Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,965
    Stunning helicopter shot of the mountains and coast
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Stunning helicopter shot of the mountains and coast

yeah looks ace, thats a new holiday destination then :)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Froome's back to the jawbones! :evil:

6143b393-93bf-404e-ad22-4471db4ee87c_zps8a1c736a.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    I usually have a week or two on Hvar, Croatia every year, this year I have not managed it, these amazing scenery shots of the Med coast, azure blue sea and Olive groved hillsides is not helping. :(
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    I don't know the rules, but surely there are liability issues which the team (or maybe the UCI or other) would have to sign off on. Broken limbs are one thing, but I'd at least hope brain injuries are treated differently.
    A physio explain the moral issues to me. It all comes down to one word - consent. Ultimately a human is responsible for their own body and can do what they like with it - drugs, smoking, booze etc. So if a rider wants to continue then the doc can't stop them. Their boss can stop them or the race organiser can DQ them - but a doctor/physio can't.

They will however write huge amounts of notes detailing exactly what they said to whom.

(The physio cited the example of the bloodgate scandal in rugby where neither the physio or doctor where professionally sanctioned because the player had consented to being cut. The physio got a two year ban from the RFU for cheating, but not for malpractice)

This is very interesting. In equestrian sports the doctors can stop you from carrying on if they think you have a concussion, this follows from a few years about 15 years ago now when there were multiple deaths. It is very annoying when you have a lazy eye and will never pass the basic 'follow the finger' test. You can get such issues written into your medical card (which you have to carry on your person while on the cross-country part) if you are an Event rider but the doctor can still refuse to let you continue. If the horse also falls then it is an immediate withdrawal, but the risks are different.

Right back to researching Corsican cuisine.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Sherwen got in a "put the hammer down" in the first 5 mins of commentary please cross that off your bingo card.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Liggett has picked Goss for today's stage :shock:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Oh, is Ligget still in cycling?..
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,873
    I've done the narrow gauge railway, but from Ajaccio to Bastia. Incredible interior........Corsica, that is.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Vino'sGhost
    ThomThom wrote:
    Oh, is Ligget still in cycling?..

i wonder if hes over the divorce yet :lol:
  • above_the_cows
    ATC's Corsican Delights

Pull up a chair next to the gently lapping blue waters of the Mediterranean, relax under the shade of an olive tree and fill your bellies with some of this...

Agneau Corse – A Corsican lamb dish slowly roasted with fresh rosemary, potatoes, and whole garlic cloves, this dish is suggested for those female cyclists wishing to escape the attentions of a certain Slovak.
    Civet de sanglier – This is a wild boar casserole and is highly revered as the signature dish of Corsica.  Wild boar, not to be confused with Phil Liggett who is a wild bore, is combined with carrots, chestnuts, fennel, garlic and onions. You may not want to draft someone who has had this for lunch while out on a ride.
    Veau aux olives – This veal with olives dish is one of the more popular stews of the island. Slowly cooked to maximize the flavor of the tender veal, slaughtered at an age just a little bit younger than Danny Van Poppel, it is mixed with herbs, olives, onions, and tomatoes.

Corsica is also famous for its charcuterie, some of the more well known cured meats are:

Prisutu - a smoked ham, beautifully cured in Paul Sherwen's suitcase of courage.
    Figatellu/fitonu - a liver sausage most famously made by Mevrouw Smeets.

Now for those who have a sweet tooth here are some desserts which in Corisca are mostly milk or egg based, here are some of the more well known:

Beignets - Chestnut flour doughnuts, sometimes, like Phil and Paul's commentary, stuffed with cheese. Chestnuts form an integral part of Corsican cooking due to the lack of flat ground for growing grain. Flour is therefore made from other more unusual things. Chestnuts are popular due to the abundance of chestnut trees on the island that date back to a Genovese decree in 1584 which ordered all landowners to plant four types of tree every year. A fig, an olive, a mulberry and a chestnut.
    Fiadone - This is a cheesecake using Corsican brocciu cheese, eggs and again chestnut flour, flavoured with lemon zest and eau de vie a form of fruit brandy that of course shares an etymology with the Scandinavian aquavit and the Gaelic whiskey.
    Flan a la farine de chataigne - Chestnuts again. This time a chestnut tart combining chestnuts, eggs and eau de vie.

