What's Your Pre, During and Post Ride Supplements

Comments

• Stu Coops wrote:
    As already mentioned most people don't take it that seriously because it's there hobby so it doesn't matter if they go out for 3/4/5hr rides and smash themselves as there not competing so who cares if your cardio/output is 20% less the next day the body will naturally repair itself albeit a little longer.

I've raced road for 15yrs only ever carried two gels and a sportsbar for a 3hr race, nothing for crits and when finished a banana and a good meal like spag bol when I get home, the key is a balanced diet not wasting money

I get that it is people's hobby but why spend 5k on bikes and the associated servicing (if you cannot do it yourself) and not look at yourself. It seems that looking after your body to make to fitter next time you ride is considered 'ghey' where in most other sports (that are dramatically cheaper to participate it) they take the athletes being seriously. All the magazines do is advertise how to 'be faster', ride the smoother line, get the lightest/strongest bike etc etc but never focus on how can 'you' become a better rider/

But like I said, I am not trying to force everyone into it, I was just wondering what peoples supp's were to see if anyone had any good ideas! It seems to have lit a fuse!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Plenty of people massively over estimate what they need to take on in terms of calories to replace what they burn!

I'd be interested to know what sort of riding folk are doing with their porridge and toast and Weetabix breakfast, Powerade whilst riding a protein shake afterwards. Definitely agree with fool and their money!

I sometimes use High 5 Recovery, particularly if I've got successive days training in the lead up to a race, that's about it!
    I get that it is people's hobby but why spend 5k on bikes and the associated servicing (if you cannot do it yourself) and not look at yourself. It seems that looking after your body to make to fitter next time you ride is considered 'ghey' where in most other sports (that are dramatically cheaper to participate it) they take the athletes being seriously. All the magazines do is advertise how to 'be faster', ride the smoother line, get the lightest/strongest bike etc etc but never focus on how can 'you' become a better rider/

But it's not about that is it? You will recover just fine without supplements, you may not be at full strength the following day, but not that many folk are smashing out hard sessions day after day, and actually the reduction in calories will be more beneficial.
  • It most certainly is, there was huge report recently discussed on the forum where they were proved to be junk that the science.

Well done, but that was sports drinks - but I have not mentioned them. Milk was proven to work - a natural protein shake - but has a lot of carbs and fat compared to a shake. Drink 2ltr milk if you like the taste of it after its been in your car for 5hrs - or neck a shake....
  • njee20 wrote:
    But it's not about that is it? You will recover just fine without supplements, you may not be at full strength the following day, but not that many folk are smashing out hard sessions day after day, and actually the reduction in calories will be more beneficial.

But it is about that! I am sure you can get thorough that rock garden without five inches to see you through, but people want to be faster and better...and therefore they buy the five inch trail bike. If it wasn't about being faster then we would all still be racing DH on a rigid bike with bar ends and toe straps(Steve Peat mid 1990's I think). But is about getting every last advantage out of our equiptment. Sure, you would revcover fine, but why not quicker and stronger! I just don't get the last piece of equipment that is looked at in this sport is the most important!

I completely agree too about the overestimation of calories - which goes hand in hand with the general lack of knowledge regarding physical well being. But, for instance, my ride tonight will be 17 miles with 2000ft of climbing so I need some fuel before, during and after.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I used protein shakes for years, and i still think they have their place in a diet, but as already mentioned, you get enough of what you need from a pint of milk, and thats what i tend to use as a recovery drink

I think maybe the point is being missed here in that its more important to consider the merits of why you should consume certain nutrients after a ride as opposed to what you should consume. A shake will work just as well as a pint of milk. If you want to use a shake, go for it, if you want to use a pink of milk, thats fine too. The importnat thing is to replace what you have used.

Beer is not a good post ride drink (from a nutrient perspective, not cause Beer isnt good. Beer is awesome.)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    wormishere wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

But it is about that! I am sure you can get thorough that rock garden without five inches to see you through, but people want to be faster and better...and therefore they buy the five inch trail bike. If it wasn't about being faster then we would all still be racing DH on a rigid bike with bar ends and toe straps(Steve Peat mid 1990's I think). But is about getting every last advantage out of our equiptment. Sure, you would revcover fine, but why not quicker and stronger! I just don't get the last piece of equipment that is looked at in this sport is the most important!

I completely agree too about the overestimation of calories - which goes hand in hand with the general lack of knowledge regarding physical well being. But, for instance, my ride tonight will be 17 miles with 2000ft of climbing so I need some fuel before, during and after.
    Rubbish. I am old and creaky but no reason I can't have a decent bike and still enjoy bacon.
    Kind of depends whether you see yourself as a serious athlete or like many just ride just for fun.

But even when I used to run competitively I just ate well and exercised properly.

And 17 miles is just a pootle, even for me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00 EXACTLY! That was the point of this thread really, rather than the monolith that it has become!

And cooldad - exactly, tonight is a fun pootle but up some lovely (read shitting steep) hills. I still enjoy bacon! What I am getting at is exactly what DCR00 said. Anyway - enough. I have established that the best post ride drink is beer, pre-ride meal is a full english and a huge burger will get me through the rest of my ride. Sorted, lol!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    But even when I used to run competitively I just ate well and exercised properly.
    Which is why I often bring up the subject of my brother's training. He managed to compete at a very high level as a weightlifter, without any supplement nonsense, just plenty of the right foods.
    Supplements are, by and large, a scam, and I stand by my "fool and money" comment.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    By the way, what the hell is in a 'shake, if it's not milk?
  • cooldad
    Soya and other sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    wormishere wrote:
    I have established that the best post ride drink is beer, pre-ride meal is a full english and a huge burger will get me through the rest of my ride. Sorted, lol!
    Your education is complete.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    By the way, what the hell is in a 'shake, if it's not milk?

