650B...ollocks?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    So how come I can see a second rim behind the 26er almost dpwn to the tyre if the tyres are the same size? Doesn't quite make sense!

The camera wasn't level with the bottom edges of the rims when the photo was taken- so you can see over the top of the first rim.

In the side-on pic, you can see that the wheels aren't perfectly straight to the camera which is giving the impression that the 650b one is really thin. But yep, tyre sizes do vary, as anyone who's ever used a Maxxis or Conti knows.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That is no parallax error that is clearly 2 different height tyres......making the whol effort rather pointless as all it tells you is some tyres are different sizes and not the effect of the wheel size change, after all, which is the rim we can see that we shouldn't, is it the 650B or the 29er? If you can't say for sure the excercise is pointless!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Making a scale diagram out of the picture might be more helpful for a comparison, as the picture does seem to produce more questions than answers.

One of the main ones that springs to mind is 'how has this generated a 5 page thread?'.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Bottom line - if you like the bike and it rides well and fits all your criteria when looking for a bike who gives a shit what wheels it has?! Some of the arguments in this thread are hilarious, there's far, far more to a bike than wheel size.
  • Northwind
    That is no parallax error that is clearly 2 different height tyres.....

I honestly have no idea why you think that. You can't tell in the pic either way. They might be for all I know (in fact from measuring tyres, there's a better than even chance they are, since for one thing so many claimed sizes are just wrong, and for others claimed width tells you little about height) but it's not "clearly" anything!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I want a myriagon wheel...

TBH, for me the biggest thing is manoeuvrability. A 29er looks soo cumbersome (not to mention ridiculous), that I can't see* them being much fun on a fun technical trail (trail jumps, drops etc etc). The frames are so bloody big to compensate for the extra room required.
    But, I can see the appeal for XC. If a bigger wheel smooths out a trail and helps the lycra brigade keep their cadence up then fair enough.

650b seems to me like a fashion thing. Not ready to jump on the bandwaggon (mainly because it involves spending ££ and isn't compatible with any of my bikes).

* I haven't actually ridden a 29er, but still haven't been convinced that there is a reason for me to.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    lawman wrote:
    Bottom line - if you like the bike and it rides well and fits all your criteria when looking for a bike who gives a shoot what wheels it has?!.

^ this

There's too much crap bring written by people who haven't ridden them, and there's probably a corresponding amount of crap from people who have bought them un tested but are secretly regretting it. :wink:
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I realise I'm just a newbie and haven't been around much, but the handful of times I have been on the trails, despite all the magazine hype telling us 26ers are dead and we must move on, I've not seen a single rider on a 29er or 650B yet.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Monkey man - Test one one day, it's a bit of fun and couldnt hurt.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Monkey man - Test one one day, it's a bit of fun and couldnt hurt.

Never say never! Will do one day I'm sure, but in no rush.... probably when then next bike is due!
  • The Rookie
    I realise I'm just a newbie and haven't been around much, but the handful of times I have been on the trails, despite all the magazine hype telling us 26ers are dead and we must move on, I've not seen a single rider on a 29er or 650B yet.
    Must be a Yorkshire thing, I see loads of 29ers, and while 650B is new and rare, I doubt if you saw one you'd realise it was a 650B anyway......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I rarely see 29ers either.
  • Kowalski675
    Must be a Yorkshire thing, I see loads of 29ers, and while 650B is new and rare, I doubt if you saw one you'd realise it was a 650B anyway......

I was in Lancashire on Sunday, lol :wink:
  • The Rookie
    Aye but thee be another one oh them there northern folk......and Lancashire is oop north....

Some of my group rides I go on 26ers are in the minority.
  • Kowalski675
    Blimey, comparing Yorkshire folk to Lancastrians - wars have started over less, lol...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Plenty of both down here in the affluent south. Goes with the Audi.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Thats why I have a 26er, so retro I still have a BMW!
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    3 out of 8 of our group have 29ers. One person is on his 2nd.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    supersonic wrote:
    I rarely see 29ers either.

I cruised past a bunch on them on way round whites on the weekend, still look like a bunch of tree huggers to me.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I'm in Dalby forest every day. Nearly every 5th bike i see is a 29er.... (probably southerners on a day trip).
  • The Rookie
    Did a mental tot up, last group ride I was on (Midlands, so neither norf nor saff) we had 18 bikes, 8 were 29ers and one a 69er.
    Just to add extra spice, one was a fatbike, suspension wise we had 1 FS, 9 HT's and 8 rigids, gear wise we had 10 SS, 1 1x and 7 fully geared.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Did a mental tot up, last group ride I was on (Midlands, so neither norf nor saff) we had 18 bikes, 8 were 29ers and one a 69er.
    Just to add extra spice, one was a fatbike, suspension wise we had 1 FS, 9 HT's and 8 rigids, gear wise we had 10 SS, 1 1x and 7 fully geared.
    Bunch of perverts :wink:
    I cruised past a bunch on them on way round whites on the weekend,
    Wow, they really must be slow! :twisted:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134

you should talk to someone about your problems.
  • Northwind
    Did a mental tot up, last group ride I was on (Midlands, so neither norf nor saff) we had 18 bikes, 8 were 29ers and one a 69er. Just to add extra spice, one was a fatbike, suspension wise we had 1 FS, 9 HT's and 8 rigids, gear wise we had 10 SS, 1 1x and 7 fully geared.

I think the forum you're looking for is Singletrackworld :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    Hey don't pick on me, mine was the 1x, HT 26er......

Two of them also own CX bikes, though they only appear for rides when we pre-agree an easier route for them (when I wheel out my Retro for fun).

Most the group prey at the altar of N+1......I'm almost an outcast with only 4 bikes...
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    bails87 wrote:
    I cruised past a bunch on them on way round whites on the weekend,
    Wow, they really must be slow! :twisted:

Nah they were just trying to make them go round a corner and couldn't figure it out :P
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147

yep you'd definitely fit in well with the STW folk where machoness is measured by how unsuitable for proper offroad use your bike is. tell them you ride a rigid, fixie, 29er fatbike (preferably a jones or something else equally hideous) and your gang will be worshiped like gods.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    In this months WMB, there was a 2k FS test - had 26er, 650 and 29ers - will not reveal what won ;-)
  • Kowalski675
    That's not due out for a few days, you have it on subscription?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    No, he's omnipresent.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500