Giro Stage 9 - Spoiler thread

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Track stand on a climb & giving the moto chap the evils for parking there too
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Has anyone calculated the times for the 2nd split yesterday? That was Wiggins' part of the course to shine.

He took over a minute out of Nibs - FF posted a google docs in the Stage 8 thread with all the numbers:
    Some good person has done this great document with all the split times. Heavyweight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... hTUE#gid=0

Good to see youngsters Aru and Majka performing well at the end of a long TT. Bodes well.

Even on Int1-Int2, Wiggins didn't put in that much time. Kangert hauling on that part.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    knedlicky wrote:
    Absolutely MASSIVE credit to Bradley Wiggins:
    Lets be honest, I descended like a bit of a girl the day before
    Yes because having a vagina means you are automatically a bad descender.
    Thankfully Bradley realised he'd made a sexist wally of himself and tried to dig himself out of the hole.
    Nothing wrong with admitting a weakness but doing it by making a gendered comment is not cool. Hopefully he can descend like a good descender rather that a bad descender for the rest of this Giro.
    I don't disagree with you, but I'm wondering (so serious question) whether you'd find it acceptable had Wiggins said:
    "I descended like a big girl’s blouse"

(for those who don't know the expression, it's heard in northern England, so Wiggins should have come across it where he lives)

This is a good question and it is one of the problems with entrenched gendered language, we use phrases without thinking or realising the gender hierarchies contained within them. English is littered with these types of phrases that continually work to reaffirm gender differences where women are seen as weaker, irrational etc etc. I'd like to stop and think where the phrase came from and why 'a big girls blouse' should be linked with the idea of weakness in the first place? What are the underlying assumptions about men and women that make that phrase have meaning because if you think about it without cultural context it is a ridiculous phrase that doesn't mean anything. This is why these phrases always contain within them more than the actual words, they build on whole histories and cultures of hierarchical differences between men and women and work to reproduce them.

There are not so many common phrases that make an implicit link between men and weakness. I can't think of one. I can only think of ones that link male weakness to homosexuality which is obviously also not cool. There are words we use to denote someone being stupid that use 'masculine' terminology (usually rude) but there are equally a large number of female words (usually rude) that we also use for someone being stupid. Most gendered terms we use for denoting weakness are feminine.

Anyway back to the rainy stage, its a Sunday and I normally save this type of thing for the day job.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Horrible conditions. I, for one, would be descending like a girl on these roads.*

*On a pink Barbie branded bike, keeping my legs well clear of the pedals as they whirr around due to the tiny fixed gear.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Been distracted with the small matter of a championship play-off so just catching up. Whilst I tend to agree with ATC (in so far as I understand the argument) the above debate suggests that the stage so far has been less than a rip snorter. Am I right?
  • danlikesbikes
    Can see quite a few spills happening on these roads look wet & pretty new so greasy like those from Fridays stage
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • above_the_cows
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Been distracted with the small matter of a championship play-off so just catching up. Whilst I tend to agree with ATC (in so far as I understand the argument) the above debate suggests that the stage so far has been less than a rip snorter. Am I right?

You'd be right, not much happening aside from the weather.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    The sharp right hander that the leader and chase group have gone round is going to cause a pile up for the peleton...
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    knedlicky wrote:
    Absolutely MASSIVE credit to Bradley Wiggins:
    Lets be honest, I descended like a bit of a girl the day before
    Yes because having a vagina means you are automatically a bad descender.
    Thankfully Bradley realised he'd made a sexist wally of himself and tried to dig himself out of the hole.
    Nothing wrong with admitting a weakness but doing it by making a gendered comment is not cool. Hopefully he can descend like a good descender rather that a bad descender for the rest of this Giro.
    I don't disagree with you, but I'm wondering (so serious question) whether you'd find it acceptable had Wiggins said:
    "I descended like a big girl’s blouse"

(for those who don't know the expression, it's heard in northern England, so Wiggins should have come across it where he lives)

