What's Your Pre, During and Post Ride Supplements

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    What about a cup of tea? I used to be a coffee fuelled monster, but since cutting back, I only drink it when I'm really knackered, or in France, for some reason.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    njee20 wrote:
    That can be counter productive too, you start breaking down protein in muscles if you go for too long, more than 90 mins is a bad idea, if performance gains are what you're after.

protein is only broken down once fat reserves have been depleted.
  • poah
    What about a cup of tea? I used to be a coffee fuelled monster, but since cutting back, I only drink it when I'm really knackered, or in France, for some reason.

will make you dehydrated quicker as its a diuretic
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    POAH wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    That can be counter productive too, you start breaking down protein in muscles if you go for too long, more than 90 mins is a bad idea, if performance gains are what you're after.

I'm no expert but from what I have read it isn't that clear cut.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    mcnultycop wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

I'm no expert but from what I have read it isn't that clear cut.

Agreed, I've been lazy with nutrition and training and although I've lost a lot of weight I've definitely lost muscle and I've still got a lot of fat to be going at (currently 18%ish been as low as 15%)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Definitely not that clear cut - there's a very substantial supply of fat for most people, but you'll still use muscle proteins.
    What about a cup of tea?

I dunno! My then coach, and all the online guides tend to recommend coffee, dunno if the (minimal) sugar in the milk would offset the benefit, again it's always black coffee that's recommended. I have a pint of water, or a Berocca.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    POAH wrote:

But, Coffee's a diuretic as well?!?
    njee20 wrote:
    I dunno! My then coach, and all the online guides tend to recommend coffee, dunno if the (minimal) sugar in the milk would offset the benefit, again it's always black coffee that's recommended. I have a pint of water, or a Berocca.
    Berocca's good, I use it when I'm starting to feel a physical slump. And to be honest, I eat such crap food, that I need all the minerals and vitamins I can get my hands on :lol:

I read something, a very long time ago, that drinking coffee before a ride was recommended, because it raised the activity level at which you're predominantly burning stored fat, so you could ride harder, burn a little more fat, and still have energy in your muscles for when you really needed to push.
    I have no idea how accurate that information was, or whether it's still considered correct, but maybe the two are linked somehow.
  • POAH wrote:

To some extent, but not massively and not to the extent of affecting a short ride. Also, the reason caffeine works is because it stimulates release of free fatty acids, so the coffee helps burn fat (as long as it's black and has no sugar)
  • njee20
    I have no idea how accurate that information was, or whether it's still considered correct, but maybe the two are linked somehow.

I think reasonably accurate, as said, it's the caffeine that helps, so anything with a bit of caffeine (but no sugar) will work. I recall iced tea being another suggested option.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, I'll try it out then., cheers guys.
  • Jay76
    Jay76 Posts: 58
    anyone tried those power bars (Ride) geez they are too much.
    I went to Leith Hill, rode hard for 2 hrs... stopped for a break and had a bar and after that I was buzzing, nothing made me tired. Didnt want to go home.
    Woke up the next day and it felt like someone had snuck in my room in the middle of the night and beat me all over with a baseball bat.
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • njee20
    Really? Opinion seems to suggest they're pretty rubbish!

Not really a fan of energy bars myself. I like the convenience of drinks, and gels if racing, but for normal riding I'd rather use proper food!
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    POAH wrote:

But, Coffee's a diuretic as well?!?

Apprenently the small diuretic effect coffee (And tea) has is offset by the water in the drink itself, which far outweighs the diuretic percentage.
  • capoz77
    njee20 wrote:
    Riding first thing without breakfast (and without any energy drink) is a good way to speed up your metabolism and lose weight too, you have chuff all energy, so need to keep to relatively short rides, but I did the same this morning, rode 10 miles into work and had some porridge when I got here.

What your almost describing there is intermittent fasting, which is very good for longevity and scorching the fat off :D So many people eat so often, almost graze every few hours, the body never needs to dig into fat supplies, and simply runs of recently ingested food.

Good watch if youve got time...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt ... shortfilms

I wanted to get my bodyfat down from 18% at xmas, so tried intermittent fasting for 3 months, basically skip breakfast (black coffee ok as no calories) drink water all morning, and break the fast with lunch at 1pm, then proceeded to stuff my face as usual right up until 9pm. No food then till 1pm the next day.

So 16 hour fast, 8 hour feed. Found it very easy, surprisingly, skipping breakfast left me less hungry throughout the morning. Dropped to 14% bodyfat and lost a stone. From doing nothing different than usual other than having tea a bit earlier and skipping breakfast.

The body has no choice but to dig into fat reserves after around 12 hours with no food, so its a great way to lean out a bit, without eating any less food.

njee20 wrote:
    I only eat before a ride if I'm doing more than 10 miles off road or 20 miles on road. No ill effects, I did 40 the other week before breakfast, but I was hanging after about 35 miles, thought I was going to barf. That's when I made up the above rule.

There is quite a big following for IF now, and no muscle is lost, even on 20 hour fasts, 4 hour feeds. So 90 mins without breakfast isn't worth worrying about.

