650B...ollocks?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Testers in magazines are riding bikes to the limit

Har. Some are quite fast. Some are not. Some reviews are based on in-depth longterm riding on varied terrain. Some are not.
    supersonic wrote:
    650b is not midway though - it is 25mm larger than the rim of a 26er (559 vs 584) - so not even an inch! 29er is 622mm. '27.5' is very misleading - mind you, so is 29er and 26 in reality! If we take 26er as granted, then the sizes with the same depth of tyre are 27 and 28.5.

Aye... This one rings the skeptic bells, as soon as they started saying "27.5" I thought "the marketing men want to hide the fact that the change from 26 to 650 is very small" Exaggeration's not often innocent when you're selling things.

What's nice about 650B is that it's very easy and cheap to test the difference that change in rolling circumference makes- just fit a bigger tyre to your 26 inch wheels and discover the difference is 1.7 metric bawhairs. Course, you can also fit big tyres to a 650b rim but it helps focus the mind to find what the basic difference is, and then think about the cost of changing.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So say you ride with 2.1" tyres on your XC bike, to replicate a 650B would require 2.6" tyres, but I do think that extra width would have other effects that may just influence a straight decision as to which to buy?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I was thinking that, surely bigger tyres have many more effects on ride handling and rolling resistance that a simple larger rim wouldn't experience.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I think you re both agreeing with each other....

I agree also that one shouldnt sell a bike to buy one with a different wheel size (maybe unless you re a very keen racer) but when one comes around to new bike time, then these things are worth really considering!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bennett_346
    I'm disagreeing with Northwind but agreeing with Beginner..
  • ddraver
    yes....I think ;)
    - @ddraver
  • Northwind
    You're actually not disagreeing with me either- I was talking about the rolling circumference, which is what the marketing people want us to think makes the biggest difference due to changed angle of collision, lengthened contact patch etc. Goes without saying there are other differences, not all of which will be good, but you can test this "important" difference and discover how little difference it is.

I heard a chap talking about how he was going to fit 650b wheels to his old bike and get "most of the benefit of a 29er" but was going to avoid the ill effects by using skinny tyres. Congratulations sir, you've invented the 26 inch wheel.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    But part of the marketers reasons to change to 650b is the better rolling capability generated from the larger diameter, but on a lot of surfaces a bigger tyre will increase the rolling resistance, so how could you tell?

As i do mostly smooth surfaced trails and super long distance rides these days, fat tyres absolutely kill your energy after a few hours so i have 2.1s fitted. Fitting 2.6 inch tyres would kill any benefit of the increased diameter straight away surely.
  • Northwind
    It's not just rolling resistance, it's how the tyre meets obstacles. A bigger wheel isn't automatically faster on a reasonably smooth surface, nor is a fat tyre automatically slower - a fast, fat tyre can be faster rolling than a thin, slower tyre (partly because narrower tyres tend to need to be stickier or knobblier to generate the same amount of grip from less contact patch).

My real world example is going from a 1.8 mud tyre to a 2.4 Nobby Nic- the Nic's a faster tyre anyway so I'm not losing a big-tyre advantage to extra drag.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    I still don't really understand what you mean, a different tyre is a different tyre and there's many more variables it changes that you wouldn't experience with a larger rim and same size tyre which would "pollute" the test. It just wouldn't be controlled enough to understand the change in feel imo.

eg. bigger volume tyres feel significantly different in corners not just because of their increased height but also the grip, the squashy feel, the elastic rebound etc and how would you know that it was the larger diameter that changed the cornering handling, not the other variables?
  • Northwind
    The big difference that people keep banging on about is how the rolling circumference effects rollover, and that's what I'm talking about here. Very easy to compare- yes the 2 tyres will act differently, but that's no different to any 2 tyres regardless of wheel size, and so isnt an argument for or against a wheel size. But that feeling of how it reacts when hitting a square edge or a wheeltrap, which is supposed to be where 650b is better, that's down to size.

And frankly if that change is so small that you can lose it in the background of a tyre change, why is it interesting at all?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    Once again i'm sorry but i disagree. Like for like a larger volume tyre will still react differently hitting a square edged bump than a larger wheel and same volume tyre would, so how would you tell if it was the tyre or circumference that gave the desired (or undesired) feel?

If you're testing one variable, the rest must be the same on both tests, this is basic science.

What if someone new to riding with a 26 inch wheeled bike decided to do this test so fitted a larger volume tyre and did the square edge test, found that it was more "absorbent" of the impact and held its speed better and decided it was entirely down to the increase in circumference without taking into account the effects of larger volume on square edges?

