Dauphine Stage 8 SPOILER

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Will there be a cyclists' guard of honour? And are you taking your bike on honeymoon? :wink:
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Have a good one LL.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    LL, if you're grumpy now then I dread to think what you'll be like once you get married :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    LL, if you're grumpy now then I dread to think what you'll be like once you get married :wink:

Ha, I think the sense of relief should keep me happy for at least an hour or so.
    Will there be a cyclists' guard of honour? And are you taking your bike on honeymoon?

No guard of Honour - other than clubmates (who are not coming) I have virtually no friends who ride bikes. Bike isn't allowed on honeymoon, but part of honeymoon does include watching the start of the TDF in Corsica :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ^YAWN

Saying negative stuff about SKY comes from the fact they win in such a unentertaining manor ... Do they care, not a jot ... Should you? Likely as it's your time they are wasting watching the stages ...
    Out of interest, what would you consider an entertaining way of contesting a stage race GC?
    I refer the honourable gentleman to the Tour de Suisse.
    The stage in Switzerland was won by someone who attacked inside the last kilometre at which time there were about 30 riders in the front group. What's so special about that?

Not special Rich, but vaguely more entertaining than watching a bunch of guys roll up a hill tapping out a tempo and crossing the line together. Well, for some of us anyway.
    Which didn't happen on a single stage of this race

So De Marchi escaped because nobody gave a Sh*t but what happened behind was completely rehearsed. Everybody knew exactly what was going to happen. I predicted the Froome/Porte 1/2 before the race.

Ps. Are you going to be a tool and tell me this was a good race? Because dd we both no it wasn't no matter how much you enjoyed the end result.

I can't watch it I can only read about it - you ll notice I ve commented little on what was happening on the road, only afterwards. Funny how when I can only read about it it sounds a lot more exciting eh? One might almost think thats why races of old are remembered so fondly...

I said wha I thought of it - 2 people could have won it and one of them ballsed up the TT, same reason the Giro was boring. This is Sport (and particularly cycling sport) unfortunately, it's boring more often than not, which is why the good times are so special

Oh and good luck and that ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    The issue is - and its not Skys fault - a lot of these races are like watching someone win a 24 hour grand prix 23 hours before the finish. It's dull, predictable and a procession. Other teams need to sort their sh*t out becuase otherwise its gunna be a very dull year.

Part of the, perceived, problem may actually be a good thing. Are the lack of huge attacks in the mountains down to a big decline in the use of PEDs? Perhaps the anti doping system is having an effect.

On the big cols, now, It is more of a war of attrition. Everyone is at or near there limit, and most of the top guys are at a similar level, so the win goes to who can sustain the pace. The interest, for me, comes from watching who will be the next to drop off the back through lack of form, or fatigue or guts.

I think if we want the, so called, exciting days of past GTs we need the guys back on the juice.
  • Richmond Racer
    I cant deny that dominance in sport by an individual or a team that goes on for years, is boring - it is. Personally I cant be doing with watching womens tennis finals involving - as the majors invariably do - Serena Williams, for example. But thats also an indictment on the state of womens tennis and the level of her competition.

However, got to agree with ddraver's point. There's an awful lot of revisionism that goes on with a lot of cycling fans in terms of how interesting races in the past have been. Ah, rose-tinted glasses and the effects of time on memory. In fact, you only have to take a look at comments over races over the last year that havent had Sky in the picture, to see that many fans are very picky indeed over races that we find interesting or enjoyable. Very few get an overwelming thumbs up, whether Sky have been in control or not.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    mike6 wrote:
    The issue is - and its not Skys fault - a lot of these races are like watching someone win a 24 hour grand prix 23 hours before the finish. It's dull, predictable and a procession. Other teams need to sort their sh*t out becuase otherwise its gunna be a very dull year.

Part of the, perceived, problem may actually be a good thing. Are the lack of huge attacks in the mountains down to a big decline in the use of PEDs? Perhaps the anti doping system is having an effect.

On the big cols, now, It is more of a war of attrition. Everyone is at or near there limit, and most of the top guys are at a similar level, so the win goes to who can sustain the pace. The interest, for me, comes from watching who will be the next to drop off the back through lack of form, or fatigue or guts.

I think if we want the, so called, exciting days of past GTs we need the guys back on the juice.

No there have been some cracking grand tours in recent years, since doping was at least reduced. This Dauphine was boring because Sky were dominant and because Sky adopt a rather stifling tactic. Even when the race was wrapped up they still wouldn't really open up the last stage. I find myself in agreement with Frenchie most of the time on this - I don't really care who wins but I want a proper battle and for the winner to show some elan.

Thankfully Contador at least has shown signs that he has decent legs (if he can sort his TT out), there are one or two possible surprise packages like Quintana and I suspect Froome will not win the Tour by much.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Love this shot:
    CORVOS_00021474-024-2.jpg
    Great shot that - the angles of the riders, the narrow road with gravel and a big drop, the snow on the mountains
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Baby faced killer
    dauphine13-st8-Porte---Froome.jpg
    Was pretty funny watching Porte so small behind Froome all the way up that climb.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    So Froome never breaths or looks in Pain does he? :D

(not directed at anyone here)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Où était contador, clairement pas dans la course
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • mike6
    mike6 wrote:

No there have been some cracking grand tours in recent years, since doping was at least reduced. This Dauphine was boring because Sky were dominant and because Sky adopt a rather stifling tactic. Even when the race was wrapped up they still wouldn't really open up the last stage. I find myself in agreement with Frenchie most of the time on this - I don't really care who wins but I want a proper battle and for the winner to show some elan.

