What's Your Pre, During and Post Ride Supplements

124»

Comments

• I like to keep it real....

Pre Ride: Food (the normal stuff you eat daily), Water & air
    En Ride: Water and if more than 40 miles maybe a flapjack bar
    Post Ride: More water and some chocolate / cake / biscuit (whatever nice stuff I come across in the cupboard first)
    Post Ride: Dinner / Lunch (the normal stuff you eat daily)

No special nutrition, I think what's the point unless you're professional, why take it that seriously!?

If any bike manufacturer produced a component that would guarantee you to decrease your recovery time and would improve your next ride do you not think everyone would buy it? You say you don't take it seriously but have a 1.5k mtb and a road bike - you seem quite serious to me. Why not get £100 halfords jobs? Because they are not optimal!

I don't get why people are so suspicious. Everyone here seems to think that taking your health/nutrition seriously is weird or only for professionals but I think it's just naive.

Yes you can get the benefits from real food, and if you do that's great, but in a field/car park I just want to get some nutrition in me quickly. And seen as everyone here is a sports scientist it's amazing how people dismiss claims that caffeine isn't a stimulant - ffs who cares if its not 30%, the point is its proven to work. Hell, they used to ride the TDF on coke and speed, but then again most people here would probably deny the boost that would give you!

Anyone fancy 80mg of caffeine and 1g taurine before a ride? Wtf?! I'm not an athlete. Anyone fancy a Red Bull before a ride, sure. Same thing but one costs 3p one costs £1.50. Hmmmmm
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    wormishere wrote:
    If any bike manufacturer produced a component that would guarantee you to decrease your recovery time and would improve your next ride do you not think everyone would buy it?
    They already do. Everything, basically.
    wormishere wrote:
    Everyone here seems to think that taking your health/nutrition seriously is weird or only for professionals but I think it's just naive.
    No, you misunderstand. We think it's snake oil.
    wormishere wrote:
    And seen as everyone here is a sports scientist it's amazing how people dismiss claims that caffeine isn't a stimulant - ffs who cares if its not 30%, the point is its proven to work.
    Yeah, we get that it's a stimulant. We're not arguing that. We're highly sceptical of it offering a 30% advantage. So, yeah, the 30% bit is the entire point of dispute.
    wormishere wrote:
    Anyone fancy 80mg of caffeine and 1g taurine before a ride? Wtf?! I'm not an athlete. Anyone fancy a Red Bull before a ride, sure. Same thing but one costs 3p one costs £1.50. Hmmmmm
    Stop making daft strawman arguments and putting words in other people's mouths.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Red Bull tatses like what I wring out of my shorts after a long ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    Red Bull tatses like what I wring out of my shorts after a long ride.
    mmm, yes, it does. Damn, you've made me thirsty now.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    wormishere wrote:
    I like to keep it real....

Pre Ride: Food (the normal stuff you eat daily), Water & air
    En Ride: Water and if more than 40 miles maybe a flapjack bar
    Post Ride: More water and some chocolate / cake / biscuit (whatever nice stuff I come across in the cupboard first)
    Post Ride: Dinner / Lunch (the normal stuff you eat daily)

No special nutrition, I think what's the point unless you're professional, why take it that seriously!?

If any bike manufacturer produced a component that would guarantee you to decrease your recovery time and would improve your next ride do you not think everyone would buy it? You say you don't take it seriously but have a 1.5k mtb and a road bike - you seem quite serious to me. Why not get £100 halfords jobs? Because they are not optimal!

I don't get why people are so suspicious. Everyone here seems to think that taking your health/nutrition seriously is weird or only for professionals but I think it's just naive.

Yes you can get the benefits from real food, and if you do that's great, but in a field/car park I just want to get some nutrition in me quickly. And seen as everyone here is a sports scientist it's amazing how people dismiss claims that caffeine isn't a stimulant - ffs who cares if its not 30%, the point is its proven to work. Hell, they used to ride the TDF on coke and speed, but then again most people here would probably deny the boost that would give you!

Clearly you haven't taken on board anyone's comments or opinions neither have you understood the rational behind the opinions and by the way you definitely posted you were not going to comment any further which in this case would be a good thing :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    caffeine gives you a boost but like any other stimulant you also get a come down
  • mat-ster
    mat-ster Posts: 55
    edited August 2013
    Don't be fooled - lots of clinically proven trials have shown that a large glass of "MILK" is more effective than "special protein shakes".

If you are not lactose intolerant this is a significant evolutionary adaptation to allow you to benefit from the milk of another species as an adult human...!

They do not publish because it does not present the conclusion they expected or want....!

OOhhhh another interesting fact drinking "red bull" (when on camera) is a contractually binding instruction for lots of the pro mountain bike riders. Its actually full of nasty crap, save it for a bomb...on a night out....!

Evening meal before the race - Pasta and light tomato sauce (make the sauce yourself rather than have jar crap)
    Porridge - if its good enough for Va Va Frooome it's good enough for me - breakfast large bowl of.
    Banana - for potassium.
    Bottle of 0 calorie electrolyte replacement e.g. Nuun or Zero.
    Water.
    Mule Bar - because it tastes nice
    Gel - take your pick what you like the taste of.
    After race - Large glass of Cow's milk - contains lots of good minerals and vitamins (protein shakes do NOT) and has calcium.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    POAH wrote:
    caffeine gives you a boost but like any other stimulant you also get a come down

The trick is drinking enough to never come down :lol::lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    capoz77 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

You sound like the Scarface of warm beverages :lol:
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    capoz77 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

