mojo HD back to back to see where each one excels, but my over-riding feeling of the whole ride yesterday was the VPP was effiecient when pedalling seated, but get out of the saddle and power it bobbed a bit and the pedal feedback through the chain growth was weird. I've never felt that on the HD, so from a purely first impression pov, I think I prefer the DW-link but maybe with more time on VPP I could used to it and maybe the double chainset didn't interact nicely with the linkages, if it's designed around a 32t chainring as it's most efficient pedalling gear, then it could be better with a single chainring, as I would set mine up as. Conditions yesterday were awful so definitely not the best time to be trying a new bike, but it's definitely got potential
  • lawman
    Loving the BFe Rick, such a nice ride :) I can see me keeping it for a long time that's for sure!

My inner bike-geek has really been at work this morning, trying to get to the bottom of why I wasn't blown away by the Bronson. Along with the inbalanced suspension feel, it felt pretty ponderous and not all that lively. So I got the scales out and the complete bike weighs 13.55Kg with XT trail pedals, which is a good 1.5Kg more than my Mojo HD. I was kinda diasppointed with that for a bike that retails at close to £6k but then it's quite a different spec to what I'd choose. Weighed the WTB i23/pro2 wheels with 2.3 High Roller 2 TR evo's and XT rotors and cassette were 2.27Kg for the front and 2.985 for the rear, a good 500g heavier than the wheels on the BFe which in turn are a around 2-300g heavier than those on the HD so I think that would go someway to explaining it's kinda dead feel. I reckon it's in need of some Enves!! :lol:

Will be interested to see how you get on with the Push kit and the Float X!
  • I had seen on MTBR a few people were saying how lardy the WTB/Maxxis combination was so thats a big area to loose weight in. I'd hazard a guess mine weighs about 12.5kg but I am just going to the garage now so I will let you know in a bit.

I will let people know how I get on with both the fork and rear shock when I get chance to try them out.
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    I Love this bike too much. please give it me!! :(
  • It weighs in at 12.530KG ready to ride.
  • lawman
    Wow thought it would be well under 12.5Kgs! Suppose the float X adds a little over the standard CTD but with Enves, XX1 and Next Sls I thought it would be lighter! Is that including the fender bender? Presume it's tubeless as well?
  • lawman wrote:
    Wow thought it would be well under 12.5Kgs! Suppose the float X adds a little over the standard CTD but with Enves, XX1 and Next Sls I thought it would be lighter! Is that including the fender bender? Presume it's tubeless as well?

Thats the full lot ready to ride, light mounts, bender fender, crank caps, XTR trail pedals, as you see her in the pics. The most weight comes from the larger wheel size and additional rim and tyre. Not much to shave off it IMHO, maybe some in the tyre department but then that would probably mean punctures and its not a compromise I want to make.

Overall its the nicest riding bike I have ridden in a bloody long time, it rails bends and climbs like a mountain goat. Its just rad.
  • Going to try some 800's on it to see how it feels. Think its going to be spot on, every time I've gone wider on the bars it just keeps feeling better and better.
  • PUSH factory elite tuned damper has now arrived back and been fitted along with a Float X rear shock. Not had chance to ride it just yet to try them out but the driveway test. Both feel very good I have a air volume spacer kit on order for the Float X so hopefully that will arrive before the first ride on it:
    IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    Race Face Next SL cranks have been fitted. I very impressed with them, the weight and stiffness is amazing:
    IMG_3356.jpg
    How it looks now:
    IMG_3355.jpg

How are you finding the Fox 34 Elite Push Upgrade? Mine are going to TF on Monday for the same treatment as the linear feel of the forks was making riding "interesting" at times.

Nice bike BTW.... :)
  • kokezaru wrote:
    How are you finding the Fox 34 Elite Push Upgrade? Mine are going to TF on Monday for the same treatment as the linear feel of the forks was making riding "interesting" at times.

I see we both have exceptional taste in bike 8)

Not had chance to ride them just yet as I am in Singapore with work. Home on Friday so I will hopefully get a good few miles in on them then.

My air can volume spacer set arrived the day I left so I am looking forward to trying it out properly.
  • kokezaru wrote:

I see we both have exceptional taste in bike 8)

Not had chance to ride them just yet as I am in Singapore with work. Home on Friday so I will hopefully get a good few miles in on them then.

My air can volume spacer set arrived the day I left so I am looking forward to trying it out properly.

Yep, it sure looks that way. Would be interesting to see what difference the enve's make over the enduros. I've swapped to Hans dampfs as the mavic tires aren't designed for mud.

Definitely going to upgrade the rear to the float x, mine is currently running with 2013 fox ctd's front and rear. Not a vintage year by any means. Would be interested in your thoughts as you've pretty much gone down the route I'm going suspension wise.
  • Its rocking some serious girth now:
    ENVE.jpeg
    ENVE-1.jpeg
    ENVE-2.jpeg
    Rear shock is off to TF on Monday for a PUSH custom tune.
  • How wide are they? I dont get silly wide bars!