TdF 2013-Stage 21 ** SPOILERS*** Versailles / Champs-Élysées

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    NO!!!!!!

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 14h

A brilliant win by @chrisfroome. After two British winners it's only right the Tour de France comes to Yorkshire next year.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I can see where you are coming from but from everything I have read, he lived like an `African` rather than a `Brit` and he hasn`t come to the Uk or has showed any desire to. He has plans for Kenya in the future.

What does living like an African mean? There are 54 fully recognised sovereign states in Africa, so 'Africa' as a denominator of anything is pretty meaningless. My 'African' friends, those that grew up in and in some instances continue to live in SA, Zambia, Kenya, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Egypt and Morocco pretty much 'lived' like I did in the UK, i.e. a comfortable middle class life, the only difference was the weather and in some instances the language.

Hence the `` but I suppose I should have said Kenyan.

I happen to know more about Africa/Africans than your average joe.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    I can see where you are coming from but from everything I have read, he lived like an `African` rather than a `Brit` and he hasn`t come to the Uk or has showed any desire to. He has plans for Kenya in the future.

What does living like an African mean? There are 54 fully recognised sovereign states in Africa, so 'Africa' as a denominator of anything is pretty meaningless. My 'African' friends, those that grew up in and in some instances continue to live in SA, Zambia, Kenya, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Egypt and Morocco pretty much 'lived' like I did in the UK, i.e. a comfortable middle class life, the only difference was the weather and in some instances the language.

Hence the `` but I suppose I should have said Kenyan.

I happen to know more about Africa/Africans than your average joe.

Fair enough.
  • frenchfighter
    Interviewer: Do you feel at home in Monaco then?
    CF: Hmm, I would say that I feel particularly at home when I go back to Africa.

He also says that the last time he rode his bike in Kenya was 2008 and that while he was riding with the local Kenyans they dropped him on the climbs...

I suspect that the only reason he got UK nationality was to ride under SKY`s wing because they wouldnt have supported a `Kenyan` and also because of VISA issues that he would have most certainly experienced just like other African and South American riders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    edited July 2013
    I think its a shame that he is not racing under a kenyan flag tbh...

whats the back story about changing nations there anyway?

more support from BC and Sky?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH Posts: 78
    I suspect that the only reason he got UK nationality was to ride under SKY`s wing because they wouldnt have supported a `Kenyan` and also because of VISA issues that he would have most certainly experienced just like other African and South American riders.

He had a British passport from birth so always had UK nationality. The decision to use that UK nationality is another matter.
  • frenchfighter
    le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130721-213245-381.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130721-213245-381.jpg

That was cool. Completely different smile came over his face than the forced effort for the cameras.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    The whole nationality debate is daft as anything. There are vast swathes of people that feel connected to more than one nation, and in different ways. Identity is much, much more complex than that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Too much being made of nationality here. Cycling is about how good the rider is not about where he is from. Save that sort of jingoism for footy and suchlike.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    NO!!!!!!

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 14h

A brilliant win by @chrisfroome. After two British winners it's only right the Tour de France comes to Yorkshire next year.

Oh FFS.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Totally agree. Nationality is neither here nor there, ok, so Bradley became the 'first British winner' which was a point in history and that was that bit done. Nobody really cares, there's plenty of people here with favourite riders who aren't even the same nationality as them.

More concerned as a Brit at Cameron trying to 'talk for the people', he's more unrepresentative of most British people than Froome ever will be, although Froome is pretty dull too!
  • Interviewer: Do you feel at home in Monaco then?

Suspect one of the reasons was not getting enough support from the Kenyan Cycling authorities, presumably for being a 'Brit.' If you can use your passport to get better support, you might as well. It's all much of a muchness really when you only ride for a national team a couple of days a year.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Interviewer: Do you feel at home in Monaco then?

