TDF 2013 - Stage 2 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I think Adam Blythe was lanterne rouge for a couple of days in the Giro just gone.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169

Is this the first time that a GB rider has been the lanterne rouge in a GT?
    John Clarey was the 1968 Lanterne Rouge. The official Tour programme pack comes with a book of essays and one is about Clarey.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    afx237vi wrote:
    I think Adam Blythe was lanterne rouge for a couple of days in the Giro just gone.
    Yep, got it during the TT, kept it on cancelled stage, lost it on Tre Cime.

He didn't want it, which was a shame.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    afx237vi wrote:

Intrigued by my own question, I turned to Google. Turns out Tony Hoar actually won the overall for Blighty in the '55 tour - one of the first two Britons to actually finish it (presumably he would have been the second man to finish it, given his placing on GC...) How had I never picked up on this?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think Europcar sent Voeckler up the road when his Team mate was fading. With a AG2R being a french team up the road, especially at the Tour, then Europcar wanted to put a stop to that. French Teams have their own rivalry and today's antics was all part of that game.

I think Froomey said he wanted to be out front when they got to that tricky descent. He was smiling at the end of those words and (paraphrasing) Froomey was sticking a finger up the other GC rider's @$$€$.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:
    Yep, got it during the TT, kept it on cancelled stage, lost it on Tre Cime.

He didn't want it, which was a shame.

Yes, I remember him tweeting that he was disappointed to be in last place. I expect he got lost of messages of encouragement after that.
  • Compare and contrast. War hardened racer vs puppy dog

We saw towards the end of that stage how dogs like to live dangerously but know when to move and keep out of trouble...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    'Froomey', 'Froome Dog'... grow up.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Tommy V never fails to entertain, 'the French housewives' favourite'. Tommy and Red Rum are similar beasts.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Great stage I thought. Very deserving winner, and I enjoyed how he explained his thought process in the post race interview.

Froome's move showed he's in good shape but I think it was a silly move. If you're finishing on a hill like that and you can take a couple of seconds, do it. But if you can't gain anything it's just a waste of energy.
    It's not much energy. Probably worthwhile just to give the legs a small workout, keep them sharp.

Yep. Wiggins said in his book that there's a danger that the first week of the Tour can be too easy and result in de-training especially if you have a break before race. A 5 minute effort won't have made a lot of difference to someone who has trained for a 3 week race.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712

Great shot. The strain in that face...
  • powerbookboy
    powerbookboy Posts: 241
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Great stage I thought. Very deserving winner, and I enjoyed how he explained his thought process in the post race interview.

Froome's move showed he's in good shape but I think it was a silly move. If you're finishing on a hill like that and you can take a couple of seconds, do it. But if you can't gain anything it's just a waste of energy.
    It's not much energy. Probably worthwhile just to give the legs a small workout, keep them sharp.

Possibly. But it looked to me like an attempt to exert psychological dominance. If I was one of the other contenders, I'd have just thought "Excellent. Lets watch him crash on the descent" or "He tried this in the Vuelta last year, and I remember what happened".

Sometimes it's better not to show your hand when the pots not that big...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Sky are boring, except when they re not...then they re stupid

:roll:

I can imagine how much cream there would be all over this thread if Dirty Bertie had done it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    It's a funny thing; showing your cards before the big event. Hesjedal did this in the Giro and came a cropper and many moons ago, Lemond and Breukink attacked on a flat stage of the Tour to only get thumped by Indurain and Chiappucci in the Mountains. Then again, one of my favourite TDF stages is where Indurain attacked in the Ardennes with (the Prince of Darkness) Bruyneel stuck to his back wheel and this ended up with Big Mig thumping all others in the next day's time trial.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eItUnGSK2Q
    Not sure that attacking like this does much only to keep others from getting to cocky; that's unless you get some nice time gaps. ;)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ddraver wrote:

I can imagine how much cream there would be all over this thread if Dirty Bertie had done it...

That's true. If Bertie had done it, it would have been proclaimed a panache-athon. Froome's obviously got a lot of riding in his legs and he just wanted to stretch them. considering how tricky a couple of bends on the descent were it was a good call.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    ddraver wrote:

Nail on head sir.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    mfin wrote:

couldnt agree more, its not even like the bloke appears to have a big personality.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Unfortunately for Froome, he will never have panache while wearing those awful specs. 8)
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Yep. Wiggins said in his book that there's a danger that the first week of the Tour can be too easy and result in de-training especially if you have a break before race. A 5 minute effort won't have made a lot of difference to someone who has trained for a 3 week race.
    I remember Kerrison said a similar thing during the 2012 Giro where there wasn't a big GC stage until stage 14 so they encouraged Uran and Henao to contribute small amounts to Cav's leadout in the first week.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,011
    mfin wrote:

I agree 'Froomey' isn't very good, but my recollection is that Froome Dog was used (first?) by Ms Cound, I don't see what the problem is. I don't think it disrespectful (if that matters) and, in the light of the Fenton episodes, apposite and amusing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    "If you want loyalty, get a Froome Dog"

I hate that I can remember that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    ddraver wrote:
    "If you want loyalty, get a Froome Dog"

I hate that I can remember that...

You secretly love it. I bet her Twitter feed is the first link you open each day!
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I agree 'Froomey' isn't very good, but my recollection is that Froome Dog was used (first?) by Ms Cound, I don't see what the problem is. I don't think it disrespectful (if that matters) and, in the light of the Fenton episodes, apposite and amusing.

Oh god, dont get people started on calling him Fenton again. :roll:
  • above_the_cows
    I thought it was Froome Cat now?

Team-Sky-Tour-de-France-line-up_2961381-1_zps7d0ce412.jpg
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    The Kenyan.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    smithy21 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Oh god, dont get people started on calling him Fenton again. :roll:

"FEENNNNN-TOONNNNN, COME BACK!"

:D
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    The Kenyan.

The 'White' Kenyan if you're a French commentator.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    mfin wrote:

The other Sky riders gave him the Froome-dog nickname when he won a massive increase on a new contract with Sky thanks to his Vuelta performance - Froome-dog Millionaire, innit

He'll always be Fenton to me
  • above_the_cows
    In other news poor old Bernie's rotten luck continues. He is being tortured with the Sound of Music. Poor Bernie, this wouldn't happen if he was in France. :(
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Turfle wrote:
    The Kenyan.

The 'White' Kenyan if you're a French commentator.

Oh, I like The White Kenyan. It's just the right amount of offensive. My sister won an award for "Best Lady Footballer", and I still laugh every time I see it.

Paul Sherwen has yet to mention Froome without adding "Kenyan" or "grew up in South Africa".