Some good reading here...
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

I've since dropped to 12% bodyfat and arn't fasting at the moment, the only downside of doing it for 3 months, my metabolism is now so blutty quick, i'm always hungry!! I should get back on it really :lol:
  • njee20 wrote:
    Do you? I'd not bother to take any fuel for a ride of that ilk, and certainly wouldn't use a recovery drink afterwards, unless I had a big race coming up (ie that week). You're going to burn 1500 calories or so, I'm sure you can replenish that just fine in your normal diet and maybe even lose a bit of weight.

Supplements have a place, but I still maintain that the vast majority of people simply aren't training hard enough to need them.

This is why...long day at work followed by cat 4, cat 3, cat 4 (on a mtb with 2.25's)...and I am guessing I am not as fit as you.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    wormishere wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Do you? I'd not bother to take any fuel for a ride of that ilk, and certainly wouldn't use a recovery drink afterwards, unless I had a big race coming up (ie that week). You're going to burn 1500 calories or so, I'm sure you can replenish that just fine in your normal diet and maybe even lose a bit of weight.

Supplements have a place, but I still maintain that the vast majority of people simply aren't training hard enough to need them.

This is why...long day at work followed by cat 4, cat 3, cat 4 (on a mtb with 2.25's)...and I am guessing I am not as fit as you.
    Long day at work, check. Long ride home, check. Lots of climbing, check. Supplements, er, no. I had water and a chocolate bar.
    elevation.jpg
    Big dinner afterwards, mind.
  • Coffee is not a diuretic ......the caffeine can boost performance by % 20 to 30 . All I do is take water . Interesting watching the prudential ride surrey . Blokes eating ham sarnies! All this farting around with supplements , nearly as bad as taking vitamins . Just eat a balanced diet.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Just eat a balanced diet.
    I do. Cheese AND burgers. And sometimes, fish AND chips :D
    And not forgetting, beer and kebabs. Perfectly balanced.
  • njee20
    .the caffeine can boost performance by % 20 to 30

How are you quantifying performance? Caffeine will not increase your power, speed or endurance by 30%. I'd go as far as saying that no single supplement will give anything like that!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well, class a disco supplements, maybe, :lol:
  • BBC prog recently exploded myth of coffee being a diuretic. Also put athlete on treadmil with decaff and full fat coffee distance covered greater by those percentages on caffeine. Monitoring under lab conditions at Loughborough uni .
  • poah
    BBC prog recently exploded myth of coffee being a diuretic. Also put athlete on treadmil with decaff and full fat coffee distance covered greater by those percentages on caffeine. Monitoring under lab conditions at Loughborough uni .

caffeine induces the release of adrenaline so you are likely to the a response from drinking it but that's not what a diuretic does.
  • I know about diuretics I am a nurse .just pointing out the fact it's a myth coffee is a diuretic.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    BBC prog recently exploded myth of coffee being a diuretic. Also put athlete on treadmil with decaff and full fat coffee distance covered greater by those percentages on caffeine. Monitoring under lab conditions at Loughborough uni .
    So, an athlete who could only barely manage to run, let's say a 26 mile marathon, before smashing out, would manage an extra 8 and a bit miles?
    Seems suspicious to me. That's one hell of an increase.
  • capoz77
    So, an athlete who could only barely manage to run, let's say a 26 mile marathon, before smashing out, would manage an extra 8 and a bit miles?
    Seems suspicious to me. That's one hell of an increase.

I take it you don't drink much coffee? :lol:
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    It's certainly hard to get unbiased info on these things, the weights and fitness sites are all crammed with supplement advertising, but being a competitive type I certainly see the benefit of at least considering these things.

A while ago I read up on some scientific literature that suggested that for gaining muscle mass, you want 1-2g of protein per kg body mass per day. However, this was for people who are doing a lot of weight training, a few hours a week will need less. My bias is smashing the downs, so am more interested in gaining a bit of all over muscle mass than losing fat. One thing that puts me off protein supplements is that most brands will cram as much protein in as cheaply as possible without consideration of any long-term safety issues, such as heavy metal build-up.

On the odd occasion I ride for a long time (say more than 3 hours) and don't eat proper food, I eat about 100g of dates/hour, which gives the same amount of sugar as the recommended amount of energy gel does, which may be too high but at least ensures energy levels remain high. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on this point.
  • thegreatpoobarr
    thegreatpoobarr Posts: 32
    edited August 2013
    I always necked a shot of coffee before heading out when I ran. No idea if it really worked, but I had no proof that it didn't.

Reasoning here http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/01/ ... 8020070117
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Don't use much for riding but when I work in hot environments we get electrolyte powders provided for us which are loaded with vitamins and minerals etc. They aren't necessarily to increase performance or recover better, they are used to replenish what we lose as we sweat (I'm talking sweating so much your clothes have salt stains after a short period of time). Never manage to sweat that much on the bike.
  • njee20
    Really don't believe that. 30% increase from a bit of caffeine? Utter tosh, 3% maybe.
  • I like to keep it real....

Pre Ride: Food (the normal stuff you eat daily), Water & air
    En Ride: Water and if more than 40 miles maybe a flapjack bar
    Post Ride: More water and some chocolate / cake / biscuit (whatever nice stuff I come across in the cupboard first)
    Post Ride: Dinner / Lunch (the normal stuff you eat daily)

No special nutrition, I think what's the point unless you're professional, why take it that seriously!?