Dauphine Stage 8 SPOILER

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Yep.
    Hello TWH, how are you doing today.

Just enjoyed a roast chicken cooked to absolute perfection on the BBQ and served with a delicious homemade pesto and jersey royal potatoes.

Never had pesto with chicken before. May be one to try.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Yep.

Glad you agree. :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    There is a big difference in being able to podium and being able to ride into the top 10. In normal circumstances also, you dont go from crushing some people to being crushed by them the next year.

Ummm? Surely you do if you're a protected rider versus when you have to ride as a domestique?

By that logic Frenchie if you don't come into the sport and immediately start winning somehow you are suspect? Really? That is so ridiculous and doesn't take consideration of the countless variables that go into winning, some of which are not even in the control of the rider or the team such as the form of your opponents.

Obviously not. Not something I would say and not something I said above.

Then what are you saying with talking about normal circumstances, posting the times and the rolly eye emoticons? :roll: :roll: :roll:
    You're wasting your time ATC. Can't reason with someone like him. I'm really quite enjoying see Sky doing so well solely because it apparently winds him up so much. Also will be following an "ABC" policy watching the Tour ("Anyone But Contador") for similar reasons :D
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    adr82 wrote:
    You're wasting your time ATC. Can't reason with someone like him. I'm really quite enjoying see Sky doing so well solely because it apparently winds him up so much. Also will be following an "ABC" policy watching the Tour ("Anyone But Contador") for similar reasons :D

You are right. Normally I resist getting dragged in but I was waiting for the sun to come out before going out for a ride. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    'tis a great insight into the mind of a trader isnt it. Enjoy your ride, where you off to?
    6 days to go
    6 days to go
    6 days to go
    6 days to go
    6 days to go
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited June 2013
    'mare
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I don't see anything particularly intriguing in the comparison of the two years results. As Above The Cows points out It's just a case of "the wasted" (the domestiques) becoming "the wasters" (the protected riders)

Little Pete did a "job of work" today and when he'd done his turn he does what all spent riders do and just pedal home. I think he might have got a shot at a TdF placeon the back of this week. G was strong as well, Porte looked to be chewing the stem when Froome set off in the last 2km. Really pleased for De Marchi he was pedalling squares with a km to go.

I definiotely think we'd have seen more of AC had he not been loyal to Rogers, disappointed in Valverde but we know like all Bond villains he'll be back to form for the TdF.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:
    'Enjoy your ride, where you off to?

I just went around the Ronde Hoep Polder, and managed to draft an ice cream van along the dyke for part of the way home which was a godsend as there was a headwind. :D

Now after me "I'm Popeye the sailor man..."
  • Yellow Peril
    What a damp squib this race was.

Definitely lacked something. Last year was far more hotly contested. Perhaps if Cadel/Nibs hadn't done the Giro....
    @JaunePeril

• ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    'Enjoy your ride, where you off to?

I just went around the Ronde Hoep Polder, and managed to draft an ice cream van along the dyke for part of the way home which was a godsend as there was a headwind. :D

Now after me "I'm Popeye the sailor man..."

Nice, do it again this time next week and I ll wave to you from the plane... ;)

@LL - definitely a case of there only being 2 winners, one of which then has an off day, bit like the Giro really...
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    What a damp squib this race was.

Definitely lacked something. Last year was far more hotly contested. Perhaps if Cadel/Nibs hadn't done the Giro....

Well of course it was, a Sky rider won it.

All this Sky bashing on here really is becoming tedious and juvenile. Unless other teams raise there game Sky will keep winning the big races. Many of the other teams have huge budgets, they should use them more wisely.
    Bad mouthing Sky as dopers, or boring or, well, er, I just don't like them, wont change things.

As has been said before......ABC.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    I'm not in the least bit anti-Sky but that was definitely a poor race because, well, it wasn't a race, it was a procession. And it's all well and good suggesting that other teams raise their game but when you have someone as dominant as Froome is at the moment, what do you suggest they do?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Rondje Ronde Hoep :D - that's a bit of nostalgia for me. God how I sometimes wish there was a bit of flat road around here. I imagine strava has conquered Nederland too and someone is now claiming the 'king of the mountain' of de ronde hoep :lol:
  • Yellow Peril
    Very true Mike 6. The irony is that a couple of years ago cycling fans and probably other teams were p1ssing their sides at Sky's big budget and lack of results, now they are the Daddy. Time for other teams to get their act together. Movistar at the Giro definitely showed they have the potential to take them on I expect Astana and Saxo to do the same. I can't see Garmin ever really getting their act together fully, it's all a bit "love and peace" with Vaughters.
    @JaunePeril

• ddraver
    FJS wrote:
    Rondje Ronde Hoep :D - that's a bit of nostalgia for me. God how I sometimes wish there was a bit of flat road around here. I imagine strava has conquered Nederland too and someone is now claiming the 'king of the mountain' of de ronde hoep :lol:

yep, you can be KOM of just about every section of the dunes along the coast too...
    - @ddraver
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    There is a big difference in being able to podium and being able to ride into the top 10. In normal circumstances also, you dont go from crushing some people to being crushed by them the next year.

You also don't go from 75% fit to 100% in 4 weeks - unless . . .

