Santa Cruz Bronson build.

Comments

• jez1984 wrote:
    Ibis has just sold so now the wait for the Bronson 8) hearing its likely to be 5-7 weeks off still :cry:

Ive got a medium carbon Bronson on order in tennis yellow. I contacted Santa Cruz UK today and they said they were expecting a shipment early to mid October but couldn't guarantee what would be on it until a few days befor it gets shipped. I'm hoping it will come soon as I've been waiting a month already and I'm not good at waiting usually, got all the bits ready too.

ill update this forum if i hear anything.

The waiting is torture! If I want something I am used to getting it and not having to wait LOL.

I could of had the black and orange one straight away from Cannock chase but wanted yellow so have to wait. I think its a bloke thing wanting something straight away especially if its new and expensive and something not alot of other people have. :D
  • My General Lee has arrived while I am away so I now have everything apart from the frame and forks! Everything else is ready to go.
  • One General Lee:
    IMG_2794.jpg
    Fitted:
    IMG_2798.jpg
    Cheap wheels are ready to roll:
    IMG_2797.jpg
    And these have arrived 8) :
    IMG_2795.jpg
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I love how you say "cheap wheels"...
  • ej2320
    Also very interested by that general lee cassette thing..
    Does it make it a 40t at the rear?.. Could you explain it please? I'm very intrigued as I can't afford sram XX1
  • ej2320 wrote:
    Also very interested by that general lee cassette thing..
    Does it make it a 40t at the rear?.. Could you explain it please? I'm very intrigued as I can't afford sram XX1

It replaces the top 3 cogs of the shimano cassette and I now have a 40 tooth ring out the back.

I have seen people on other forums getting on ok with it. I have also seen a review in a UK mag where they criticised its durability but then until the big S sorts something out like this its either this or the regular cassette as I am not a huge fan of Sram stuff. I expect shifting will not be as good into the 3 rings as Shimano but options are a bit limited, XX1 or nothing really.

On a side note the wheels are winging there way to New York now 8)
  • ej2320
    got ya, effectively an XX1 but without 11 cogs.. might look into that for my build
    I've ordered the exact some wheelset as you but with the blue hubs :)

any update on the Bronson ETA? might as well stop by Cruz and pick it up yourself while you're in the states!
  • Big update on page one :)
    P1030583.jpg
  • @lexD wrote:
    Absolutely love it cracking build mate 8) 8) 8)

Thanks.

I had my first ride on it this evening and I love it. Very pleased to be back on VPP suspension, it just feels soo right to me.

he new 2014 Fox CTD is so plush, there is a clear difference between settings and it just feels a huge improvement over the 2013 34 I had. If I had a 2013 34 I'd be boxing it up and sending it to Mojo right now.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Very nice. I might be getting a test on one in the next few weeks, kinda hoping they change the colours though, I'm not too keen on either of the current colours tbh, but strangely I do prefer the Yellow over the matte carbon :shock:
  • ej2320
    Wow... My alloy transition is now inferior

That's literally my dream bike, epic build mate
  • Thanks guys.

Got a few miles in on it and I love it. Yesterday I was out on my first ride and to be honest I was underwhelmed, the wheel size felt no different to a 26er. Today however I went on my normal route and I really felt the difference over rocky terrain, it just rolled over it better.

The 2014 Fox fork is great as well, a lot better than the 2013 tune on my old Ibis.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Lovely bike, ever so slightly jealous, although I'd prefer the matte carbon colour.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Antm81 wrote:
    Lovely bike, ever so slightly jealous, although I'd prefer the matte carbon colour.

Me too - I have one as the wallpaper on my laptop currently - very tempted to get one next year - although I may cheapen up and go alloy. Had a ride in a carpark on one and would love to try one in anger. Or wait and buy Rick's in 6 months or so.....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I like the white paintjob on the ally version. Not that I can afford one, lol.
  • Antm81 wrote:

Me too - I have one as the wallpaper on my laptop currently - very tempted to get one next year - although I may cheapen up and go alloy. Had a ride in a carpark on one and would love to try one in anger. Or wait and buy Rick's in 6 months or so.....

LOL, I am finally at home on a bike, it rides so nice. This one is definitely a keeper, everything about it just feels right. Between this and my Cotic I think I have the perfect blend for me.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Antm81 wrote:

LOL, I am finally at home on a bike, it rides so nice. This one is definitely a keeper, everything about it just feels right. Between this and my Cotic I think I have the perfect blend for me.

Damn!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I can honestly say is bike is amazing. It climbs well (far better than the engine powering it however that's improving slowly!), descending it's just in another class compared to my past bikes. The VPP 2.1 is great and the 2014 CTD Talas 34 and rear shock are a vast improvement over the 2013 stuff. I am liking the High roller II's but they are a little on the heavy side. I might try some Hans Dampf's on the Enve rims to see how they feel.

The only thing I am not 100% sold on is the 34 tooth chainring. I might try a 32 as I am loathed to go for either a double or XX1. One because I like where the reverb remote is now positioned and two because I am not a huge fan of SRAM stuff. I only Shimano would hurry up with the new XTR stuff.
  • lawman
    I can honestly say is bike is amazing. It climbs well (far better than the engine powering it however that's improving slowly!), descending it's just in another class compared to my past bikes. The VPP 2.1 is great and the 2014 CTD Talas 34 and rear shock are a vast improvement over the 2013 stuff. I am liking the High roller II's but they are a little on the heavy side. I might try some Hans Dampf's on the Enve rims to see how they feel.