To me that is like saying you can test a slacker head angle by fitting longer travel forks - yes, you can and the head angle would be slacker, but you also have the effects of increased travel which would dissolve the difference between two different head angles.
  • Northwind
    What if someone new to riding with a 26 inch wheeled bike decided to do this test so fitted a larger volume tyre and did the square edge test, found that it was more "absorbent" of the impact and held its speed better and decided it was entirely down to the increase in circumference without taking into account the effects of larger volume on square edges?

If you can't distinguish the two, it's because the difference is too small to be interesting. Any perceptive rider knows the difference tyre pressure/squish makes, and can draw conclusions accordingly. Anyone who can't distinguish between a hard or soft tyre probably doesn't need to worry much about wheel size either!

If you like, you could fanny around with tyre pressures til the bump resistance is comparable, simple enough. But if you're going to discount any opinion or test that isn't done with only 1 variable changing, it becomes impossible to compare anything between the two, there will always be other differences- so no matter what there's a compromise there.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    I still disagree that it's a worthwhile test in any way. And i would disagree with anyone that suggested there was any accurate way of testing the two against each other because as you say the difference is too small to really be noticed.

29ers are a big enough step up that you could tell which characteristics came from the bigger wheel but 650b? Nope. I don't think there's such a test that you could get any meaningful comparison from.
  • Northwind
    Ah, I getcha. Yeah, looking back, I didn't explain that well in the original post- I don't think you can tell exactly what the difference is- but I think you can tell that it's not big enough to be fussed about. More about bracketing than exact measurement, if you like.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    Yeah i thought you were saying it was a way of seeing if a 650b bike would be for you, but since you mean it shows that the characteristics are so indifferent it would show how little you'd notice, yes, i agree with that.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    The actual rim diameters:
    26er - 22"
    650b - 23"
    700c/29er - 24.5"

So, there is a significant difference and the 650b is only within 0.25" of mid point.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Northwind wrote:
    This is a nice illustration- 2.1 tyres on each

650B-wheel-size-comparison-with-tires05-600x376.jpg
    :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    So how come I can see a second rim behind the 26er almost dpwn to the tyre if the tyres are the same size? Doesn't quite make sense!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You don't. The rim you seem is behind the 650
  • thelonegroover
    So how come I can see a second rim behind the 26er almost dpwn to the tyre if the tyres are the same size? Doesn't quite make sense!

Not quite sure what you're referring to here.
    The tyres may have the same width (2.1) but the rims and tyre diameter aren't the same size. A 26er rim is 22", a 650b rim is 23".
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    You don't. The rim you seem is behind the 650
    no it's the 650b, unless the 29er has two presta valves, full size pic here http://www.eqip.co/img/blog/22.jpg
        the 650b tyre must have a mahoosive tyre wall on it if that pics right
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • ddraver
      Is nt it far easier to look at the left hand picture? Why are you all so focussed on the right?!?!? Could it maybe be a bit of confirmation bias?
      - @ddraver
    • Chunkers1980
      Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
      I see now. I was looking at the top. Does look odd. Should all be about the same at the bottom.
    • thelonegroover
      bails87 wrote:
      Northwind wrote:
      This is a nice illustration- 2.1 tyres on each

650B-wheel-size-comparison-with-tires05-600x376.jpg
      :wink:
      I think this picture just confuses things. A 2.1 tyre should be the same width on a 26er, 650b or 29er. The bottom of the wheels should all be the same. The axle of the 650b should be 1/2" higher than the 26er. The axle of the 29er should be 1.25" higher than the 26er. Unless the tyres are different.
      Planet X Kaffenback 2
      Giant Trance X2
      Planet X n2a
      Genesis Core 20
    • chez_m356
      chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
      ddraver wrote:
      Is nt it far easier to look at the left hand picture? Why are you all so focussed on the right?!?!? Could it maybe be a bit of confirmation bias?
        because if the right hand pic is correct and both those pics are of the same wheels, then it suggests to me at least that the size of your tyre wall makes more difference than the rim size :wink:
          i am of course talking complete b*ll*cks about something that i have no knowledge of :lol:
        Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
      • The Rookie
        Not quite sure what you're referring to here.
        The tyres may have the same width (2.1) but the rims and tyre diameter aren't the same size. A 26er rim is 22", a 650b rim is 23".
        If the tyres are the same width and height, the bottom edge of the rims should all be in the same place, not one about 1/2" higher - obvious innit!
      • thelonegroover
        Yes, completely agree, thats why this picture is confusing. Unless he's taken it from level with the top, in effect looking down at the bottom of the wheel, that would have the same effect.
        Planet X Kaffenback 2
        Giant Trance X2
        Planet X n2a
        Genesis Core 20
      • supersonic
        supersonic Posts: 82,708
        There are distance effects in the picture, and the tyres don't look to be the same model.