TDF 2013 - Stage 2 *SPOILERS*

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,546
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Just realised that Danny Van Poppell will be in White today. Well done that Boy. Chapeau.

Inrng's preview

http://inrng.com/2013/06/tour-stage-2-preview/#more-15801

Lots of concern about today's descents with their tight twisty roads. Expect more crashes.

No news yet on Tony Martin.

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Really pleased for Van Poppell. I sense he will do the jersey justice as long as he can keep it. I also wonder if Greipel will be sanctioned for leaning on and causing the crash?

Anyway that was yesterday. I'd like to see Pip showcase the WC jersey today.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The problem with having 3 stages in Corsica is I now have to find some more interesting socio-political, historical and cultural information on Corsica for you. Today I will, in true Duffers style do food. I won't spoil you all now, I'll just leave you with a tasty tidbit of chestnut bread...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The problem with having 3 stages in Corsica is I now have to find some more interesting socio-political, historical and cultural information on Corsica for you. Today I will, in true Duffers style do food. I won't spoil you all now, I'll just leave you with a tasty tidbit of chestnut bread...

Just food or wine and food? Sherwen mentioned Corsican wine yesterday.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Looking at the route profile, I suspect the sprinters will struggle. It would seem to suit Sagan or Gilbert more, although I have no idea what form Gilbert has at the moment. I expect the pressure to be put on quite early to drop the likes of Cavendish and Griepel.

Should be a good day - looking forward to it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Just food or wine and food? Sherwen mentioned Corsican wine yesterday.

Best known wine produced on the Island:
    http://www.terroir-france.com/region/co ... c_ui9jheaw

Food: How about some pate? Blackbird pate to be precise.
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=x3t2 ... ca&f=false

I somehow suspect that these will be more to people's taste:
    http://www.corseboutique.fr/catid/terri ... se-48.html
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712

You can't tire of hearing the approximate dimensions of passing buildings.
  • TMR
    Where's Tusher? I miss her :cry:
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    RideOnTime wrote:

You can't tire of hearing the approximate dimensions of passing buildings.

This is one of the main reasons I will miss Harmon big time. He has an indepth knowledge of architectural history (particularly medivial military) that added nice anecdotes / insights to the race guide blurb that Sherwan and Kirby parrot directly.
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    Read on twitter that Tony Martin will start today, hope that's correct SO sorry for him.
  • TMR
    Pro Cyclists are insanely hard. I'm in awe TBH.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,881
    Pro Cyclists are insanely hard. I'm in awe TBH.

Yes. But frequently they should be stopped from riding by the medics, whether that's their own team doctors or the race doctors.

Cuts and bruises are one thing but if the interview with Cav is correct and Martin lost consciousness twice yesterday then there is no way he should be allowed to race today.

There's a fine line between hard and stupid.

It's only a f**king bike race.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Damaged lung and a 2" deep (how thick are his arms???) gash on his elbow. That's a lot of injury to deal with for another 3 week's riding.
  • TMR
    Yes. But frequently they should be stopped from riding by the medics, whether that's their own team doctors or the race doctors.

Cuts and bruises are one thing but if the interview with Cav is correct and Martin lost consciousness twice yesterday then there is no way he should be allowed to race today.

There's a fine line between hard and stupid.

It's only a f**king bike race.

No argument from me.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    "Tony wants to go on and from a medical point of view there is nothing wrong otherwise we would not allow it,' said (team doctor Helge) Riepenhof. 'Tony was able to sleep well. The elbow does not hinder him so much. Worse were the bruises on his back ', explained Martin's manager Jörg Werner"

http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_82380.htm
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Always worrying when you hear about riders (or any sportsmen) carrying on after a concussion. Hope the OPQS doctors haven't been pressured to let him carry on.

Not sure what to expect from today's stage. Maybe some GC action, maybe if Ryder is in his early Giro frame of mind he could try and mix things up. Most likely a slightly reduced field bunch sprint, with the likes of Sagan, Degenkolb, maybe even Greipel and Cav. The last little climb might be where the sprinters are lost.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Alan A wrote:
    Just realised that Danny Van Poppell will be in White today. Well done that Boy. Chapeau.

Inrng's preview

Lots of concern about today's descents with their tight twisty roads. Expect more crashes.

Are Danny van Poppell and Boy van Poppell two different people or the same person? Or is he called Danny Boy van Poppell (Irish descent)?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Turfle wrote:
    Always worrying when you hear about riders (or any sportsmen) carrying on after a concussion. Hope the OPQS doctors haven't been pressured to let him carry on.
    Doctors can never stop a rider from continuing - they don't have that right. No more than they can force a rider not to take drugs. They can only advise the rider and/or the DS and let them make the decision.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I don't know the rules, but surely there are liability issues which the team (or maybe the UCI or other) would have to sign off on. Broken limbs are one thing, but I'd at least hope brain injuries are treated differently.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    MrTapir wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

Inrng's preview

Are Danny van Poppell and Boy van Poppell two different people or the same person? Or is he called Danny Boy van Poppell (Irish descent)?

They're brothers and sons of the DS JP van Poppel
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I also wonder if Greipel will be sanctioned for leaning on and causing the crash?

Doubt it - it's become cycling law "You stop when the Gorilla is tired" :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Turfle wrote:
    I don't know the rules, but surely there are liability issues which the team (or maybe the UCI or other) would have to sign off on. Broken limbs are one thing, but I'd at least hope brain injuries are treated differently.
    A physio explain the moral issues to me. It all comes down to one word - consent. Ultimately a human is responsible for their own body and can do what they like with it - drugs, smoking, booze etc. So if a rider wants to continue then the doc can't stop them. Their boss can stop them or the race organiser can DQ them - but a doctor/physio can't.

They will however write huge amounts of notes detailing exactly what they said to whom.

(The physio cited the example of the bloodgate scandal in rugby where neither the physio or doctor where professionally sanctioned because the player had consented to being cut. The physio got a two year ban from the RFU for cheating, but not for malpractice)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    When all the riders are on the same time what decides the positions on GC? I thought it was the fractional second splits in the time trials and then the points classification, but I note Cav is much lower on GC than in the points jersey.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    TheBigBean wrote:
    When all the riders are on the same time what decides the positions on GC? I thought it was the fractional second splits in the time trials and then the points classification, but I note Cav is much lower on GC than in the points jersey.

That'll be because he picked up some intermediate sprint points yesterday. When riders are tied for time, GC positions depend on cumulative stage placements.

"In the event of a tie in the general ranking, the hundredth of a second recorded by the timekeepers during the individual time trial stages will be included in the total times in order to decide the overall winner and who takes the yellow jersey. If a tie should still result from this, then the places achieved for each stage are added up and, as a last resort, the place obtained in the final stage is counted."
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758

Could pop across the Strait for some "casu marzu", goes well with your bread.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,205
    All 198 riders start.

Tony Martin: chapeau. But you should have stayed in bed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,205
    Blimey, I'm amazed there aren't any crashes yet in the neutralised section pre start. Road furniture all over the place.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    good job tony lets hope he doesnt come down the mountain in squares.

BTW did anyone see the interview with the sheepish bus driver??? poor bloke, day one on the job.
  • Vino'sGhost
    i its great to see the start of the race and the break forming
  • Vino'sGhost
    is that jens in the break?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    They didn't ask the bus driver why they were 3 hours late though did they!

Tony M is either mad, or not as badly injured as initially thought.