I think it is the action of shaking that gives it it's name.

Add liquid. Add powder. Shake.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    So... what's IN it?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Whey protein. Casien protein. Flavouring.

It's bascially milk and eggs.
  • cooldad
    So scrambled eggs.
    Which are better with bacon.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    mcnultycop wrote:

so... Milk.
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    Before, breakfast lunch or dinner, depending when the ride starts, nothing out of the normal except if the ride is more than 3 hours I will eat a bit more quantity.

During, bananas.

After, see before.

Water and then glass cold milk after.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    mcnultycop wrote:

so... Milk.

Was going to say i was always told after working out a good cheap recovery drink is milk.

Ill admit I got sucked into the whole protein shake gumph by a lad at work. all it did was make my IBS flare up. Now I just eat sensibly enjoy my food an enjoy biking.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    njee20 wrote:
    Plenty of people massively over estimate what they need to take on in terms of calories to replace what they burn!

I'd be interested to know what sort of riding folk are doing with their porridge and toast

, Powerade whilst riding a protein shake afterwards. Definitely agree with fool and their money!

I sometimes use High 5 Recovery, particularly if I've got successive days training in the lead up to a race, that's about it!

I think your looking too much into it.

I come in from work hungry as fuck and tired. I don't have much time to get a ride in so need to kill the hunger pangs and get some energy quickly. Porridge takes 2 mins in the microwave, toast takes 2 mins, coffee is ready when toast is ready. Cheap as hell, probably costs less than 50p for all the above, and gets me on the bike in rapid time with loads of energy. Tastes good. Thats it. Theres nothing unenjoyable about it LOL

Give me some other foods I can make quickly after work, i'm not fussy, cheaply? Jelly babies just ain't going to cut it after a hard days graft.

I drink Powerade sometimes on a ride, theres nothing special about it either, pretty much the same as....

lucozade, redbull, monster, relentless (http://highfive.co.uk/ which you use ? roadie on the front of website so ghey right?) , jelly babies, there all sugar and carbs, just another way to give me energy when i'm tired as fuck.

Protein after the ride? costs about 25p for a scoop, chuck it in milk with ice, and it tastes real nice, normally hungry as hell after a ride and don't always get chance to eat straight away, great for hunger pangs, which milk alone doesnt satisfy. Don't always have it, in fact heres Saturdays post ride food...

Mcdees iced coffee frappa, with chedder deluxe and wrap, followed by croissants and an ice cold cider :lol:

mcd1_zps6f3a38ed.jpg

mcd2_zpsfcb90d7e.jpg

cider2_zps1e636ae7.jpg
  • cooldad
    Are you drunk?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    cooldad wrote:
    Are you drunk?

Not yet, just got in from a ride, and tonights post ride is whatever the missus cooks and beer :mrgreen:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    capoz77 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Are you drunk?

Not yet, just got in from a ride, and tonights post ride is whatever the missus cooks and beer :mrgreen:
    Maybe you eat too much. I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, ride 9 miles to work, a sarnie or beans on toast for lunch, and generally ride between 20 and 45 miles home almost every day. Then I eat something decent when I get home.
  • njee20

Do you? I'd not bother to take any fuel for a ride of that ilk, and certainly wouldn't use a recovery drink afterwards, unless I had a big race coming up (ie that week). You're going to burn 1500 calories or so, I'm sure you can replenish that just fine in your normal diet and maybe even lose a bit of weight.

Supplements have a place, but I still maintain that the vast majority of people simply aren't training hard enough to need them.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    went for a cycle yesterday - forgot to have breakfast, drank some juice on ride and had shreddies when I came home.
  • njee20
    Riding first thing without breakfast (and without any energy drink) is a good way to speed up your metabolism and lose weight too, you have chuff all energy, so need to keep to relatively short rides, but I did the same this morning, rode 10 miles into work and had some porridge when I got here.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    njee20 wrote:
    Riding first thing without breakfast (and without any energy drink) is a good way to speed up your metabolism and lose weight too, you have chuff all energy, so need to keep to relatively short rides, but I did the same this morning, rode 10 miles into work and had some porridge when I got here.

+1

I only eat before a ride if I'm doing more than 10 miles off road or 20 miles on road. No ill effects, I did 40 the other week before breakfast, but I was hanging after about 35 miles, thought I was going to barf. That's when I made up the above rule.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • YeehaaMcgee
    njee20 wrote:
    rode 10 miles into work and had some porridge when I got here.
    Hmm, I might start doing that.
  • njee20
    I only eat before a ride if I'm doing more than 10 miles off road or 20 miles on road. No ill effects, I did 40 the other week before breakfast, but I was hanging after about 35 miles, thought I was going to barf. That's when I made up the above rule.

That can be counter productive too, you start breaking down protein in muscles if you go for too long, more than 90 mins is a bad idea, if performance gains are what you're after.
    Hmm, I might start doing that.

Definitely works, don't have anything to eat before hand, caffeine helps, so a black coffee or espresso will make it even more effective.