GT Chucker XS1 - Updated 11/07/16 - PG 12

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    buddy_club wrote:
    But for doing skids and stuff what more would you need :wink:

Maybe if he pedals fast he can make coloured smoke like those drift car tyres you can buy:

91d41c11566c7466abab6a807cc33a4f.jpg

When I was a kid you could get bmx tyres in all different colours. There was a company a while back making awful coloured remould motorcycle tyres too. lol.
  • buddy_club wrote:
    But for doing skids and stuff what more would you need :wink:

Maybe if he pedals fast he can make coloured smoke like those drift car tyres you can buy:

91d41c11566c7466abab6a807cc33a4f.jpg

When I was a kid you could get bmx tyres in all different colours. There was a company a while back making awful coloured remould motorcycle tyres too. lol.
    :shock: :lol: If they do that for £15, I'll'll be getting some of them for myself! I wonder if they do folding versions.....
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I imagine the bloke in the picture will find his unfolding before too long, lol...
  • That coloured tire smoke looks cool.

Heres a few pics of the bike.

IMAG0030_zps1c2fa10a.jpg

IMAG0031_zps01da4b07.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looking good on the rigid forks! Thankfully the Chucker frame has a short head tube!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I'm waiting for the inevitable "i think i'm going to spray the forks white or red" post.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Looking good on the rigid forks! Thankfully the Chucker frame has a short head tube!

Usually i like having a low handlebar position with no spacers. I was reluctant to chop the steerer on this fork because it essentially makes it only useable on this bike cause as you said it has a very short headtube. 11cm to be exact. (including the headset cups).

I decided to give it a go at the original length. I used 4 spacers. 3 beneath and 1 on top, and i liked it so i kept it. I would have kept it even if i preferred it lower, so i can use it on another frame if i ever get one.
    Ouija wrote:
    I'm waiting for the inevitable "i think i'm going to spray the forks white or red" post.

I was going to go red actually. :lol: I have a reputation for spraying stuff. But theres no point becuase its not my "main" fork for this bike. I think it looks pretty good as it as anyway.
  • Just a small update, new bar grips. Put the old ones on the Raleigh, and put a fresh pair on here. I had spare grips that were black with blue lockrings, so i decided to take the blue lockrings and use them with the red grips. They dont look too bad! Ill get a better picture of them tomorrow.

Today was the first time i even sat on the bike in around a month and half, i convinced myself to not be lazy today and go for a round of the local trail. I got a pleasant surprise today, two of the forests that i ride in were literally separated by a road! I took a different path today in the nearer forest and it took me all the way to the next one. So i ended up doing both today.

The rigid fork offroad was amazing, alot better than i expected since i bought it to be more commute friendly, even though i neglected this bike after taking a liking to my Raleigh again. I went for a sort of time burning ride today too, because i was going to cycle back into town to play some footy, and my mates were running a bit late. Went around and explored, saw loads of nice houses and stuff, and potentially a new forest to go exploring in.

The trails nearby are sooo boring now. There are almost no challenges, and i think even this bike is overkill. I hate London! Im hoping to give Epping Forest a proper go in the summer though, and in the mean time ill just get fitter and fitter, and get out more on the bike.

A comparison pic :D

IMAG0092_zpsd330de8e.jpg

IMAG0221_zps30de217c.jpg
  • Ouija
    With it's small sloping frame and white/red colour combo and rigid forks it's kinda reminding me of the 16.5" Maxlight bike i knocked together for nothing a couple of months ago.....

DSCF0250_v1_zpsa2837c9e.jpg

Why?

Because i wasn't riding it so i slapped some knobblies on it and upgraded the bar, stem and shifters (SRAM double taps) and have been pootling about on it the last few weeks. For light trails you don't really need the suspension, just large volume tyres with a bit of bounce in them and some tread.

DSCF0555_1_zpsf6d0f4b5.jpg

DSCF0557_1_zpsc34a6ff3.jpg

DSCF0556_1_zps1ee2d219.jpg
  • Lovely! I wanted white rims for mine too.