Berties just playing mind games and you lap it up FF - good entertainment though, keep it up :D
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • above_the_cows
    FJS wrote:

Ha ha ha :D There is a slight incline in Waver and you could count one of the bridges in Ouderkerk a/d Amstel. Funny you crave some flat roads. I crave some hills and less wind. I've taken to repeatedly riding over bridges over the A9 to put my 58kgs to some use. :(
    ddraver wrote:
    yep, you can be KOM of just about every section of the dunes along the coast too...

They reach a majestic 32m in places! :shock: That was yesterday morning's ride, out to Langevelderduin.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I'm not in the least bit anti-Sky but that was definitely a poor race because, well, it wasn't a race, it was a procession. And it's all well and good suggesting that other teams raise their game but when you have someone as dominant as Froome is at the moment, what do you suggest they do?
    Something unexpected that Sky might not be able to respond to with their usual routine? Try to cooperate with a couple of other teams or something? I don't know, but they're not unbeatable, as T-A proved (not to mention the Giro). But sometimes you just have to accept that someone you're competing against is going through a purple patch and barring accidents will be very difficult to beat. So far Froome looks on course for the sort of season Wiggins enjoyed last year, but just as Wiggins has struggled this season you wouldn't expect Froome/Sky to be able to maintain this sort of dominance indefinitely.
  • above_the_cows
    Hmmmmm Porte doesn't look like he wants to be #freePorte here. :wink:

Chris-Froome-and-Richie-P-008_zps9931d6ab.jpg

I hope Froome followed through with this. It's so awkward when you proffer your cheek for someone to only go and shake your hand. :oops:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Sky bashing, here?
    You guys want to get out more.
    This place is a fanzone compared to just about every other forum.
    Very Sky-centric.

On second thoughts, sensitive types best not bother.

Young Tim Wellans looks like Belgiums answer to Stefan Pirazzi.
    He's made an impression this week, as has de Marchi, who got
    the reward for perseverance.
    Talansky recovers just as Rogers runs dry.

The weather claimed a few victims, today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    adr82 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Something unexpected that Sky might not be able to respond to with their usual routine? Try to cooperate with a couple of other teams or something? I don't know, but they're not unbeatable, as T-A proved (not to mention the Giro). But sometimes you just have to accept that someone you're competing against is going through a purple patch and barring accidents will be very difficult to beat. So far Froome looks on course for the sort of season Wiggins enjoyed last year, but just as Wiggins has struggled this season you wouldn't expect Froome/Sky to be able to maintain this sort of dominance indefinitely.
    I'd say that the A team with Froome at the front looks pretty much unbeatable at the moment barring the kind of freak conditions we saw at T-A. I'm not blaming Sky for that, it's their job to win after all. It's just that it makes for pretty dull racing for those of us who aren't massively invested in a Froome win.
  • DeadCalm
    Young Tim Wellans looks like Belgiums answer to Stefan Pirazzi.
    He's made an impression this week, as has de Marchi, who got
    the reward for perseverance.
    Very, very impressed with both of these riders over the last couple of days. Happy that De Marchi got his reward. Would have been nice if Wellens could have got something tangible as well although I'm sure he will have his day.

Also, a good side effect of De Marchi holding off Froome was that Meersman took green. Gianni owes young Alessandro a Pironi.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    FJS wrote:

Ha ha ha :D There is a slight incline in Waver and you could count one of the bridges in Ouderkerk a/d Amstel. Funny you crave some flat roads. I crave some hills and less wind. I've taken to repeatedly riding over bridges over the A9 to put my 58kgs to some use. :(
    ddraver wrote:

They reach a majestic 32m in places! :shock: That was yesterday morning's ride, out to Langevelderduin.
    I'm sure you've been to Het Kopje van Bloemendaal - now that is a mountain :D .
    Incline in Waver? 8) . I used to do hill reps up and down the Rozenoordbrug (the cycle path along the A10 over the Amstel), ha. It's a mystery really Holland produces so many pro climbers.
    I love the hills around here, I really do, but it's almost impossible to find some properly flat road around Sheffield, and once in a while that's nice too
  • ddraver
    Ah that's what it's called - went up it on a training ride with the MTB club and I ve not been able to find it again (mind you it's a long way from Den Haag, Leiden wasnt so bad...)

To be fair it's the sections between places that are stravad, not the individual dunes (i.e. Katwijk to Noordwijk)...I think, I'm not actually on it but see the odd fb post about it
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Hey I have no problem with opinions, that is what the forum is for, It's the baseless, snide, unfounded digs at hard working athletes that gets up my nose. I can empathise with Wiggins when he goes off on one with so called journalists who can only ask him questions regarding PEDs. Imagine that you did a great job at work and all people did was try to denigrate you for it, and suggest you were a cheat?
    Pathetic.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    ^YAWN

Saying negative stuff about SKY comes from the fact they win in such a unentertaining manor ... Do they care, not a jot ... Should you? Likely as it's your time they are wasting watching the stages ...

Loads of folks on here just don't want a nationalistic-centric wank ... It's a beautiful sport, ruined by Murdoch's money blackmailing a national program into doing it's will ... and this forum with it's majority of British members only furthers the concept ...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ^YAWN

Saying negative stuff about SKY comes from the fact they win in such a unentertaining manor ... Do they care, not a jot ... Should you? Likely as it's your time they are wasting watching the stages ...
    Out of interest, what would you consider an entertaining way of contesting a stage race GC?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Sky has been as dominant as last year but I don't think they have been as boring. Actually, far from it.
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    ^YAWN

Out of interest, what would you consider an entertaining way of contesting a stage race GC?
    I refer the honourable gentleman to the Tour de Suisse.