Tour de France 2013 - Race Chat

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    ITV have a preview podcast with the usual suspects - http://downloads.itv.com/podcasttdf.xml. Don't know if it's interesting though - Virgin are doing their best to prove yet again that the telegraph was not only the original internet, but had higher bandwidth...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    mfin wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:
    You'll either love or hate this latest offering from the creatives at Rapha. Either way the poem will make you puke....

:roll:
    http://www.rapha.cc/salute/?cm_mmc=emai ... g-_-salute

As soon as you gave away it was a poem it was a guarantee it was going to be awful.

What kind of people write poems like that? don't they realise the more inspirational they try to make it the more it sounds like complete and gutter guff. So much sh1te like this in TV advertising nowadays too.

Vive le Sky , vive le Rapha, vive le Tour! I love this stuff. Cycling is the zenith of romance and pretention in sport. Let's face it you couldn't pull this stuff off with darts.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Not been on here for a while due to Honeymoon - but just a quick message to say I've now changed the title to 'Race Chat' instead of 'pre-race chat' as we are only a matter of hours away now...
  • Yellow Peril
    Not been on here for a while due to Honeymoon - but just a quick message to say I've now changed the title to 'Race Chat' instead of 'pre-race chat' as we are only a matter of hours away now...

Good to have you back LL congratulations on your nuptials and well timed!
    @JaunePeril

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

Good to have you back LL congratulations on your nuptials and well timed!

Cheers Fella! I Should have been in Corsica this weekend but not so...long story but say no more. Glad to be back though!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Vive le Sky , vive le Rapha, vive le Tour! I love this stuff. Cycling is the zenith of romance and pretention in sport. Let's face it you couldn't pull this stuff off with darts.

Na, pretentious poems would probably work better with darts, cos it would be tongue in cheek!

(I hope you weren't implying Darts is a lesser sport, as it's a true spectacle and the athletes are simply incredible too. Perhaps Rapha should do a darts clothing range too thinking about it.)
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    A wee plea to you all for over the next 3 weeks. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING THE 'QUOTE' BUTTON WHEN RESPONDING TO FRENCHFIGHTER.

Thanks.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nweststeyn wrote:
    A wee plea to you all for over the next 3 weeks. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING THE 'QUOTE' BUTTON WHEN RESPONDING TO FRENCHFIGHTER.

Thanks.

qu'est ce que c'est que ca
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    [
    Let's face it you couldn't pull this stuff off with darts.

I think you do the late great Sid Waddell a great disservice:

"If we'd had Phil Taylor at Hastings against the Normans, they'd have gone home."

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer … [Eric] Bristow's only 27."

"Look at the man go: it's like trying to stop a water buffalo with a pea-shooter."

"There was less noise when Pompeii was swamped in lava! Absolute pandemonium here! Barmaids are frozen like Greek statues watching! No beer's been served! Everybody's eyes [are] absolutely hooked on that board."

"You could hear a blob of vinegar drop on a chip in this hall."
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    nweststeyn wrote:

Thanks.
    Seriously, what a knobbish thing to post. I shall quote whoever and whatever I like. Feel free to block me as well.
  • Yellow Peril
    oneof1982 wrote:
    [

"If we'd had Phil Taylor at Hastings against the Normans, they'd have gone home."

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer … [Eric] Bristow's only 27."

"Look at the man go: it's like trying to stop a water buffalo with a pea-shooter."

"There was less noise when Pompeii was swamped in lava! Absolute pandemonium here! Barmaids are frozen like Greek statues watching! No beer's been served! Everybody's eyes [are] absolutely hooked on that board."

Now that is priceless!
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril

Iconic. I just had goosebumps eating my Alpen!
    @JaunePeril

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ^What memories!