Suspect one of the reasons was not getting enough support from the Kenyan Cycling authorities, presumably for being a 'Brit.' If you can use your passport to get better support, you might as well. It's all much of a muchness really when you only ride for a national team a couple of days a year.

And given he's said he fancies a shot at the rainbow jersey one day that would make quite a bit of sense.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    edited July 2013
    To quote from the Walsh article:

"That's a really tough question, but regardless of being first African or second British, the important thing is that I grew up feeling British even though I lived in Kenya. I rode for Kenya at the Tour of Egypt and in the Commonwealth Games but I always felt I was f-licking the system, this one white guy in the Kenya team. I didn't feel Kenyan".

Later he says he's most at home when he's returning to Nairobi (don't have that full quote to hand).

So why don't we let Froome choose who he is? A Briton who is most at home in Kenya.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    The whole nationality debate is daft as anything. There are vast swathes of people that feel connected to more than one nation, and in different ways. Identity is much, much more complex than that.

Its another stick to beat Sky with, nothing more...

Remember that well known Mexican Rider Michael Rasmussen? Or that well known Swiss gentleman Pat McQuaid?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Turfle wrote:
    So why don't we let Froome choose who he is? A Briton who is most at home in Kenya.

This.
  • frenchfighter
    Ok I`m out. Seems to me that the horse crew and co would just disagree in writing with whatever I said even if they agreed with it in person.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RideOnTime
    Ok I`m out. Seems to me that the horse crew and co would just disagree in writing with whatever I said even if they agreed with it in person.

neigh...
  • Macaloon
    I do think some people are Gallopin before they can Trott. This piece of over-exuberance for instance:

"Horse in McDonalds: Rider fined after 'drive-thru' refusal"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-23403935
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Well my thoughts on yesterday (in no particular order) :

It wasn't really at night so please make your mind up ASO as it certainly wasn't a nocturne but if it had been it would have been great
    Good to see David Millar having a good dig even though I'm sure he must have known it would all be in vain
    No fireworks :-( Unlike some, I thought the Arc lighshow was pants
    Can we have it cooler next year please. It was like a furnace and goodness knows how I didn't get heatstroke.
    Does the caravan get even more insane every year ? It certainly seems like it.
    Quintana looked so excited on the podium, like a kid who has just been told that Santa also appears in the middle of the year
    Next year I am taking the Monday off. Having got to bed at 2:00, getting up at 5:15 for the 6:43 Eurostar to get in the office first thing was pretty grim

Ah well, until next year...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Hey everyone! Only 258 days until flanders!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300

Even better - only 251 days till Roubaix!
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    chrisday wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's actually 265. Unless I've miscounted to Flanders.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    chrisday wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but it's actually 265. Unless I've miscounted to Flanders.

Dammit, I've got my weeks the wrong way round. I claim post-Tour fatigue, combined with Cobble Anticipation Syndrome :wink:
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • RideOnTime
    chrisday wrote:
    chrisday wrote:

Dammit, I've got my weeks the wrong way round. I claim post-Tour fatigue, combined with Cobble Anticipation Syndrome :wink:

Nasty. Out in lumps.
  • above_the_cows
    Froome got next to no support from the Kenyan cycling federation. He had to 'illegally' enter himself into the WC in Salzburg by hacking into their email account because they wouldn't enter him, he then had to represent himself there as a rider-manager and make his own jersey etc. Do you blame the guy for riding under a British license? I don't.

Did people get this worked up over Barbie's constant switching? I'm Australian, no I'm German, no I'm Australian, no I'm German.

As someone with dual-nationality I'd ride for whichever country gave me the most support, in my case it would probably be even stevens between the UK and NZ but in Froome's case the UK clearly wins hands down.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I've really warmed to Froome over the last few weeks. His interviews were always a little stilted, but he seems to have relaxed into the job, and become more human in the process. His low 5 with the kids was a nice human moment.

British - well if the law says so who am i to argue.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    OK I missed it

What's with the horse avatars?