You sound like the Scarface of warm beverages :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Collectively, this work produced several important findings. Endurance performance was improved by ~20-50% compared to the placebo trial ~20-50% following ingestion of varying doses of caffeine (3-13 mg/kg) in elite and recreationally trained athletes who ran or cycled at ~80-90% VO2max. Without exception, the 3, 5, and 6 mg/kg doses produced an ergogenic effect with urinary caffeine levels that were below the IOC acceptable limit. Three of four experiments using a 9 mg/kg dose reported performance increases,

Quick extract from research paper on caffeine and endurance for those who doubt.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Collectively, this work produced several important findings. Endurance performance was improved by ~20-50% compared to the placebo trial ~20-50% following ingestion of varying doses of caffeine (3-13 mg/kg) in elite and recreationally trained athletes who ran or cycled at ~80-90% VO2max. Without exception, the 3, 5, and 6 mg/kg doses produced an ergogenic effect with urinary caffeine levels that were below the IOC acceptable limit. Three of four experiments using a 9 mg/kg dose reported performance increases,

Quick extract from research paper on caffeine and endurance for those who doubt.

What research paper? At least give a link to the source.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    That's it, lets get all peer reviewed on his ass!

Out of interest, my post ride refuelling is currently standing at 3 pints of brains SA, plus some McCoys crisps.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Collectively, this work produced several important findings. Endurance performance was improved by ~20-50% compared to the placebo trial ~20-50% following ingestion of varying doses of caffeine (3-13 mg/kg) in elite and recreationally trained athletes who ran or cycled at ~80-90% VO2max. Without exception, the 3, 5, and 6 mg/kg doses produced an ergogenic effect with urinary caffeine levels that were below the IOC acceptable limit. Three of four experiments using a 9 mg/kg dose reported performance increases,

What research paper? At least give a link to the source.
    coulddobetter
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I know I could , but then I am no athlete .just an old fart on a carbon Boardman !
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

But as I said, what is the measure of 'improved endurance'? Is that 50% higher power output? Speed? Distance before ultimate collapse? Reduction in lactic acid? It's a pretty meaningless figure!
  • Read the link .
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I can't see where it says a 50% increase in a quantified metric. It just talks about "performance improvements", with a reference to cycling time to exhaustion. I simply do not believe that your 'time to exhaustion' doubles after a cup of coffee, so I want to know what they are!
  • 97th choice
    A 1996 study by the gatorade sports science institute? Is it really worth debating?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    But it says - Information herein is intended for professional audiences, including scientists, coaches, medical professionals, athletic trainers, nutritionists, dietitians and other sports health professionals who have a fundamental understanding of human physiology.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    Nutritionists, people like Gillian McKeith then or snake oil peddlers.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Eat well, sleep well, be consistant. Waste of time having one hell of a pre/during/post ride regime if your food and sleep intake the day or two before was pretty sucky.

Protein Supplements (lets not call them shakes) have their place and are handy if you're not able to get in regular food within an hour or so of doing an intense or long duration ride. The Milk comments are interesting as Whey is a by product from Milk (hence curds and whey) but is far more concentrated in it's Protein content to straight Milk so not the most practical if Protein is what you're after. Cottage Cheese is actually a realy good alternative to Milk if Protein Supplements don't do it for you.

The one supplement I do use in my bottle are Amino Acids purely to safeguard against any potential Muscle Protein breakdown, especially on the longer rides. Tends to aid the recovery process as you've already given your muscles a bit of a head start with the slow trickle of Amino Acids. By no means essential though but thats just my quirk.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Phew, getting some views.

Do what floats your boat!

some days a bacon sarnie and a pint.

On a serious day when my imagination says I'm leading Wiggo in The Tour (after reading a bit about glycogen production, reproduction and nearly falling off, going up Pebble Hill and the BONK):

Porridge an hour before
    High 5, 4 in 1 with 1 zero tab every hour in hot weather ( no tab in normal weather or just two tabs on short sub 2 hour ride)

1 High Five gel 20 mins before a hard hill set or a SIS caffein plus if I'm bolloxed (but make sure you got enough to get home as theyre good for about hour and then you plummett)

Body replenishes glycogen upto 4 times faster after heavy excerices upto the first 4 hrs.
    Muscles/liver deliver more glucogen at hard pace and body fat for slower stuff.
    When glucogen from muscles/liver stops, so do you = BONK

Glucose is better than fructose

Body can absorb 2g of carbs for evrey 1KG body weight per hour
    Protein makes no or little differrence to glycogen production.
    Caffeine is belive to increase carb intake by upto 20% but also gives mental clarity.

Not a chemist or nutrionist and read all this stuff from god know where. Dont care if I've made a minor mistake somewhere. Just read it your self and find out.

Did the Dunwich Dynamo recently
    Skinny bird weighing 8 stone and eating two bannas who does 8 spin classed a week and rides 100 miles almost didnt make it.
    Me, a fat bloke eating like a horse with the above stuff, flew it.
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • francis666 wrote:
    Body can absorb 2g of carbs for evrey 1KG body weight per hour
    More dependant on how depleted Glycogen Pool is - besides you would more than likely be sick if you stuck to the upper limit of that every hour.
    francis666 wrote:
    Protein makes no or little differrence to glycogen production.
    Protein broken down to Amino Acids will still create a strong Insulin Response - Protein in excess can start a process called GlycoG.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    I just bike for fun and fitness so;

Preride, my last meal.

During my Camelbak of water with a few of the electrolite tabs in. Maybe aTorq energy bar/snickers or something similar.

After, usually chippy! If in Lancashire its Steak Pudding Chips Peas & Gravy, with a Barm cake & 2 cans of vimto. If in Yorkshire (where I now live) or any other county I have to make do with what limited menu they have. Sometimes the do gravy.