TdF 2013-Stage 21 ** SPOILERS*** Versailles / Champs-Élysées

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Well I guess that's it for the TdF spoiler coverage.

Ladies and gentlemen it has truly been a privilege to share your company for the last three weeks. Bring on the Vuelta!
    Indeed, been some great crack. Thanks to everyone who contributed. Chapeau!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would have had massive respect if Froome asked them to play the Kenyan anthem instead. He has never even lived in the Uk and owes it nothing.

what about the (hundreds?) Thousands of pounds they have spent on him? Olympics etc? He picked to be classed as GB nationality.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    edited July 2013

Ladies and gentlemen it has truly been a privilege to share your company for the last three weeks. Bring on the Vuelta!

+1, an outstanding effort and much less trollsome than usual this year! Well done everybody! Fully makes up for my pathetic showing on PTP :(

Shame I can never get excited about the Vuelta!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Can't they just run the last lap again with a proper lead out for Cav this time...

I may be crying into my now warm champagne but great fun has been had these last three weeks folks. Much fun. Bring on the Eneco Tour of the Benelux. Oh yeah! :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Quality tour. I enjoyed the light show too.

thanks all for making these threads a lot of fun to read, it was worth signing up =)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I think we're generally too worn out by the Giro and the Tour to have the energy to do the Vuelta justice.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I wonder if they'll carry the light theme over into the start next year in Yorkshire and have a whippet with a miners lamp strapped to its head running through the streets of Halifax.

And by whippet I mean Michael Rasmussen, and by miners lamp I mean a burning copy of "Rough Ride" :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Kinda glad in a way.

Some of these threads have been awful.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Why does everyone have the horse avatar?
  • ddraver
    Can't they just run the last lap again with a proper lead out for Cav this time...

I may be crying into my now warm champagne but great fun has been had these last three weeks folks. Much fun. Bring on the Eneco Tour of the Benelux. Oh yeah! :D

Man, you re really crushed by that?! Have a virtual hug and another Bernie picture

BernieCav.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited July 2013
    ddraver wrote:

Man, you re really crushed by that?! Have a virtual hug and another Bernie picture

BernieCav.jpg

I am crushed. Crushed I tell you.

Errrr, Bernie is fully clothed in this picture... But what happy times. Happy times of sprint train excellence.

Thanks though :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Horseplay
    Macaloon wrote:
    While we're waiting for the action to start, I'd like to commend my feel-good moment of the tour: Frenchie's Camargue horse. Cheer up Frenchie :D

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12930529&p=18415364&hilit=camargue+horse#p18415367
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    Why does everyone have the horse avatar?

We re trying to make Frenchie feel better!
    - @ddraver
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Thanks for making the tour more enjoyable guys - even the doping chat/trolling was funny and added to the experience :lol:

There has been some top class posting though, and nice idea for the Horse Avatars - in fact might even stick with the horse theme for a while before beautiful David Millar returns!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

Kinda glad in a way.

How so TWH?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Yellow Peril
    Thanks for making the tour more enjoyable guys - even the doping chat/trolling was funny and added to the experience :lol:

There has been some top class posting though, and nice idea for the Horse Avatars - in fact might even stick with the horse theme for a while before beautiful David Millar returns!

Excellent avatar Ali :)
    @JaunePeril

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    What the hell am I going to do with myself now?

Oh yes, go on holiday :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Why does everyone have the horse avatar?

Someone was camargueing with FF over his posting of photos.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Just come on here for the first time today, I had completely forgot about the horse thing...reading down the page I was thinking...what the f*ck, did my wife spike my wine??
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Wouldn't it be more appropriate if you all used Gadolphin horses in your avatars?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'm starting to feel a little better so hoping to actually get out on my bike in the next couple weeks. I'm going to pretend to be Kittel. I might even get an undercut done.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Enjoyed Froome's speech.

Much more than Wiggins actually.
  • Yellow Peril
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm starting to feel a little better so hoping to actually get out on my bike in the next couple weeks. I'm going to pretend to be Kittel. I might even get an undercut done.

Go for a green beard instead :)
    @JaunePeril

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Meant to say...

I thought it was a good Tour, not vintage, but very good.

Froome impressed me, I really thought he'd choke somewhere along the way, or make a tactical mess of it (attack too early, get caught in an echelon etc).

Thing that really surprised me is just how crap the other big name GC contenders were though, Contador was a shadow of his former self, Rodriguez didn't have his usual turbo for the late attacks, Evans should just retire now, Valverde was unlucky, but still not even the best rider on his own team. It was

a disappointing race for the new breed of French guys (and the French in general), Rolland just wasting his time in breaks, PInot sadly ill, only positive was Bardet (Riblon's win was great of course, but at 32, he ain't the future).

Quintana really delivered though, and with smarter riding and team leadership from the start (hindsight's great innit) would probably have been only a couple of minutes off Froome in Paris.

I'm a big fan of Cav, but it's good to see some more variety in the sprints, though I don't think Cavendish was ever 100% at this Tour, too early to write him off just yet.

I thought the route was brilliant, not the organisers fault the gap to Froome was so big. The final week was very Giro'esque and it worked.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Not impressed with this kids on the podium thing that seems to be creeping in to a lot of major sporting occasions.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,036

Kinda glad in a way.

+1

Totally get that.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Exhausted after taking part in the randonnee du tour and then spending 3 hours staking out a spot on the champs. Ended up right up against the railing in the end. Hadn't realised just how big the caravan was. It's huge!

Really impressed with Millar's ride (he looked properly broken when he came through out the back after he was caught). Fair play to Kittel. Saw a few groups of partying Colombians ("Quintana! Quintana! Quintana!"). Heard a little bit of booing when Froome was announced the winner, but nothing major. All in all a great day out and a brilliant end to a fantastic tour!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    No danger of Froome winning SPOTY.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Was LOVING Millar's effort today.

If I ever see him I'd buy him a beer just for that.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Enjoyed Froome's speech.

Much more than Wiggins actually.
    Agreed. He may not set the world alight, but he seems a considered and gracious kind of bloke.