Does anybody "name" their bike...?

Bazinga!!!
Bazinga!!! Posts: 30
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
I think I need help!!!

I think I may have bikeitis or some other bike related illness. Still waiting for my 1st "proper" bike for 30 years to arrive (see my post entitled "Diary of a newbie") but I find myself thinking of the bike as a "her" rather than an it.

This got me thinking. Does anyone have a name for their pride and joy? If so what is it (she?) called & why?

Or am I the only saddo out there? :(
Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

Comments

• Sheepycb
    Sheepycb Posts: 12
    I've never thought about it! Though I name all my other toys - cars, motorbikes.....! Got me thinking :?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I call mine 'the bike', as in "I'm off out on the bike - see you tonight" or "the bike needs looking at so I'll be in the garage for a while." That works.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    I have 5 bikes and I call them all Keith !!!!!!
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Bazinga!!!
    pastey_boy wrote:

Interesting name choice pastey_boy. Why Keith???
    Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Bazinga!!! wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

Keith is taken from a trio of awesome names, the others being Trevor and Clive. All three are at the very top of name awesomeness but Keith just shades it for the ultimate name ever , but please bear in mind that the above view is my opinion and others may chose Trevor or indeed Clive.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Bazinga!!!
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Bazinga!!! wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

Keith is taken from a trio of awesome names, the others being Trevor and Clive. All three are at the very top of name awesomeness but Keith just shades it for the ultimate name ever , but please bear in mind that the above view is my opinion and others may chose Trevor or indeed Clive.

Clive...hmmm!!!..Clive. That does have a certain ring to it. I can't actually name my bike until I've seen the finished article but I'm all about the Clive at the moment. :)
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    "ya bast@rd" is mine...........

heaving up a hill muttering to myself.... come on" ya bast@rd". :wink:
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have never named one of my bikes but cars have always had names.

I think of my bike as a he, not a she. Not sure why but could be because I perceive it to be more capable if male, and think a name would destroy its machine like qualities.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Bikes are feminine... I thought everybody knew that! The French call them la petite reine or little queen. Mine are called Gladys and ruby... For reasons I won't go into
  • I think your all sick.. having said that its a little wet and miserable here so I'll leave Christine and her sleek polished surface nice and dry in the house and drag dirty bulky boris out of the shed.
  • frgazza
    frgazza Posts: 11
    edited May 2013
    Ernie. One day I was riding and started humming the song about the fastest milk cart in the West. The name stuck and now all the family will ask, "Are you going out on Ernie."

In fact once when he was being repaired my mom sent a get well card addressed to Ernie!!

frgazza
  • I call my scott Selina, my specialized Speccy and my Turbo bike Tina!
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • robertsims
    robertsims Posts: 141
    Yep -
    My Road bike is Diego (my toddler named it after tiger in Ice Age because it looks fast)
    My MTB is Clyde (it's made by Orange - so named after Oranagtan from Every Which Way by Loose - old Clint Eastwood film)
    Triban 3
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    My old yellow Bianchi is simply called 'the banana', I haven't named the Stealth yet but it's always been a she
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If I miss a gear on a climb it gets called a useless piece of f***** sh** but that's your lot.
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Bazinga!!! wrote:
    I think I need help!!!

I think I may have bikeitis or some other bike related illness. Still waiting for my 1st "proper" bike for 30 years to arrive (see my post entitled "Diary of a newbie") but I find myself thinking of the bike as a "her" rather than an it.

This got me thinking. Does anyone have a name for their pride and joy? If so what is it (she?) called & why?

Or am I the only saddo out there? :(

My Boardman is called Brian (when I bought it I had a Mazda MX-5 Jasper Conran edition which I named 'Jasper', who is also Brian Griffin's cousin in Family Guy). I thought the two of them could co-exist, but it was not to be, Jasper got sold after spending a year SORNed.

My Scott CR1 Pro is called... *shame*... Scott. Also named after a colleague of mine who hates bikes, which I take great pleasure in reminding him of.

Oddly, Brian's rear mech cable pulled out of the clamping bolt on the way to the train station this morning, leaving me in 34/11. Will have to have a word when I get home.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    My Bianchi is called the Italian Mistress, as in "-yes dear i'd be delighted to do the hoovering but I'm just popping out to ride the Italian Mistress"
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Mines called Scott (obviously) but it definitely a she judging by the way I ride her.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    First bike was called "Beyonce" because she was black and beautiful. New bike is called Kimberley (Walsh), because she's white and sexy!

I will have to stay away from green bikes, Grotbags is not a good name.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    goonz wrote:
    Mines called Scott (obviously) but it definitely a she judging by the way I ride her.
    Bit of a coincidence, mine's called Scott too :)
  • mrmahoosive
    mrmahoosive Posts: 46
    My old Boardman = Chris
    My Stevens 29er MTB = Steve
    My Wyndy Milla Big Geranium = Big G (or Big Girls Blouse)
    I've got a spesh MTB that I rarely use which doesn't have a name though.
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    My 'Sunday Best' Moda is called 'Concorde' and my dirty commuter single speed is called 'Patsy', both names stolen from a certain British film.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    Best bike - Daisy (because she has flowers on her)
    Commuter - Ninja (all black)
    Winter bike - Bambi (because I once misheard "little gears" as "little deers", and she has stupidly low gearing)
    Old hybrid - Betty (because most of my bike rides on her seemed to be to Bettys and back)

The mountain bike doesn't have a name, other than "that bloody thing that keeps on trying to kill me".
  • Bazinga!!!
    Some great names & reasons behind them out there. So glad to hear I won't be alone.

I guess it's like naming your children. You have names in mind for a boy or a girl but can't be really sure until you actually clap eyes on them for the 1st time.
    First bike was called "Beyonce" because she was black and beautiful. New bike is called Kimberley (Walsh), because she's white and sexy!

I will have to stay away from green bikes, Grotbags is not a good name.

Was thinking of calling mine Rhianna for the same reason as you naming yours "Beyonce" but I reckon mine will stay a little bit dirty. :lol:

Clive still the front runner for a boy though. Good, strong dependable name that won't let you down in a crisis.

Keep the suggestions coming in!!!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Mines called Emmett sometimes, as my mate has a bike he calls Marty. Otherwise I call it Rourkie for obvious reasons.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Andyh1710
    Andyh1710 Posts: 10
    Mine is called Richard Parker, it somehow came about as a joke between me and my girlfriend whilst having a drink after seeing Life of Pi and stuck. This has resulted in regular use of the phrases "You love Richard Parker more than me" and "I can't tonight babe, I have a date with Richard Parker". Raises an eyebrow or two when in public.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I don't name mine but i might start after reading this thread.I think i shall name it Halle,because i like to ride her hard. :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    I named mine "Diablo" cos it's freaking evil!
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    My best bikes called Munchkin. Workbike s called Bert.Hybrid the beast.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • stevenw
    stevenw Posts: 44
    Never named a car or motorbike before but my Colnago has a sticker on it that says Julie. Julie was my partner of 25 years who passed away in November 2011. Without her hard work and support I wouldn't have had any big boys toys!! (Must be going soft in my old age).