Orange 5 - A recreational bike only?

Comments

• If you think that you had a revelation when you rode the 5 then wait until you ride a modern full susser ;)

Suggest me a model and I'll demo it :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    If you think that you had a revelation when you rode the 5 then wait until you ride a modern full susser ;)

Suggest me a model and I'll demo it :)

nukeproof mega tr, I really like the look of that.

santa cruz heckler or bronson
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    a piece of scafolding...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    welshkev wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    There's no such thing as an enduro specific bike. It's become standard that 160mm is enduro, no more no less. The reality is most people would be just as fast on a 130mm bike as only the pros can really use that extra 30mm well.

A test was carried out once 3 people, Novice, experience and pro
    2 bikes, a 100mm FS bike and a DH bike
    On the DH track only the pro was actually any quicker with the DH specific bike ....

pahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

is all I have to say on that.

I have ridden my 100mm travel hardtail (I don't have it now, but when I did) down cwmcarn DH track, I've also ridden my 140mm full suss down cwmcarn DH track, I've also ridden my DH bike down cwmcarn DH track....take a guess which one I was quickest on....um........

I would agree with that. I have a 100mm full sus xc bike and a dh specific bike. The DH bike is so much faster and easier to ride fast. I cant see how anyone could find a 100mm xc bike faster on a downhill track.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fourth road bridge.....

More seriously, try a Pivot Mach 5.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Transition Bandit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I would take a Five over a 160mm bike for gravity enduro. The courses just arent enough for a bike that big.
    Erm...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Take no notice of any of them, demo as many as you can and ride what you like best / can afford, regardless of brand.(MTBing has so many brand snobs it's un-real).

Hides under desk waiting to be flamed :lol:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    For an all round bike, 5" is a good idea. It will be great at trail centre type stuff and decent at xc and gnarlier stuff. I would only go bigger if you want to do a lot of gnarly stuff (ie down rocky mountains) and DH. I often choose my HT over my 6" for trail centres but would prefer something in between. I would get a beefier fork than a Fox 32 though. The components on Orange and Canyon are at opposite ends of the value for money spectrum.

And there is no way an experienced rider is as fast on a 100mm bike as on a DH bike on a decent DH track.
  • Thewaylander
    just go test ride some stuff..

Commencal, Lappiere, Mondraker as much as you can.
  • rockmonkeysc
    just go test ride some stuff..

Commencal, Lappiere, Mondraker as much as you can.

Or even some of the lesd common brands such as Giant, Specialized, Trek and Cannondale.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Transition Bandit.

Yes!
  • riche0
    riche0 Posts: 26
    Maybe it's worth asking yourself what you will be doing most....

If your mainly racing then maybe there are better choices than a 5.

If your mainly doing trails etc with a few races here and there than maybe a 5 is better.
  • riche0 wrote:
    If your mainly doing trails etc with a few races here and there than maybe a 5 is better.

This ^^ I guess.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions for bikes (and thanks Orange haters for restraining yourselves!). Have had a look at Nukeproof and Commencal - both pretty specific machines with single chainring which I can't use due to Q Factor issues. Pivot Mach 5.7 - nice - but same price as a 5 but without CTD shock.

It's still between the 5 and the Canyon Strive AL 8.0 which looks like fantastic value. And although I won't be able to sit on one before buying, with the fork shortened to 140mm and the shock set to "climb", it surely can be no worse than a 5 up the hills. Can it? :)

...but the 5 is NICE...

...and versatile...

...but I'll probably like whatever I buy...

...I don't know enough about bikes to tell the difference between them anyway...

...still no closer to choosing...
  • rockmonkeysc

The Mondeo of the trail centre.
  • Thewaylander
    Ok will post this carefully.

In MY experience having ridden a five and a zesty the zesty is a way better ride climbing better and far more supple on the back than the 5 for descending.
  • ej2320
    Saracen 16X frame set
    Banshee Rune
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Nukeproof mega AM
    Lapierre Spicey
    Transition Covert
    Transition Bandit
    Yeti 575
    Yeti SB-66
    Trek Remedy
    Cube Stereo
    Cube Fritzz 650b - Serious potential - Check out this prototype review, this bike is gonna be awesome http://m.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categor ... -13-47469/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ooooo look, a list of bikes. What are you going to do for your next trick?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

He's just being helpful. Be cool, dad.

EJ, I'm working through your list :D
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:

He's just being helpful. Be cool, dad.

EJ, I'm working through your list :D

I was just suggesting all the long travel trail/AM bikes I could think of so he can check some out for ideas

Sometimes, as I've found, It's hard to think of or find a lot of bikes that fit requirements you want

The transition Bandit is "short" travel by comparison but apparently descends like a 160mm bike so thought I'd include it

The new 2014 Fritzz is on my list at the moment, can't wait for a full spec list and buzzing to demo it.
  • ej2320
    Obviously I left a lot out, but I tried to list some of the brands that are less talked about

Just bear in mind a lot of these will change for 2014, meaning the inevitable 650b wheel size
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ej2320 wrote:
    Obviously I left a lot out, but I tried to list some of the brands that are less talked about

Just bear in mind a lot of these will change for 2014, meaning the inevitable 650b wheel size

You tried to list some less talked about brands, lappierre, cube and trek? Even Santa Cruz and nuke proof are fairly main stream brands.

But that's a pretty good list to work from. But try before you buy :)
  • ej2320
    welshkev wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

You tried to list some less talked about brands, lappierre, cube and trek? Even Santa Cruz and nuke proof are fairly main stream brands.

But that's a pretty good list to work from. But try before you buy :)

Key word.. Tried ;)

Totally agree, demo where possible, even canyon, they have demo events so try and go to one
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    A 5 will be fine for anything, you're unlikely of being competitive on anything to begin with, and whilst after some time, you may start to take the racing far more seriously, then you could consider a race bike, bu until then, you'll have a far more enjoyable time on an all-rounder machine, such as a 5.

However, if you want the best all rounder...

https://online.atb-sales.co.uk/p-1622-c ... -2013.aspx

End of thread.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320

Bit overpriced considering the spec I'd say