I do like the sort of compactness of the Chucker. I would definitely buy a frame this small again.

2.3 is a good width. I use 2.1 and its plenty, the Maxxis Aspens have never let me down once on the trails. They are really good. Todays run was at 40 PSI. Thats almost double what some people use on trails but i like having a firm tyre. Ive never felt as if i was bouncing all over the shop either, i did a bit but not a crazy amount. I just get off the saddle, and loosen my arms and legs and move on the bike to compensate for the terrain.

I did struggle with grip today obviously because the rear tyre is bald. I would have changed the tyre back to the Aspen but i just decided today that id get out on it. Its fun sliding the back around the wider corners. I had many "oh crap" moments today when riding through the stretch with loads of tree roots. Just slid off very easily.
  • Ouija
    Light tyres in the 500g range make a big difference. Have another set of wheels for that bike with more knobbly 1.75" tyres on for winter road use but they weigh 880g and you really feel the extra effort to spin them up to speed.....

DSCF0541_1_zpsd6bddcb1.jpg

so i ordered some WTB Wolverine race tyres from ChainReactions yesterday to replace them with (470g). Probably only get used for road stuff. But i find knobbly tyres tend to throw less crap up your back than slicks at this time of year.
  • Ive never felt the difference after changing tyre. Ive read alot on people saying that lighter wheels and or tyres make the bike feel lighter to pedal. Ive never really felt this effect.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Have you ever ridden a bike with properly light wheels though? or are you just swapping between all of the budget heavy wheels you have? I switched from a 2.4kg (ish) stock wheel set to a 1.6kg superstar set, combine that with swapping 1kg tyres for 600g tyres and the difference is night and day. It definitely makes a difference.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Have you ever ridden a bike with properly light wheels though? or are you just swapping between all of the budget heavy wheels you have? I switched from a 2.4kg (ish) stock wheel set to a 1.6kg superstar set, combine that with swapping 1kg tyres for 600g tyres and the difference is night and day. It definitely makes a difference.

Yup - my rule of thumb with components on any bike is anything less than 100g will not make a noticeable difference. Anything over that I can feel. Some people also notice things more than others - I know people who can't tell the difference between +-20 psi in their road tyres.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    Have you ever ridden a bike with properly light wheels though? or are you just swapping between all of the budget heavy wheels you have?
    Oi! :lol:

Well ive had very average wheels on all my bikes for all my life. I wouldnt really call the ones on this bike budget. Probably budget by other peoples standards.

Heres the specs on the rims that i have. Not sure on the spokes and hub though. The hub is unbranded, but the bearings are still perfect and they have been used a fair bit.

http://www.alexrims.com/product_detail. ... 25&pid=116

Im sure id feel some sort of difference if i had a change as large as yours.

Declan, 100g? Are you sure? I seriously doubt you will be able to feel that. Say if i changed your stem without you knowing, it looked exactly the same and didnt change the riding position at all, it was just exactly the same but 100g less, i honestly dont think you will feel that.
  • Ouija
    Depends where the 100g is. If it's on the rims/tyres it's really noticeable. But having said that, i've felt the immediate difference that a 100g lighter seat made to one of my hybrid bikes. Other components too. I think the lighter the bike the more you notice small variations in weight. If it's a heavy 15kg brute then a 100g isn't going to make bugger all difference as it constitutes a much smaller percentage of the overall weight.

I also think it depends on how much you ride. If you spend a lot of time on your bike you'd be surprised just how much you pick up on the little things. Back when i was doing 50 miles a week on a entry level 15kg mountain bike i probably wouldn't of noticed 100g difference in weight. These days i ride almost every day and average around a thousand miles a month doing long rides in the summer months and two short rides in the winter months (40 in the day and another 30 at night). When you spend that much time on a bike, trust me, you feel every gram.