I need that as a ring tone.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    oneof1982 wrote:
    [

"There's only one word to describe that: magic darts"
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I can't believe they have Richard Virenque as one of the coaches on "The Ride" that's on Eurosport at the moment
  • Macaloon
    Eurosport now showing highlights of 2012 tour Champs stage. Get your Dave Harmon fix here.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    One other thing to look forward to. I think on one MTF, maybe Ventoux, Sagan will try and hang onto to the climbers all the way to the finish.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I am so excited for the TdF it's crazy! A 5 year old on Christmas morning has nothing on me :wink:

I know I don't have to express what this race means to me because I'm sure each of you feels the magic as well. I cannot wait for the next 3 weeks! I really hope this is a great Edition of the TdF. This is such a beautiful, emotional, incredible race - the anticipation is killing me!

Vive la Tour! Vous faites mon coeur chanter avec joie! :mrgreen:
  • TMR
    nweststeyn wrote:

Thanks.

Give over will you. Leicester Lad has made a great thread, so let's not derail it with this sort of childish negativity. If Frenchie irritates you so much then just block him, but please keep the thread clean and positive.
  • Just sitting with my son watching In The Night Garden before his morning nap. Then it's time. So excited.
  • Macaloon
    Last 3k. All together now. All aboard the WiggoTrain.

xcpukx.jpg
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    Summer planned to have TdF off work so I could watch it.... now I've got to go to Cuba for 4 weeks- nightmare. Will be able to watch the first week but then going to be relying on the Pro Race spoilers as its basically dial up internet.

Do me proud guys, please
  • RideOnTime
    oooooooooo 11.00-4.30 ITV4 and then again 7.00-8.00.

Never been to Corsica.
    Lots of bad bends I've heard.
  • RideOnTime
    I'm thinking the odds on Froome are just too short.
    There's so much that can go wrong.
    He's got all these bends to negotiate for a start off.
    Cadel has gone out to 40/1 - worth a little punt I would of thought.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    andytee87 wrote:
    Summer planned to have TdF off work so I could watch it.... now I've got to go to Cuba for 4 weeks- nightmare. Will be able to watch the first week but then going to be relying on the Pro Race spoilers as its basically dial up internet.

Do me proud guys, please

Ooo are you Edward Snowden? :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TMR
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I'm thinking the odds on Froome are just too short.
    There's so much that can go wrong.
    He's got all these bends to negotiate for a start off.
    Cadel has gone out to 40/1 - worth a little punt I would have thought.

TBH, I'd wager on TJVG before Cadel...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Give over will you. Leicester Lad has made a great thread, so let's not derail it with this sort of childish negativity. If Frenchie irritates you so much then just block him, but please keep the thread clean and positive.

Clean and positive? Is this an obscure Contador reference? :wink:
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    ThomThom wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    Are young Danes less likely than before to go with Riis? I know Juul-Jensen went there, but others like Lasse Norman Hansen and Sebastian Lander have notably gone elsewhere. Not a huge sample size, but interesting I think.

They have definitely wised up. Or, some have.. Lander moving BMC is pretty much a failure in the making if you ask me..

Take away the disgraceful Christina Watches- Onfone, a team that destroyed the talented Rasmus Guldhammer's career because the focus was solely on doping convicted riders, there are great deal of continental teams like Blue Water, Cult-Energy and Concordia that form and prepare these riders before the next step up the ladder. They are, especially Michael Skelde, Team Cult Energy, the ones who really should be applauded. Sadly, they don't. Not enough at least.

It seems like it's not as huge to get offered a neo-contract from Riis as it used to be. I mean, the fact that Saxo's development team, Ceramica Flaminia, has precisely 0 Danish riders tells everything about how little they care. And the doping cases have obviously also had an effect..

Maybe the Tour selection was a sign that Saxo won't be Danish for much longer?

Andrew Hood ‏@EuroHoody 34m
    L'Equipe reporting Riis could sell team license to Tinkoff; Sporten.DK reported that Tinkoff confirmed post-TDF press conference
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Corsica will likely be a crash fest.

(Currently chomping on blueberry pancakes with one hand and getting syrup on my phone)

I'm expecting high attrition generally.

Any good route analysis I missed? ?

Told ya