Giro Stage 9 - Spoiler thread

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The host towns must be really annoyed when the race passes through their town in the piddling rain.

Isn't the best advert for the Tuscan tourist board.

Indeed, i'm not googling for a weekend break in Florence.

I'm off to Tuscany in a few weeks for work. I only agreed to go because of the promise of sun. :?

Wiggins a minute back from Nibali? Crumbs. :shock:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    More than a minute according to the split...
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Generally they have the same tyre for wet and dry, but may drop the pressure a few PSI on wet days.

Wiggins gap over a minute apparently.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Gap is getting bigger & have quite a few KMS to make up that gap but then its 2 more smaller climbs/descents to come
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Feeling sorry for TS with all these mechanicals.... I blame
    Halfords. :D
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    I fear Wiggo has lost the psychological battle with the conditions and the other GC contenders
  • above_the_cows
    Who is the road captain in the Sky team?
  • DeadCalm
    Can anyone see BMC in the Nibali group?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Nibali gets Astana's one and only rain cape.. the rest of them having to do with Gilets.

Why is Wiggo gapped? Just crap descending again or something else?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    When did Wiggins become such a bad bike handler? Is it him or is their kit an issue as Froome had probkens in the wet back in T-A.
  • GentlemanBear
    GentlemanBear Posts: 280
    under forty seconds now according to the ticker
  • danlikesbikes
    Pross wrote:
    When did Wiggins become such a bad bike handler? Is it him or is their kit an issue as Froome had probkens in the wet back in T-A.

Good question, think it must me more mental than equipment based though?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Astana must be loving this, hardly pushing on yet still gapping Wiggins.

I think Wiggins performance yesterday shows that he's not in terrible form, but it must just be a confidence thing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • MrT
    Pugwash judging by the conditions and the cartoon descending.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Pross wrote:

Think it's purely mental, his knee did look pretty screwed

The Wiggo gap is closing again
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited May 2013
    Just clocked on. Is this gap to Wiggins solely due to descending like and ex-Boss?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • GentlemanBear
    GentlemanBear Posts: 280
    was down to 20 secs to Wiggins, Millar takes to the front of the main group and it's back upto 30''
  • alihisgreat
    I wonder what he did in training after climbing those mountains in Tenerife?
  • above_the_cows
    MrT wrote:
    Pugwash judging by the conditions and the cartoon descending.

:D

Obviously it doesn't rain in Tenerife and Wiggins has only been cycling up Mt. Teide.
  • danlikesbikes
    Macaloon wrote:
    Just clocked on. I this gap to Wiggins solely due to descending like and ex-Boss?

Appears to be, hard to tell exactly as camera bike was struggling to get to him.
  • above_the_cows
    I wonder what he did in training after climbing those mountains in Tenerife?

He got this back down:

cable_car_auli_zpscf72145e.jpg
  • danlikesbikes
    Was Millar in the front of the peloton with Astana? If so assume his looking over the shoulder was for Ryder
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    These time gaps don't appear reliable, looked like Wiggins was virtually back and then back to 40 now back down. If Wiggins makes it back he owes his team a huge debt (and possibly needs to thank Nibali who didn't seem to push as hard as he could(.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Wiggins way back on the descent again.
    You would think that Sky, considering themselves at the forefront of technology and marginal gains, might have thought of hydraulic disk brakes for Wiggins - they might give him a greater degree of control, and also a better feeling of security.
  • MrT
    Would love Belkov to win this real gritty ride.
    Has JV told Millar to stoke it up in order to screw Sky over?
  • DeadCalm
    Astana go to the front the gap to Wiggins goes down. Millar goes to the front, the gap goes up.
  • alihisgreat
    Pross wrote:
    These time gaps don't appear reliable, looked like Wiggins was virtually back and then back to 40 now back down. If Wiggins makes it back he owes his team a huge debt (and possibly needs to thank Nibali who didn't seem to push as hard as he could(.

His team are all compensated with very healthy wages? I think that should cover it :roll:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    knedlicky wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Wiggins way back on the descent again.
    You would think that Sky, considering themselves at the forefront of technology and marginal gains, might have thought of hydraulic disk brakes for Wiggins - they might give him a greater degree of control, and also a better feeling of security.

They are banned by UCI rules.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • above_the_cows
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Astana go to the front the gap to Wiggins goes down. Millar goes to the front, the gap goes up.

Payback for Wiggins' defection to Sky?
  • danlikesbikes
    DeadCalm wrote:

Payback for Wiggins' defection to Sky?

No hes looking after his team leader