Orange 5 - A recreational bike only?

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    ...I don't know enough about bikes to tell the difference between them anyway....

You don't need to know anything about bikes to feel the difference between bikes. You might not be able to explain or put into words well, why one bike felt better than the other but you will feel the difference if you ride them. You'll end a trail and have a bigger smile than before or you'll clean that climb that you've been struggle to do etc ...

I had a similar feeling to you when I first tried my first full suss bike but then you try a few more and realise that others may be better.

I'm a big believer in trying before you buy and would always recommend this. Having demoed quite a few bikes in search of "the one" I realised they are all different and have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. Not everyone is the same and you won't agree on which compromise is the best. Hence try it out and see what works for you.

FYI - Transition Bandit did it for me :-)
  • Anyway - I'm going for the 5. Going to LBS tomorrow to do a deal.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Anyway - I'm going for the 5. Going to LBS tomorrow to do a deal.

You won't regret it, although your wallet might ;)

which build kit are you going for?
  • ej2320 wrote:

The Pro. Although I'm already planning upgrades :D
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ej2320 wrote:

Oh for...
    You know what, you'll fit RIGHT IN here then.

What the fu** happened to people?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009

Why not just buy a bike with the correct parts in the first place?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think it's like a new hobby. Spend shedloads then plan how to spend more.
    But it is a lot less hot and sweaty than actually riding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320 wrote:

Oh for...

I don't know what your problem is but jog on.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ej2320 wrote:

Oh for...

I don't know what your problem is but jog on.

I think his point is, as said above, why spend a fortune (on a widely thought of over priced bike) to then spend more on upgrades? Why not just shop around and find the bike you want? Obviously upgrades like reverbs etc are different.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Or you could you know, buy the frame, and spec whatever parts you want. Why buy the damned thing form Orange if it's not what you're looking for.
  • Well, chaps, I didn't think that planning to add a dropper seatpost would be such a controversial decision.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Reverbs aren't controversial.
    Moronism is.
  • Reverbs aren't controversial.
    Moronism is.

If you think I''m a moron for wanting to add a dropper seatpost to my new bike then I think you must be confused. If you'd like to state your case then I'll gladly discuss it with you, but I won't be responding to insults and swearing.

Come on - I assume you're an adult. Let's ditch the playground stuff, eh?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'll gladly discuss it with you, but I won't be responding to insults and swearing.

Listen, pal, why should I rise out of the gutter to your level, whilst you don't do a thing? At least meet me halfway here.
    You come down a bit towards my level, I'll raise up a bit towards yours. How's that, sunshine?

The point of choosing to spec a bike, with a spec you don't want, is just moronic. Why not buy the damned frame, and buy the bits you want?
    "A" reverb, is not "upgrades". Upgrades is a plural term. If you were above the playground level, and/or not worthy of the accusation of suffering from moronism, you'd be aware of that. Not only that, but you can buy the actual bike with a reverb included.
    So quit backing out, you had something in mind other than a seatpost, you know it, I know it, we all know it.

You want to be childish, I'll gladly be childish.
  • I'll gladly discuss it with you, but I won't be responding to insults and swearing.

Listen, pal, why should I rise out of the gutter to your level, whilst you don't do a thing? At least meet me halfway here.
    You come down a bit towards my level, I'll raise up a bit towards yours. How's that, sunshine?

The point of choosing to spec a bike, with a spec you don't want, is just moronic. Why not buy the damned frame, and buy the bits you want?
    "A" reverb, is not "upgrades". Upgrades is a plural term. If you were above the playground level, and/or not worthy of the accusation of suffering from moronism, you'd be aware of that. Not only that, but you can buy the actual bike with a reverb included.
    So quit backing out, you had something in mind other than a seatpost, you know it, I know it, we all know it.

Weeell, you got me there, guv'nor.

I was going to get a 20mm longer stem off ebay so I could swap them over for doing marathons and stuff, and my LBS might be prepared to throw in some considerable value in accessories, so I was going to get some new Time ATAC pedals.

The point is, as soon as I mentioned upgrades, you jumped to the conclusion that I meant big expensive upgrades.

The problem we have now is that you are one of these people who doesn't like to lose face, and has to have the last word, so rather than apologising for going off the deep end, you will just say that 1. You don't believe me, or 2. It is my fault for leading you to your misapprehension, and/or, 3. you will throw some more insults around, in an effort to reassert your status, like a gorilla in the jungle, baring his teeth and throwing his turds around.

You can reply if you like, but given that my testicles have actually descended, I really couldn't care less what you have to say.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'll gladly discuss it with you, but I won't be responding to insults and swearing.

I was going to get a 20mm longer stem off ebay so I could swap them over for doing marathons and stuff, and my LBS might be prepared to throw in some considerable value in accessories, so I was going to get some new Time ATAC pedals.

The point is, as soon as I mentioned upgrades, you jumped to the conclusion that I meant big expensive upgrades.

The problem we have now is that you are one of these people who doesn't like to lose face, and has to have the last word, so rather than apologising for going off the deep end, you will just say that 1. You don't believe me, or 2. It is my fault for leading you to your misapprehension, and/or, 3. you will throw some more insults around, in an effort to reassert your status, like a gorilla in the jungle, baring his teeth and throwing his turds around.

You can reply if you like, but given that my testicles have actually descended, I really couldn't care less what you have to say.