Thankfully Contador at least has shown signs that he has decent legs (if he can sort his TT out), there are one or two possible surprise packages like Quintana and I suspect Froome will not win the Tour by much.

Hi Tom. Dont know what you mean by a proper battle, or Sky's stifling tactics? Surely If you want to win a stage, or a race, and you have the legs, you attack.? If the peloton or the breakaway are moving too quickly for you, then you cant.
    I am not a Sky fanboi, but from what I have seen over the last three years If other teams are not prepared to stamp there tactics on a race you cant really blame Sky for taking up the challenge if there guys are strong enough to do it.

Froome winning the Tour is very much open to question, as far as I am concerned, there are a lot of good riders keeping there powder dry. Also, to paraphrase the old race director "To win the Tour you need legs and head" and lets face it, some luck.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Love this shot:

Looks like a bunch of moto riders warming up their tyres before a race.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    Love this shot:

Looks like a bunch of moto riders warming up their tyres before a race.

I keep seeing that photo and think of something like this:

Penguins_zpsa96643a2.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited June 2013
    RichN95 wrote:
    Out of interest, what would you consider an entertaining way of contesting a stage race GC?
    No Radio's or Power meters or any other crap..
    Give them a bike and make someone Captain and then wave the flag to start and hope they finish.

Then you might see a lot more of riders who think they have won because someone else couldn't count.

Edit
    mike6 wrote:
    Also, to paraphrase the old race director "To win the Tour you need legs and head" and lets face it, some luck.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • frenchfighter
    Baby faced killer
    dauphine13-st8-Porte---Froome.jpg
    Was pretty funny watching Porte so small behind Froome all the way up that climb.

Why does Froome have his ring on the wrong finger? Is that a SA thing?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

Perhaps, only half way there as she hasn't got one through his nose yet :?: :?:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Richmond Racer
    deejay wrote:

Perhaps, only half way there as she hasn't got one through his nose yet :?: :?:

Oooof :shock:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I think it's the appropriate finger to show Michelle...
  • deejay wrote:
    Then you might see a lot more of riders who think they have won because someone else couldn't count.

Admittedly, the Betancur "victory" amused me greatly, but surely the joke will wear thin eventually. Randoms winning cos everybody else forgot about them doesn't seem like a solid basis upon which to build a sport.
  • mike6
    deejay wrote:

Admittedly, the Betancur "victory" amused me greatly, but surely the joke will wear thin eventually. Randoms winning cos everybody else forgot about them doesn't seem like a solid basis upon which to build a sport.

Quite. Surely an exciting race is where the rider who deserves to win actually wins. Not the guy who sneaked away through a village and no one noticed.
    The technology involved has little to do with the racing. A power meter will tell you how much power you are currently producing. If the guy nesxt to you jumps away, and you are at your maximum, there is nothing a power meter can do to help you. I have never used one but I still know when I am at my limit.
    Getting rid of radios might help. The riders could still be hooked up to a race radio, for safety info only.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    mike6 wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Quite. Surely an exciting race is where the rider who deserves to win actually wins. Not the guy who sneaked away through a village and no one noticed.

I don't get the logic by which the tactically astute rider doesn't deserve his win.

You never watched American Flyers?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    GeraintThomas_2957223_zpse69a30a4.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    “It was the kind of day that I’d been waiting for. The finish was pretty good for me, and we wanted to have control of the stage all day. After the Col de Vars, I had some bad luck, because during the only moment that I fell behind what has been the favorites’ group for that last eight days – in order to get rid of my rain jacket – I had a bad crash. I was able to get back up, I re-joined the group and I felt really good on the final climb.”

Alberto had been considering going for the win today. “I was thinking about trying for the stage win, because today, with the rain, it was much easier to breathe. But we saw that Rogers was in difficulty, and I thought that it was better to give him a hand and try to hold on to his podium place. In the end, he didn’t have a good day, but I’m happy because I fell very well. Where might I have finished today? I don’t know. I can’t know that, but I’m very happy with the way I feel.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I don't get the logic by which the tactically astute rider doesn't deserve his win.

You never watched American Flyers?

Yep, just a pity Frank and Andy hadn't too. With Frank mimicking Marcus's death-defying masculinity (and beautifully maintained 'stache) plus Andy demonstrating David's lack of regard for his brother's welfare, I'm pretty sure we'd have seen the elder Schleck chaperoning his yellow-clad sibling across the Champs in 2011.

I did have to Wiki, honestly.

For me, there's a reasonable chance you've been tactically astute to get into the break, and you deserve some payback once in a while. But I can't imagine wins that result from the pack's collective discalculia are really going to inspire long-term interest in the sport. Saying that bingo and the lottery seem quite popular.
  • frenchfighter
    Total prize money
    tumblr_mo51xg0kPs1ropreyo1_500.png

tumblr_mo5309tOnI1s43lueo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Total prize money
    tumblr_mo51xg0kPs1ropreyo1_500.png

tumblr_mo5309tOnI1s43lueo1_1280.jpg
    Quite like the bottom image for a wallpaper, is there a high res version anywhere in the correct format, if I copy this one I lose the riders on either end.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • frenchfighter
    I only saw it in this size. If I find the original hi-res I will post up. For now, maybe find one here:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12901393
    Contador is the Greatest
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I only saw it in this size. If I find the original hi-res I will post up. For now, maybe find one here:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12901393
    Thanks, I was using one from there before, prefer this one though.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR