Santa Cruz Bronson build.

Comments

• What are you doing with the XTR stuff Rick? Id be interested if you were selling.

Thanks
  • Had my first ride on the XX1.

Its nice and shifts well, the rear mech action is a lot lighter than with a shimano clutch mech with the clutch engaged but I did hear what sounded like some chain slap down step descents but it might have been the chain moving around a lot. Its a trade off though, stiffer clutch action, heavier shifting and no chain slap or lighter clutch, lighter shifting and some chain slap. The chain never dropped Overall I think it is ok, XT/XTR shifters are far nicer but that is personal preference. It is nice having the 10 tooth sprocket for fire road descents.
  • Looks awesome rick!

Do you now the weight at all?

Thanks
  • sbd16v
    sbd16v Posts: 93
    ive noticed a little chain slap, I think I could do with removing a link thou but I do like the system overall
  • Fitted a 32 tooth chain ring today in the hope it will let me spin slightly easier up some of the bastard climbs we have around me. Got to try something as I am just chugging up them at the moment lol.
  • Might have a fish to slap on this in a few days :?: :wink:
  • Might have a fish to slap on this in a few days :?: :wink:

A 4lb Pike by any chance?
  • I'm interested to hear about the general lee adaptor you put on the rear cassette. IM looking to run 1x10 and wanted your take on the system.
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    whitey161 wrote:
    I'm interested to hear about the general lee adaptor you put on the rear cassette. IM looking to run 1x10 and wanted your take on the system.

Wouldn't bother with the General Lee, expensive and it doesn't shift brilliantly. I'd go for one of the 40/42t cogs from OneUP, Wolf Tooth components or Absolute black
  • Thanks. Yeah i've just ben looking at the one up cassette adaptor, shame it wouldn't arrive until february but I guess my legs would have to carry me until then\!!

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Festerfeet wrote:
    Might have a fish to slap on this in a few days :?: :wink:

A 4lb Pike by any chance?

I'd say so - a dorado would be overkill :wink:
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    lawman wrote:
    whitey161 wrote:
    I'm interested to hear about the general lee adaptor you put on the rear cassette. IM looking to run 1x10 and wanted your take on the system.

Wouldn't bother with the General Lee, expensive and it doesn't shift brilliantly. I'd go for one of the 40/42t cogs from OneUP, Wolf Tooth components or Absolute black

Funnily enough I am getting on ok with mine, slight delay switching to it but not noticeable really. Was hard work to set up in first instance. I think I will give one of the single ring options ago in the new year as well and make my decision from there.
  • lawman wrote:
    whitey161 wrote:

I believe Works are bringing one out in the new year as well, sure I read £45-50. No doubt it'll be brill and a British company to boot!
  • lawman
    fat_homer wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    whitey161 wrote:

I believe Works are bringing one out in the new year as well, sure I read £45-50. No doubt it'll be brill and a British company to boot!

Aye, have been e-mailing them about it, spoke to them a few weeks before the OneUP was announced, prototypes should be ready soon, I might have one to test out :)
  • lawman wrote:
    fat_homer wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    whitey161 wrote:

Aye, have been e-mailing them about it, spoke to them a few weeks before the OneUP was announced, prototypes should be ready soon, I might have one to test out :)

Lucky you! They seem like a pretty good solution to be honest providing you can get the shifting right.

Sorry for the slight hijack Rick :D

However, lovely bike, Santa Cruz really does make great riding and looking bikes IMO.
  • lawman
    fat_homer wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    fat_homer wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    whitey161 wrote:

Lucky you! They seem like a pretty good solution to be honest providing you can get the shifting right.

Sorry for the slight hijack Rick :D

However, lovely bike, Santa Cruz really does make great riding and looking bikes IMO.

I think the single cog options are the best, the rest of the cassette is normal so it's only one shift that should be affected and it shouldn't make a huge difference in terms of shift quality.

Will be demoing a Bronson carbon for a weekend in a few weeks, can't wait!! Hopefully it's as good as I hope it is!
  • Looking forward to getting home and putting the bits on I have waiting. If I had seen the Race Face Next SL chain set before I got the XX1 chain set id have bought that, it looks superb and is very light. Still that is maybe something to fit in the coming year.

Got to say I honestly love my 2 current mountain bikes so much. The Cotic and the Santa Cruz are both brilliant bikes, I genuinely don't think I could want anything more.

With regards the General Lees, I never had any problems with them. I think 42 tooth is right on the very upper limit of what a Shimano or Sram standard mech can handle. Yes shifting onto and off it was slightly slower than the rest of the cassette but then it is pushing new limits and without companies like leonardi racing we would have still been waiting for the option of a wide range 10 speed cassette. I do think the new sprockets by One up, Works components and wolf tooth are the way forward though and shifting should be very good as the cassette is almost all still exclusively from Shimano or Sram.
  • Oh Hai boi:
    IMG_3229.jpg
  • Ooooh very nice. Gotta be the best trail fork going at the moment.

I think im gonna wait a little bit to see who brings out chainring/cassette adaptors as its a new thing and hence more companies will begin to manufacture them I think.

what you running on the front? 32t?

• whitey161 wrote:
    what you running on the front? 32t?

34, I tried a 32 but TBH the difference did not feel that big so I put the 34 back on as I preferred the top end down big open tracks.

Got this as well, a 55mm stem:
    IMG_3230.jpg
  • Well the Pikes would be fitted now but they are going back to Bike-Discount as when I removed the wrapper they had a scratch on the lowers. Should have the replacements in January some time. If I did not have the Fox forks I'd just have fitted them but as I don't need them I might as well get some perfect ones.
  • Just read all 7 pages from start to finish and gotta say, what a build!!!! You've got a stunner there bud, bet it's an absolute joy to ride. I now want coloured decals on my rims and one of those sexy looking stems you just got :lol:
  • Just read all 7 pages from start to finish and gotta say, what a build!!!! You've got a stunner there bud, bet it's an absolute joy to ride.

Thank's for the nice words.

Been out on it today for a quick ride. Love the shorter stem, feels better. I'd quite like to try some wider bars but after cannock the other week the 750's were pushing it bit through some of the tree parts. Might get some 800's just for a dabble though...

Anyhow here is a quick video from the ride:
    https://vimeo.com/82783422
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Just read all 7 pages from start to finish and gotta say, what a build!!!! You've got a stunner there bud, bet it's an absolute joy to ride.

Been out on it today for a quick ride. Love the shorter stem, feels better. I'd quite like to try some wider bars but after cannock the other week the 750's were pushing it bit through some of the tree parts. Might get some 800's just for a dabble though...

That's just perfection.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Just read all 7 pages from start to finish and gotta say, what a build!!!! You've got a stunner there bud, bet it's an absolute joy to ride.

Rick where do you live because by the look of that scenery there has to be more interesting trails than those around - I hope so anyway or that Bronson is going to be wasted.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Rick where do you live because by the look of that scenery there has to be more interesting trails than those around - I hope so anyway or that Bronson is going to be wasted.

Everywhere was boggy yesterday after all the rain so I stuck to trails that would not be muddy and waterlogged.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    What mount do you use for the Garmin to mount on top of a short stem?

I've been looking for something a bit more secure than elastic bands. The SRAM one doesn't work with a short (50mm stem) :(
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Hob Nob wrote:

I've been looking for something a bit more secure than elastic bands. The SRAM one doesn't work with a short (50mm stem) :(

You could use something like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-adjustab ... orerunner/

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1 wrote:

You could use something like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-adjustab ... orerunner/

:D

That is the one I use, its been very good up to now and far better than the old all alloy K-Edge ones IMHO now it has the delrin insert.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Rick where do you live because by the look of that scenery there has to be more interesting trails than those around - I hope so anyway or that Bronson is going to be wasted.

Everywhere was boggy yesterday after all the rain so I stuck to trails that would not be muddy and waterlogged.

Fair enough! I forgot there was flooding and such in the UK presently - the weather is not exactly playing ball over here for the ski season!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.