Welcome to Bikeradar!! You'll get used to him and soon learn to ignore him :lol:
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543

hahahahaha, in all fairness a new seatpost clamp could be called an upgrade and you can buy one of those for £10
  • YeehaaMcgee
    So there we are, more than one upgrade.
    This recent financial retardation that's inflicting mtbing, means that more and more people are coming here and asking "I've just bought/ordered a bike, what will I upgrade?". It's as if upgrading has made actually riding the damned thing a secondary activity.
    Now, whilst your "upgrades" admittedly don't quite fall into the depths of idipcy commonly found on here, I still don't understand why such things can't just be specced on what is essentially a custom build. Or, seeing as Orange bikes are routinely overpriced, why not buy the frame, and build up your ideal bike in the first place?

As for changing the stem. I'll say what I always say. Ride it. You might not even want or need to change it anyway.
  • So there we are, more than one upgrade.
    This recent financial retardation that's inflicting mtbing, means that more and more people are coming here and asking "I've just bought/ordered a bike, what will I upgrade?". It's as if upgrading has made actually riding the damned thing a secondary activity.
    Now, whilst your "upgrades" admittedly don't quite fall into the depths of idipcy commonly found on here, I still don't understand why such things can't just be specced on what is essentially a custom build. Or, seeing as Orange bikes are routinely overpriced, why not buy the frame, and build up your ideal bike in the first place?

As for changing the stem. I'll say what I always say. Ride it. You might not even want or need to change it anyway.

Aye, I do see your point about upgrade fever. But speaking personally I'm so out of touch with modern MTB equipment that I don't really lust over high-end components. As for the stem, I have been "riding it" as I've just had a week-long demo of a Five Pro, and found myself wishing that, on long climbs, I had a longer stem. So for non-technical events, such as the Calderdale MTB Marathon and the Bronte MTB Challenge, which are both mostly bridleway, I'll swap over to a longer stem.

If I had more storage space or I didn't care about my wife's feelings, I would keep my XC-ready hardtail for events like this, and keep the 5 for enduros and technical trails. But the 5 is going to be my "do it all" MTB, and I think that a spare stem is a good way to make the bike more versatile.

As for the money, I started MTB racing in 1994 aged 19, and back then I couldn't afford "trick bits" [to use the parlance of the day] to customise my bike, but now I can afford it, so if I feel like swapping my seatpost collar for a different coloured one, for no good reason, I might well do just that :D
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Fair enough.
    I still reckon it's possible that if you find the right stem length / cockpit length for you, then you won't need to change it from one event to another.

See, now you've gone and dragged me up from the sandpit, kicking and screaming. Dammit. Gaaargh, er... er... you SMELL.
    There, soooo much better. aaaaaah.

Oh, and by the way ignore anything Lawman says. He spends so much of his student loan (and presumable mommy and pappie's) money on ludicrously boutique bike bits (anything mainstream won't do) that he will single handedly cause the next global financial crisis when he has to pay that sucker back. Definitely not a person to listen to :lol:
  • cooldad
    I believe in Lawman's case, the correct term is mater and pater. AKA lord and lady Muck.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Oh, and by the way ignore anything Lawman says. He spends so much of his student loan (and presumable mommy and pappie's) money on ludicrously boutique bike bits (anything mainstream won't do) that he will single handedly cause the next global financial crisis when he has to pay that sucker back. Definitely not a person to listen to :lol:
    I believe in Lawman's case, the correct term is mater and pater. AKA lord and lady Muck

My name's Paul, and this is between y'all.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, come on, play nice, you're here now too. Nobody's leaving here alive.
  • welshkev
    changing a stem for different rides is a new one on me, but horses for courses I guess :lol:
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    As a rule of thumb for new bikes.

Changing tyres = generally acceptable

Shorter stem/wider bars = standard WMB/MBUK/MBR guff backed up by many as essential for our 'unique' UK conditions.

Anything else = usually incurs the wrath of the twatterati, of which I count myself as a proud member.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    So there we are, more than one upgrade.

So true,
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Fair enough.
    I still reckon it's possible that if you find the right stem length / cockpit length for you, then you won't need to change it from one event to another.

See, now you've gone and dragged me up from the sandpit, kicking and screaming. Dammit. Gaaargh, er... er... you SMELL.

Oh, and by the way ignore anything Lawman says. He spends so much of his student loan (and presumable mommy and pappie's) money on ludicrously boutique bike bits (anything mainstream won't do) that he will single handedly cause the next global financial crisis when he has to pay that sucker back. Definitely not a person to listen to :lol:

FYI I earn almost every penny that I spend on my bikes, I have a job I can come back to in the holidays for the exact reason of not having to scrounge off my parents, which I have never done, especially not on my bikes, or dip into my loan too much, which I don't spend on ridiculous amounts alcohol, hookers, blow, whatever. I'm careful with my money and if I want to spend what I earn on what I want, that's up to me. You got a problem with it then keep your fucking mouth you cunt!!
  • cooldad
    lawman wrote:
    Fair enough.

FYI I steal almost every penny that I spend on my bikes, I have a job as a rentboy or scrounge off my parents. I spend ridiculous amounts alcohol, hookers, blow, whatever. You got a problem with it then keep your ******* mouth you ****!!
    Much better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    I don't spend on ridiculous amounts alcohol, hookers, blow, whatever.
    See, if you looked after your money, you could afford all those things too.

Sheesh, lighten up.
  • welshkev
    lawman wrote:
    Fair enough.

FYI I earn almost every penny that I spend on my bikes, I have a job I can come back to in the holidays for the exact reason of not having to scrounge off my parents, which I have never done, especially not on my bikes, or dip into my loan too much, which I don't spend on ridiculous amounts alcohol, hookers, blow, whatever. I'm careful with my money and if I want to spend what I earn on what I want, that's up to me. You got a problem with it then keep your ******* mouth you ****!!

what sort of student are you? I thought that's all students did was spunk their money on alcohol, hookers and blow :wink::lol: