What's Your Pre, During and Post Ride Supplements

wormishere
wormishere Posts: 51
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Hi,

I just wondered what everyone's supplement routine is. I cannot understand why a lot of riders don't supplement themselves properly when they go to extreme ends to make sure their bike is 'fully supplemented'.

Here is what I use

Pre-ride:
Plenty of water and some slow release carbs (3 Wheatabix normally)
Caffeine
Sometime I have a few grams of Taurine if I really want to murder myself!

During ride:
Plenty of cordial (I find the sugary taste gives me a kick sometimes over water)
Bananas
High 5 Caffeine plus gels (if needed)

Post ride:
straight after I have a protein shake (My Protein Impact Whey) with a scoop of Maltodextrin to get some carbs in.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bacon and cake.
    Seriously, I eat meals at mealtimes, have water in my camelbak, and a couple of random bars in case of snackiness.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Water. Maybe a mcdonalds on the way home. Cycling is my hobby, im not a pro athlete.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Pre- depends what time I'm riding and what time I got up in the morning. Either some breakfast or nothing. If it's an evening ride, usually nothing.

During the ride. Usually nothing, Maybe Jelly Babies depending on who I'm riding with and if we're going hard and fast on a long road ride.

Post ride- whatever I feel like at the next socially acceptable meal time. Also beer. Lots of beer as I do lots of afternoon and evening rides so it's usually acceptable.

CBA with supplementing with fancy stuff, I've tried a couple of times on proper long road rides (like out on the bike sat there pedalling for 6+ hours straight) and I have no idea whether it helped at all but it costs money to buy that shit and as a student I'd much rather get wankered.
  • Haha. I know what you mean but taking a protein shake is not exactly making me a pro athlete!

I just don't get why people don't just have a quick protein shake after a ride as (ripped straight from the My Protein site) "due to the high work rates in both distance and sprint cycling, it is advisable to consume high amounts of protein and carbohydrates upon completing a session. This is when muscle glycogen levels are at their lowest and most susceptible to replenishment".

It just seem strange that so many mtb'ers don't supplement when almost every other sport I have been involved in is into it in a big way. Most people spend ages cleaning and preparing their bike for another ride but pay no attention to repairing and preparing their body for the next ride!
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Pre: bowl of Cornflakes & two croissant
    During: Jelly babies & muffin
    After: Curry, preferably so hot it makes me cry and I have to put the bog-roll in the 'fridge.
  • spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    All depends of the sort riding I am doing. If I am just going for a bit of a play, I'll probably just sling some jelly babies in the camelback.

If I'm trying a bit I need to pay a lot more attention. If I am pushing hard I need to eat something every 30 to 45 mins, something like an energy jelly, banana, jelly babies, or I will die after a couple of hours. That's what I have found after years of riding.

If I am miles away from food, eg a carpark in the middle of cannock, i will often use a recovery shake. I find they help me get on with the rest of the day and not sit on the sofa...
  • THE best pre ride snack... taken from the blog below.

breakfast.jpg
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Cooldad and The Northern Monkey. They speak the truth.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Before: some food
    During: water, some food if its more than 3 hours or so
    After: milk, some food

I do sometimes have a protein shake post ride made with milk depending on where I'm up to on my weights programme.
  • spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    The opa burger challenge a Llandegla is interesting.

Do a lap, have a full opa burger including the chips and then do another lap. You then need to Keep it down....
  • robere3
    robere3 Posts: 8
    3 pints of cider
    lump of cheese raw onion

during ride dry scrumpy

post ride couple of nice malts
    pipe with bath gold in it
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    you guys love the jelly babies! never had them pre or during ride, will have to try LOL!

My eating is pretty consistant around riding...

Pre-ride:
    x2 sashets of oats so simple with semi skimmed milk, approx 500 kcals loads of protein and complex carbs
    x2 rounds of toast with peanut butter and marmalade (its nice with jam, tis epic with marmalade!!) again slow release carbs, healthy fats and good protein, reckon this is about 350 kcals
    x1 or x2 shots of espresso from the Tassimo machine.
    Take out a energy drink with me on the ride, powerade etc in bag.

During ride:
    Water from camelback with ice
    powerade when I have a break.

Post ride:
    My protein coffee MP Max Truewhey, with semi skimmed milk and ice cubes. As soon as I get back. Muscle recovery is so much better the days after etc.