The only thing I am not 100% sold on is the 34 tooth chainring. I might try a 32 as I am loathed to go for either a double or XX1. One because I like where the reverb remote is now positioned and two because I am not a huge fan of SRAM stuff. I only Shimano would hurry up with the new XTR stuff.

Struggling with the 34t even with the general lee adapter?! :shock:

Clearly not able to do it any justice, I'll happily show you how it can be ridden properly :P I'll echo the XTR though, they seriously need to bring out something to rival XX1/X01. I'm a big shimano fan but even I'm having to consider X01 as an alternative.
  • lawman wrote:
    I can honestly say is bike is amazing. It climbs well (far better than the engine powering it however that's improving slowly!), descending it's just in another class compared to my past bikes. The VPP 2.1 is great and the 2014 CTD Talas 34 and rear shock are a vast improvement over the 2013 stuff. I am liking the High roller II's but they are a little on the heavy side. I might try some Hans Dampf's on the Enve rims to see how they feel.

Struggling with the 34t even with the general lee adapter?! :shock:

Clearly not able to do it any justice, I'll happily show you how it can be ridden properly :P I'll echo the XTR though, they seriously need to bring out something to rival XX1/X01. I'm a big shimano fan but even I'm having to consider X01 as an alternative.

:lol: Riding up some of the climbs here is a bitch whatever gearing you have! Don't get me wrong I get up them fine but I just think sometimes 'I wish I had a granny ring'.

Today's ride:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/89219765
    I was pretty ruined after only 4 hours sleep in over 24 hours after flying in overnight from Dubai. What I'd give to have a normal job!
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    How is the shifting with the General Lee? I've been looking into getting XX1/X01 but it's £600 compared to about £100 for the GL
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • dusk wrote:
    How is the shifting with the General Lee? I've been looking into getting XX1/X01 but it's £600 compared to about £100 for the GL

I was sceptical at first, I went for the 40 tooth shimano one and not the 42 as I was not sure 42 tooth might be pushing it a bit far. Its very good up to now, I will be buying another one for my other wheels. Shifting is pretty good, not as good as a regular cassette IMHO but not very far off at all. It maybe takes ever so slightly longer to change when on the GL but we are talking micro seconds.

I cannot comment on wear yet but I would recommend it.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Hot bike, I would hit that. :wink:
  • Got another General Lee adapter, XT cassette, ice tech rotors and pair of Highroller II's in 2.3" 3c EXO compound on the way for the Enve's I am collecting next week. I cannot wait to get them and see if I can feel any difference.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Really interested in hearing how the general lee is going after some more time on the trails. I am just about to push the order button on one, just trying to find some more feedback as to how good it actually is!
  • lawman
    Had my first spin on a Bronson yesterday... Oh. My. Days. If Santa Cruz can sort the colours out (and given my current funds they'll have long enough!), I will beg, borrow and steal to get one. The large I rode felt spot on, felt super responsive but stable too and the perfect length for a 50/60mm stem. I will definitely be having one for a weekend soon, test it out on our DH trails and the enduro trails over in Machynlleth. I'm afraid it could all turn very, very expensive, but it'll have to wait a wee while I think :(
  • lawman wrote:
    Had my first spin on a Bronson yesterday... Oh. My. Days. If Santa Cruz can sort the colours out (and given my current funds they'll have long enough!), I will beg, borrow and steal to get one. The large I rode felt spot on, felt super responsive but stable too and the perfect length for a 50/60mm stem. I will definitely be having one for a weekend soon, test it out on our DH trails and the enduro trails over in Machynlleth. I'm afraid it could all turn very, very expensive, but it'll have to wait a wee while I think :(

I love mine, it rides so so well, it's just great in all areas. The 650b wheels roll well and you don't notice them as you do the 29ers wheels IMHO. It's only when you get on a 26er that you really feel how much they smooth out the trail. I cannot compare it to the Ibis as I never felt at home on that bike, I wanted to love it but we just never got on.

The general lee is looking ok, I think keeping the chain clean and well lubricated will have a major impact on its life. I see a lot of people are getting on ok we them around the world so it should be fine. Shifting is more than ok, not shimano or SRAM quality but not a million miles off. After all you are pushing 10 speed stuff beyond its design limitations.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    lawman wrote:
    If Santa Cruz can sort the colours out

bronson_1a_34.png

bronson_1c_black.png

Already looking pretty well sorted to me. You should've gone to Specsavers... :wink:
  • lawman
    You clearly don't know me, I can't have the alloy version!!! :lol: If I'm gonna do it, it's gotta be carbon and I'm not a fan of the black/blue/orange at all, without the enves I think they can look properly cheap and when you're paying that kinda cash, it should be just how you want it. Tbf I have considered the matte carbon and getting slick to make some decals to cover the ghastly Orange, but I'd be happier if they did a black and white option so you have a few more options for customizing finishing parts and so on.

The tallboy 2 has this option, they just need to make an option on the Bronson!

53_0_3.jpg?width=800

This has nothing to do with wanting both bikes to match either... not at all... honest

Unless you put blue or orange stuff on the current matte frame, it will look crap! :lol: all about the lime green for me!