This is a good question and it is one of the problems with entrenched gendered language, we use phrases without thinking or realising the gender hierarchies contained within them. English is littered with these types of phrases that continually work to reaffirm gender differences where women are seen as weaker, irrational etc etc. I'd like to stop and think where the phrase came from and why 'a big girls blouse' should be linked with the idea of weakness in the first place? What are the underlying assumptions about men and women that make that phrase have meaning because if you think about it without cultural context it is a ridiculous phrase that doesn't mean anything. This is why these phrases always contain within them more than the actual words, they build on whole histories and cultures of hierarchical differences between men and women and work to reproduce them.

There are not so many common phrases that make an implicit link between men and weakness. I can't think of one. I can only think of ones that link male weakness to homosexuality which is obviously also not cool. There are words we use to denote someone being stupid that use 'masculine' terminology (usually rude) but there are equally a large number of female words (usually rude) that we also use for someone being stupid. Most gendered terms we use for denoting weakness are feminine.

Anyway back to the rainy stage, its a Sunday and I normally save this type of thing for the day job.

Please can you just shut up, the Sagan episode was nausiating, please don't put us through this faux outrage thing again.
  • danlikesbikes
    Some gapping starting to appear but Astana appear to be riding tempo not out and out full on speed
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    @Above the Cows

Those long winter nights must really fly by in your house.

Take the sanctimonious horse poop to another thread - nobody gives a fook here.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Can see quite a few spills happening on these roads look wet & pretty new so greasy like those from Fridays stage
    I don't think this is as bad as two days ago.
    There is so much rain falling and the roads appear to be less used by those shitty diesel vehicles.

Thank the UCI dicks for bringing the Giro to the first week of May.
    Nothing being said about "Snow" on the Dolomites ?
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • danlikesbikes
    Belkov getting his foot down there The Doctor style on that corner
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Wiggins way back on the descent again.
  • danlikesbikes
    edited May 2013
    deejay wrote:
    I don't think this is as bad as two days ago.
    There is so much rain falling and the roads appear to be less used by those sh!tty diesel vehicles.

Thank the UCI dicks for bringing the Giro to the first week of May.
    Nothing being said about "Snow" on the Dolomites ?

They look pretty well used but hard to tell when watching on TV, think we are seeing a few people with issues though, but Astana appear to be riding fast but flat out.

Edit: thats 2 that we have seen on camera & that Astana guy head into the wall looked worse in slow mo
  • Dorset_Boy
    Big slide for Astana rider there - headbutted wall at end. :shock:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The host towns must be really annoyed when the race passes through their town in the piddling rain.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DeadCalm
    Would like to see the helicopter shot of the peloton.
  • above_the_cows
    The host towns must be really annoyed when the race passes through their town in the piddling rain.

Isn't the best advert for the Tuscan tourist board.
  • DeadCalm
    Big splits by the look of it.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    would it really be so hard to put a hood on the cameras to stop the rain??
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Indeed, i'm not googling for a weekend break in Florence.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Dorset_Boy
    Sky riding a different race to the rest of gthe GC teams :D
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Looks like the Sky guys are a fair bit behind Astana.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited May 2013
    Not being able to go downhill in a Giro is a problem...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Just tuning in as I've been out for a ride round the park with my 5 year old. Oh and bloody Giro has caused me to buy a new bike which I can't afford...

Where are Santambrogio, Sanchez, Scarponi compared to Nibs, Cuddles and Wiggo?
  • danlikesbikes

Indeed, i'm not googling for a weekend break in Florence.

Beautiful part of the country, had a great holiday there was windy & cold in the morning and lovely sunshine in the afternoon at this time of the year.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Sky catching at a rate of knots by the looks of things
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Can someone tell me if the pro teams use the same tyres no matter the weather, or do they change them for rainy days?
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Suggestion is that Wiggins is 30s down on Nibs but should make it up on the flat....Not impressive though.