Big meal within the next 2 hours to restock on kcals! :lol:
  • cooldad
    WTF is all the kcal, complex carbs and healthy fat sh1t. And powerade - is that like coke for pseuds?
    The roadie forum is over there>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • capoz77
    cooldad I lift weights 2-3 times a week so without enough kcals and loads of cardio, i'd lose weight and strength.

Nothing roadie about it ;) aim for around 3000-3500 kcals a day. :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    capoz77 wrote:
    cooldad I lift weights 2-3 times a week so without enough kcals and loads of cardio, i'd lose weight and strength.

Sounds pretty roadie, and oh so ghey.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 wrote:

Sounds pretty roadie, and oh so ghey.

Well since most roadies are skinny little rats I fail to see how it is.

A lot of butthurt on this forum nowadays :roll:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sorry, kiddo, supplements exist to part a fool and his money, and you've been suckered right in. Lighten up, and just enjoy the riding.
  • cooldad
    capoz77 wrote:

Plenty of people do manual work that would make your occasional weight lifting look like picking daisies.
    They eat meat and potatoes and stuff.

And obviously wear a singlet and beat their wives and children.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Another good thing about Swinley, is there is a very good kebab van near one of the entrances off a round about.
  • cooldad
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Another good thing about Swinley, is there is a very good kebab van near one of the entrances off a round about.
    That's why the local road kill disappears quickly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Before and after, whatever I am having for that meal. During, water if short, juice and a banana if long.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    whatever is in the fridge that the kids haven't eaten. plus water normally. Although I currently have a massive stock of some gatorade energy drink in powder form, as chain reaction were virtually giving it away in store.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Supliments is a suckers game...

waahey protein shake.. go drink a glass of milks its the same thing but cheaper... everything you need is a decent diet.
  • Breakfast: whatever cereal I'm on at the moment (Shreddies at the moment, Wheetos if I want to share what my 2 year old son is having), coffee and perhaps a Berrocca if I'm hungover (or if I just fancy producing fluorescent yellow pi55 later in the day)

On the bike: water

Post ride: beer, ideally something real and from a hand pump.

Supplements, sports drinks and the like are snake oil with no hard evidence underpinning their claims to enhance performance. Having said that, if you still think they're a good idea, I do have a magic tube of electrolyte tablets that will grow into a beanstalk which I'll swap for something FS in my size.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Pre Ride - Coffee

During - Sugar free Ribena in a bottle or camelback if out for a couple of hours

After - Breakfast

Actually, most of the time I don't have the coffee. That's just weekends in the week I don't normally wake up until halfway down the first decent.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I try & plan a pub stop or if i'm with the mrs we'll visit a tea shoppe half way round, other than that I just eat & drink what I fancy...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Anyone tried those ghey protein shakes?

Guinness and Bacon Butties with brown sauce for the win. Harribos for mid ride munchies.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    wormishere wrote:
    Haha. I know what you mean but taking a protein shake is not exactly making me a pro athlete!

I just don't get why people don't just have a quick protein shake after a ride as (ripped straight from the My Protein site) "due to the high work rates in both distance and sprint cycling, it is advisable to consume high amounts of protein and carbohydrates upon completing a session. This is when muscle glycogen levels are at their lowest and most susceptible to replenishment".

It just seem strange that so many mtb'ers don't supplement when almost every other sport I have been involved in is into it in a big way. Most people spend ages cleaning and preparing their bike for another ride but pay no attention to repairing and preparing their body for the next ride!

As already mentioned most people don't take it that seriously because it's there hobby so it doesn't matter if they go out for 3/4/5hr rides and smash themselves as there not competing so who cares if your cardio/output is 20% less the next day the body will naturally repair itself albeit a little longer.

I've raced road for 15yrs only ever carried two gels and a sportsbar for a 3hr race, nothing for crits and when finished a banana and a good meal like spag bol when I get home, the key is a balanced diet not wasting money
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • I love the way that some people are so suspicious of supplements when they are proven to work - its called science. Yet when a 14stone rider swaps to the carbon XXXXX to get the extra 'edge' no-one blinks an eye - its called marketing.

There is something to say that it is just for fun so who gives a crap, but I think a lot of people seem to buy a 2k full sus rig in the hope that it will make them a better rider. Why not start with the rider? Wanna go faster, loose some weight fatty!

This isn't a troll'ing thread, I just genuinely cant understand how so many people who are so dedicated to what they do will not take such small steps to make them a faster and stronger rider - i'm all for the pub after a ride, but get a shake in ya first!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    It most certainly is, there was huge report recently discussed on the forum where they were proved to be junk that the science.