As for the tyre thing. I own five sets of Pro Lite Alleyn 1.6kg wheel sets. The heaviest tyre i've got on any of them is the 560g tyres on my other mountain bike. The little rigid Maxlight bike above has heavy 2.4kg WPP wheels (two sets). One with some reasonably light Contiinental Speed Kings (pictured) that just don't really have enough tread for wet offroad conditions being rather slick down the center and the other with the knobbly 880g crappy Halfords cheapies. I prefer the tread on the cheapies but, frankly, the combination of heavy wheels combined with heavy tyres just ruins the ride for me. Hence the reason i'm replacing them with something half the weight.
  • If you spend that much time on a bike then im not surprised you notice it.

At the end of the day though, its the power in your legs that matters! My mates couldnt get up a hill on their granny ring, and it was on tarmac. I got up it on my arrowhead on my 42t ring without getting off. Shows how much of a difference training makes.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Didnt mean to offend with the 'budget' comment I just meant you havent had the opportunity to ride with components at the very light end of the spectrum.

You are probably right with your 100g stem example, you probably wouldnt notice a difference but its all the little bits that add up. If you save 100g on each component, that could add up to a couple of kilos on the bike, which does show. Rims and tyres are most important though. My new wheels were not only lighter but definitely feel stiffer and more direct which adds the bike feeling light and nimble.
  • Yeah i know :) If i get a job (application pending!) Im going to go for a super lightweigh build, and wheels + tyres would be the main focal point. Id probably afford to splash out as i wont have to be paying any bills and stuff, just pure pocket money :mrgreen:

I dont really know what wheels id go for. Ive seen a Halo T2 on a Shimano M475 hub going for £140 brand new for both the front and back wheel. Thats about all ive seen so far. Im not even going to bother looking further until i get a job though. Frame wise, all i know is i want a small hardtail, just like the Chucker. Weight wise i think it will be a challenge to get lighter than this frame. Certainly on the same amount of money. I payed £40 for this frame, and it was absolutely mint (still is) when i bought it, and it came with the mech hanger and seatpost clamp.

It would be very nice to have a super lightweight build, saving little bits of weight everywhere. Good lightweigh parts can mean an expensive build, and its not a good idea to have an expensive bike where i live.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Dont get too obsessed with weight saving, if you get a good base as in wheels and frame the rest is easy. I went from a 16Kg brick to my 11.8Kg Scandal its a totally different ride. That along with better geo and the right size frame makes things much more enjoyeable.
    Lightweight is good, but sometimes lightweight kit isnt always as stiff as the heavier bits for obvious reaons.
  • Thanks for the advice, and thats a hell of alot of difference there.

I dont understand geometry properly. The only experience ive had with geometry is that long forks give a more numb feel in the steering.

Well i just knocked up a quick list to see how much a new rigid lightweight build would cost, and it came to around £750 give or take, using only brand new parts from CRC and eBay. I could knock £70 off that if i used a fork that ive got already. Obviously i could go even lower if i were to get 2nd hand bits and bobs. I included the frame in that £750. The price i put at it was £60, eventhough im not sure what type of frame id go for.

I really fancy one of these though, and ive seen one on pinkbike going for £75.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=azoni ... B569%3B365

Bear in mind this is all "my heads in the clouds" sort of thing. 3 reasons why. It would be overkill for anything i ride at the minute, its not a good idea to have a flash expensive bike in London, and all i have left to play with at the moment is a tenner :lol: Just cant wait to get a job, then at least its a possibility.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Have a look at other sites you get some really good deals pop up. Few to look at below not a massive list but gives you more options. Merlin are especially good

superstarcomponents.com
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/
    http://www.merlincycles.com/
    http://www.on-one.co.uk
  • The Rookie
    Ouija wrote:
    The little rigid Maxlight bike above has heavy 2.4kg WPP wheels (two sets)..
    ddm, not WPP!

