650B...ollocks?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    b45her wrote:
    yep you'd definitely fit in well with the STW folk where machoness is measured by how unsuitable for proper offroad use your bike is. tell them you ride a rigid, fixie, 29er fatbike (preferably a jones or something else equally hideous) and your gang will be worshiped like gods.
    The Fatbike this week was a Jones and yes the description is apt.....a lot of the guys compete in the Singlespeed championships....

Like I said though mine is normal, although my Retro us rigid it's still geared.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic wrote:
    In this months WMB, there was a 2k FS test - had 26er, 650 and 29ers - will not reveal what won ;-)

Probably the 650B... WMB like a bandwaggon :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    If it's a 26er the world will end.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • supersonic
    Better get building an Ark...
  • 97th choice
    He's winding us up, you can't get an orange FS for 2k.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    So SS wasn't going to tell us and now has.....still I'll pop to the local library (WHSmiths) and check it out!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The problem with this though is its not a question of which is best 26/650/29 but a question of which is best from these x (probably 5 or 6) bikes. if you've got 5 donkeys and one great bike then the great bike will always win, irrespective of wheel size. If on the other hand its a complete test of virtually every brand and model under or around 2k then it would be a valid opinion on the relative wheel sizes beyond the 'which is best of these n'.... Im guessing its not that though.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye... Dirt reviewed one of the new Norco 650Bs and concluded "This is wicked awesome- but not because of the wheel size, it's just wicked awesome". Much the same for the Camber 29er. I got the feeling if that was MBR or similiar that'd be the start of a "therefore 650B is wicked awesome" train but I don't think Steve Jones can hold together a coherent train of thought for that long :lol: Hard enough for them to tell us if a bike is good or not let alone a whole genus.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    So SS wasn't going to tell us and now has.....still I'll pop to the local library (WHSmiths) and check it out!

To be fair, I can't get any of the mags in The Netherlands so i have zero chance in Algeria, quite useful for me! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    supersonic wrote:
    Better get building an Ark...

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    I've only ever ridden 26" MTB's. I always thought that the jump to 29" was to large. My bike is getting on a bit now. I'm in the market for a new one and I'm looking almost exclusively at 650B. I like the idea of a change but 26" to 27.5" is a lot more palatable than going from 26" to 29". I don't care much for the hype but I'm pretty much sold on 650B right now. Just got to make my mind up which bike I like the most :wink: Current favourites are the Norco Sight Killer B and Rocky Mountain Altitude 650B. But new 650B bikes are appearing all the time of course.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I thought 29'ers where in fact actually closer to 28".
  • benpinnick
    They are, and 26ers are closer to 25.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    How are 26ers closer to 25?
  • The Rookie
    benpinnick wrote:
    They are, and 26ers are closer to 25.
    If a 26er was closer to a 25er, a 29er is closer to a 29.5er...at least be consistent!
  • benpinnick
    That makes no sense at all.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 97th choice
    supersonic wrote:
    In this months WMB, there was a 2k FS test - had 26er, 650 and 29ers - will not reveal what won ;-)

Based on the article do you agree that £2k is the point at which comparisons become relevent?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    benpinnick wrote:
    Yes it does....
    A 26er wheel and tyre has a close to 26" rolling diameter, a 29er has a close to rolling diameter of 28.5", so if you are caling a 26er a 25er you have to call a 29er a 27.5er (as in reality it would be a 28.5er), you can't call a 29er a 28.5er and then a 26 er a 25er, you have to apply the same parameters to both.
  • Can you convert a standard 26 frame to suit 650b?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    benpinnick wrote:
    Yes it does....
    No, it doesn't. Really.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Can you convert a standard 26 frame to suit 650b?

depends on the frame. Can be done on some but I wouldn't recommend it. Both my bikes can take 650b's and 26er wheels, but unless its a 650b specific frame I'd stay with 26ers.

And what the beginner says really didn't make any sense to me either...
  • supersonic
    i think he meant to write 27.5, not 29.5 ;-)
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Calling wheels and tires different things doesn't really make sense.
    A 26er wheel is 22" in diameter, a 650b wheel is 23" in diameter and a 700c/29er wheel is 24.5" in diameter. Any larger or smaller differences to so called rolling diameters must be entirely due to tire width.
    Unless you particularly want to fit a 650b wheel and small tire I can't see the advantage over a 26er with a larger tire. Assuming they both fit the frame and the overall diameter is the same.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • supersonic
    Yep, the rims are those sizes indeed. The term 26er came about from when someone fitted a 2 inch tyre and the diameter came to 26 inch.

If we stick with the same convention, as has been mentioned, they should be called 26er, 27er, and 28.5er.
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    Gotta be honest, my next bike will be a 650b. 29" doesnt really suit my style of riding but bigger wheels are the way to go...
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    dhooper7 wrote:
    Gotta be honest, my next bike will be a 650b. 29" doesnt really suit my style of riding but bigger wheels are the way to go...

Why?
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I've ridden a 29" and although it felt pretty fast and smooth it wasn't as snappy in the corners.
    A 650b gives you some of that smoothness but keeps most of a 26" bike's handling qualities
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    dhooper7 wrote:

Why?

Because there won't be any 26ers in the shops.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20