Does anybody "name" their bike...?

Comments

• Bazinga!!!
    Bazinga!!! Posts: 30
    hipshot wrote:
    Yes, it was a bit mean spirited I suppose. I take it back.

It just made me laugh, I couldn't help it. :D

Apology accepted. Like I said, just a bit of fun. :D
    Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    In the absense of knowing the actual make/model I have called my bike Geoff and he has a curly man tash !

DSC_0013_zps003db370.jpg
  • forward_loop
    forward_loop Posts: 314
    My triathlon friends have a very narcissistic streak. They all ignore what the bikes tells them their names are and insist on having decals printed with their own names and country flags which they stick neatly on the top tubes near the rear drop-out. Makes me chuckle.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Is that narcissistic ? Tri bikes are left overnight in transition on racks of 100s of others - its perfectly plausible that you leave the bike next to a very similar bike.

I have my name on mine too.

(it's a bit odd though if your top tube is near your rear drop out ? Bad crash maybe ?)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Bit of a grave-dig no?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Mea Culpa! I resurrected this thread after someone commented on naming bikes in another thread.
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 Posts: 116
    My old commuter is called Michael Portillo, it spends too much time on the train and is a bit of a cunt
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I never name my bikes.

I get the wife to do it for me.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    TimothyW wrote:
    I never name my bikes.

I get the wife to do it for me.

'Bloody thing' ? As in; "You're not going on that bloody thing again are you?".
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mine's called 'The Bike'.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    My Argon 18 is called Tina. Don't cry for me, Argon Tina.
  • pinno
    topcattim wrote:
    My Argon 18 is called Tina. Don't cry for me, Argon Tina.

lol
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Mine are usually called " oh bo**ocks "as that's all I seem to say when I'm out on them.
  • pinno
    Webboo wrote:
    Mine are usually called " oh bo**ocks "as that's all I seem to say when I'm out on them.

You had better get on that Robin Williams bike auction site and pick up a dream machine.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Colnago Master - The Master. Condor Fratello - The Fratello.
    Someone had kindly named them before I bought them.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Colnago Master - The Master. Condor Fratello - The Fratello.
    Someone had kindly named them before I bought them.

One of mine: 'The C40'. Simples.

Some pics would be nice Blakey.
  • My Cervelo (summer ride) is named Miss P.J.Cervelo after my wife, Paula Jane. And it sounds a bit North American .
    My Allez (winter bike) is called "Bike".
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Pinno wrote:
    Some pics would be nice Blakey.
    The Master
    48412e886b67b4a5293faa644c27478f.jpg

The Fratello
    825b2930933f6ecd624e945a22e2da82.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    Campag too!

Cheers Blakey. Like me, you have taste. :D :
  • Yeah, who doesn't!
  • No.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Most have names of sort

Hardtail MTB - Monkey, short travel lightweight bike which ruined your arms on a trail but left you giggling like an idiot, or least that's how a mate described it so the name stuck
    Full sus - Steve its made by Stevens
    Eastway road - R3 actually its model number but made it sound like a motorbike in my head
    PlanetX road - El Blanco, because its white an I'm not imaginative.
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    I call my bike 'Dolan'
  • I call mine "the bike". It's a bike, I ride it to and from work. It takes me touring and I do family rides with it. I have named my child but the bike is just the bike. Do you name all your socket set or favourite chain splitter? Why your bike?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    No, mine are known as their brand or model. Not sure when I use model rather than brand though. I'm currently trying to convince the GF to let me name our potential new dog 'dog' though so maybe I'm not normal...
  • I caught.myself calling our son "boy" last week. He's young so it's inappropriate I think.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Yup.

Bought a titanium from FatBirds Don't Fly.

Bike is called Thai Bird.

I can only dream ;-)
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I call mine "the bike". It's a bike, I ride it to and from work. It takes me touring and I do family rides with it. I have named my child but the bike is just the bike. Do you name all your socket set or favourite chain splitter? Why your bike?
    If you don't anthropomorphize it, how do you expect it to look after you?

Partly it's a security thing, I don't actually have any particularly nice bikes, but by using a name instead of say 'Cervelo P5x' or 'Colnago Master' on strava it makes it that bit harder for a bike thief doesn't it?
  • Strava?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I call mine "the bike". It's a bike, I ride it to and from work. It takes me touring and I do family rides with it. I have named my child but the bike is just the bike. Do you name all your socket set or favourite chain splitter? Why your bike?

I named all my sockets, took a while but nothing foxes people more when you ask them to go an get Darryl from the 3/4 rail