I can't feel a single 100g saving on most parts of my bike (tyres or tubes being the exception - notice them readily enough) but I can tell the difference once I have 4-5 x 100g savings.....

Very few times has a change saved more than 100g, but all added up they have made a huge difference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • A bit of tinkering was done today. Cleaned the entire bike, went as far as stripping the seat clamp and cleaning that, and adding a bit of grease to it. Much improved.

Off goes the Dis-Advantage and back on goes the Maxxis Aspen.

This is the first time ive cleaned her up since the build! The drive train was a right mess after yesterdays ride, was fossilized in dry mud. I hosed the cassette down and brushed all the crap i could off of it with a brush, did the same with the chain. I relubed with GT85 (best lube ive got) and i did a few adjusments to the gears and the chainguide. Spins like a demon now, and all gears are working well.

The brakes have developed a sort of nothing, then everything sort of feel. I didnt expect to eat through my pads that quickly, i bought new pads in September. Im still chuffed with the brakes and the bike as a whole actually. Im looking forward to my first group ride this weekend, on something that should be better than what i usually ride.

Ive noticed that both the front and rear wheels are out of dish slightly, but in the same direction. They are both more left but not by too much. The bike still goes straight when i let go of my handlebars, and i havent noticed any difference with handling. Strange indeed. My dad may have not got the dishing correct when he fixed the bend in my wheel, but i dont know why the front wheel is not completely central. Its not bent or anything. Well, its only minor and doesnt effect the bike so its all good.

Got a red charge spoon and a few stickers on the way. Hopefully the saddle arrives by the weekend so i can use it on the ride, or i fear i may have a saw bottom by the end!

Pics, and new grips. Crappy HTC photos as per standard.
    IMAG0096_zpsecbd2764.jpg
    IMAG0095_zps6ddccb1d.jpg
    IMAG0094_zpsa6142a10.jpg
  • A bit of change made to the bike. I took the Maxxis Aspens off and put a Kenda Blue Groove up front, and a Kenda Nevegal at the back. They were fantastic in the huge amount of mud that i was riding in today. Was running both at 40 PSI which is really high but grip was really good in most cases. Had the Kendas lying in my shed and the tread looked promising for the mud. My dad took a bit of convincing though as they were his tyres.

Red charge spoon saddle added finally. Its a great saddle!

And i added a Maxxis sticker on either side of the downtube. (bit weird how i took Maxxis tyres off, and put a Maxxis sticker on)

Had a nice 3 hour long ride today. Loved it!!! Was much better than the crap i usually ride. The more i ride this bike the more i like it. Its brilliant!
    IMAG0101_zpsf9db8a28.jpg
    IMAG0098_zpsabeaed01.jpg
    IMAG0102_zps051ee8a0.jpg

I really need to get myself some dedicated cycling gear ! Converses grip the pedals really well but my feet were soaked.

IMAG0099_zpse2708c16.jpg
  • The Rookie
    Now that's how an MTB should look, muddy, keeping it real is where it's at.

Looking really good now GT.

I agree. Mud looks awesome on there. Im going to be a bit sad when i clean it. :D
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    edited December 2013
    Got my Raceface stickers through the post this morning. All cleaned up once again, and stickers fitted to the top tube and the headtube. My bottom bracket is on the way out unfortunately. The axle is wobbling slightly. Its about 2-3 mm at the pedal. Its done brilliantly. It came on my Arrowhead when i bought it almost 3 years ago, i rode it for all that time on the Arrowhead, and its been on here too, and its only just given up.

Pics.
    IMAG0106_zpsc679e38e.jpg
    IMAG0105_zps18fd0b17.jpg
    IMAG0104_zps5e49e082.jpg
    IMAG0103_zps8a4c1bc0.jpg
  • Love it, looks really aggressive! I have a funny feeling that something is upside down in the last picture though :P
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

xX Forever in our hearts mum Xx

I happened to add an extra photo at the same time you posted, so im assuming you looked at what is now the 2nd to last one. I cant see anything upside down.