Bon appetit :D
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    hmmm chestnuts...
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Sherwen got in a "put the hammer down" in the first 5 mins of commentary please cross that off your bingo card.

Interestingly I recently read Emile Zola's novel 'Germinal', which had in it "job of work", which is obviously a translation but it sounds like that is an old phrase, rather than PhilandPaulism.
  • Vino'sGhost
    this is the worst bird spotting lesson. wtf is going on ROFL
  • above_the_cows

Are they looking for a Mediterranean shag? Ah, the memories of many summers...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Have they mentioned the texan yet ?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550

Are they looking for a Mediterranean shag? Ah, the memories of many summers...

Yes. And Kirby is saying it in a Viz Fnar Fnar type way.

Just watched Orica's backstage pass. As the father of a 3yo I have a new favourite phrase "Ah Fruit!!"
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Sean Kelly told Tony Martin that his injuries were just "Flesh wounds" and he would be called a big sissy if he dropped out the tour. 8)
  • above_the_cows
    Cipo spotted in Corsica earlier, casting the "rules" asunder.

BOAh9vcCYAEwEdb_zps7c7145f9.jpg
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    MrTapir wrote:
    Interestingly I recently read Emile Zola's novel 'Germinal', which had in it "job of work", which is obviously a translation but it sounds like that is an old phrase, rather than PhilandPaulism.

The phrase "job of work" seems to be one of these new buzz words or phrases that has crept into modern business speak and is creeping into everyday use as well. "Stakeholder", "buy-in" and "take ownership of" are a few more idiotic phrases that mean absolutely nothing yet are used by stupid people to give the appearance of intelligence.*

*(I know this to be true because a number of our so-called politicians here in Ireland use these phrases with alarming regularity and are generally contained in lengthy sentences where a lot of words escape their mouths but nothing of substance is actually said.)

DD.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:

The phrase "job of work" seems to be one of these new buzz words or phrases that has crept into modern business speak and is creeping into everyday use as well. "Stakeholder", "buy-in" and "take ownership of" are a few more idiotic phrases that mean absolutely nothing yet are used by stupid people to give the appearance of intelligence.*

*(I know this to be true because a number of our so-called politicians here in Ireland use these phrases with alarming regularity and are generally contained in lengthy sentences where a lot of words escape their mouths but nothing of substance is actually said.)

DD.

yeah but my point was that Zola's novel was written in 1880s or something, so if the translation is accurate, there's an old French equivalent. Which is pertinent given the history of France/cycling etc. It seems the phrase has a more hallowed past than 'low hanging fruit' and that
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Cipo spotted in Corsica earlier, casting the "rules" asunder.

BOAh9vcCYAEwEdb_zps7c7145f9.jpg

For some reason your previous post, AtC, came to mind

Prisutu - a smoked ham, beautifully cured in Paul Sherwen's suitcase of courage.
    Figatellu/fitonu - a liver sausage most famously made by Mevrouw Smeets.

:lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,345
    Cav getting dropped.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    Yay, FDJ!
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    And there goes TV Tommy!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    FDJ on the front because Bouhanni is comfortable so they want to get rid of some other sprinters? Or because they missed the break and they're being told to show that they're in the race?!?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    FFS Argos-Shimano, why is Kittel totally alone?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,965
    So thhe TdF Gurning Championship starts :D
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Sherwin has managed to get his 'In the sport of professional cycling' in at least once so far today! :wink:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    FFS Argos-Shimano, why is Kittel totally alone?

Looking after Degenkolb as Kittel has had enough? There looked to be some Argos riders already off the back with Cavendish, so perhaps they're just no strong enough (as a team)?