Tour de France 2013 - Race Chat

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Corsica will likely be a crash fest.

(Currently chomping on blueberry pancakes with one hand and getting syrup on my phone)

I'm expecting high attrition generally.

Any good route analysis I missed? ?

Told ya

Predicting that there will be crashes in the early stages of the Tour is like predicting some members of a Stag Do might get drunk.

And I had pancakes, blueberrys and syrup for breakfast too, so you can stick that up your ass.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    he he

Women fans of pro cycling - UNITE :)

Word sister! 8)
    ATC - I'm finding that Sky team bonding pic of yours mightily disturbing

OK, well you won't want to look at the one they snapped on the beach today then...

b8e7e23d-e0fd-43b3-af0c-1fd1f25edd8d_zpsc98541b2.jpg
    Dear god that is terrifying!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    Corsica will likely be a crash fest.

(Currently chomping on blueberry pancakes with one hand and getting syrup on my phone)

I'm expecting high attrition generally.

Any good route analysis I missed? ?

Told ya

Predicting that there will be crashes in the early stages of the Tour is like predicting some members of a Stag Do might get drunk.

+100 no mystic meg points for Rich there at all
  • Paul 8v
    nweststeyn wrote:
    A wee plea to you all for over the next 3 weeks. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING THE 'QUOTE' BUTTON WHEN RESPONDING TO FRENCHFIGHTER.

Thanks.

Bit harsh, even if you don't agree with what he says you'll miss out on all his photos which is your loss :roll:
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Apparently Walsh has written a bit of a 'shady' piece about Sky in todays Times (from what I gather on Twitter) - I refuse to pay to look at it online and I can't be a*sed to walk to the shop. If somebody has read the article - please provide a little insight!
  • RichN95.
    Apparently Walsh has written a bit of a 'shady' piece about Sky in todays Times (from what I gather on Twitter) - I refuse to pay to look at it online and I can't be a*sed to walk to the shop. If somebody has read the article - please provide a little insight!
    They must have read a different report to the one that was in the print version then.

Summary:

Fisrt half is a report on the stage - bus, Kittel etc
    Then he mentions that it's his first time at the race since 2004 and how things have changed (especially with regard to Armstrong), but also mentions the Virenque Festina advert in the racebook.
    Then most of the rest is about a book about doping at Rabobank and how Leinders was at Sky. But then it's supportive of Sky - "Sky has tried to learn from its mistake and it is seen with teams such as Argos Shimano, Garmin and others as leaders in a sport that is desperately to regain lost credibility"
    It finishes with Brailsford believing that doped wins are worthless and Kerrison thinking that Porte is in his best ever form.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    I know it's just PR guff from Kerrison, but does he ever think a rider isn't in his best ever form?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    I know it's just PR guff from Kerrison, but does he ever think a rider isn't in his best ever form?
    He probably thinks that about the ones that aren't on the team.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:
    They must have read a different report to the one that was in the print version then.

Summary:

Fisrt half is a report on the stage - bus, Kittel etc
    Then he mentions that it's his first time at the race since 2004 and how things have changed (especially with regard to Armstrong), but also mentions the Virenque Festina advert in the racebook.
    Then most of the rest is about a book about doping at Rabobank and how Leinders was at Sky. But then it's supportive of Sky - "Sky has tried to learn from its mistake and it is seen with teams such as Argos Shimano, Garmin and others as leaders in a sport that is desperately to regain lost credibility"
    It finishes with Brailsford believing that doped wins are worthless and Kerrison thinking that Porte is in his best ever form.

Cheers Rich!
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Did my eyes deceive me, or is Sergey Lagutin NOT the Uzbek champion this year?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tall.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    tall.jpg

I know Sammy D is titchy, but that bloke is a monster- who is he?
  • RichN95.
    andytee87 wrote:
    He is a seven foot Belgian basketball player called Tomas Van Den Spiegel

(I looked this up - I know sod all about basketball)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    That is disturbing - his head is the same size as Dumoulin's torso!
  • frenchfighter
    Looks like he is taking a photo of himself...
    tumblr_mp2n1pkyOF1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andytee87
    RichN95 wrote:
    andytee87 wrote:
    He is a seven foot Belgian basketball player called Tomas Van Den Spiegel

(I looked this up - I know sod all about basketball)

Good work! Appreciate the lack of lmgtfy.com as well- wouldn't have known where to start

Large chap
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    andytee87 wrote:
    tall.jpg

He could take out the finish gantry.

Oh, no need.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    tall.jpg

Oh my actual god! I'm the same size as Sammy Windmill. That tall basketball bloke is utterly terrifying. :shock:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RideOnTime
    I wonder how much benefit Argos get from free advertising from Argos-Shimano.
    I think their red swish logo would look great on a team Argos-Argos.
  • RideOnTime
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 251791.htm

Its made me want to buy fishing reels...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Poor G....

owenslotTheTimes
    @owenslot
    Just watched Geraint Thomas attempt to swing his leg over his bike. Took two attempts and eventually required assistance. V painful
    11:04 a.m. Mon, Jul 1

:(
  • frenchfighter
    Scary
    le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130630-174719-827.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andytee87
    Scary
    le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130630-174719-827.jpg

JV....Giving hope to tramps everywhere that with some branded team clothes no door remains closed
  • frenchfighter
    These legs are amazing
    tumblr_mp8v0gpr7J1sxnem3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mp5mjdpKcj1qieo6qo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mp7buxetvP1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    tall.jpg

Oh my actual god! I'm the same size as Sammy Windmill. That tall basketball bloke is utterly terrifying. :shock:
    Looks a bit like the Little Britain sketch "Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune"
  • Paul 8v
    These legs are amazing
    tumblr_mp8v0gpr7J1sxnem3o1_1280.jpg
    Leg envy at those beasts!
  • frenchfighter
    orica.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    go+head.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Afternoon All,

So, I'm taking myself on a solo road trip to watch the third week. Heading to Ventoux on Saturday, then to Alpe D'Huez, then to Paris for the following Sunday. I've got a hotel and a vague plan for Paris and have found plenty of online advice about the carnage of Alpe D'Huez on race day (going to try to ride it the day before). However, I have found little about the logistics of Mt Ventoux regarding riding the hill and watching the race. Anyone got any tips? Anyone else have similar plans to me?

Cheers,
    Andy
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Forehead wrote:
    Afternoon All,

So, I'm taking myself on a solo road trip to watch the third week. Heading to Ventoux on Saturday, then to Alpe D'Huez, then to Paris for the following Sunday. I've got a hotel and a vague plan for Paris and have found plenty of online advice about the carnage of Alpe D'Huez on race day (going to try to ride it the day before). However, I have found little about the logistics of Mt Ventoux regarding riding the hill and watching the race. Anyone got any tips? Anyone else have similar plans to me?

Cheers,
    Andy

ventoux? take enough water. and times by 50% your expectations of time.
    enjoy :)