Giro Stage 4 - Spoiler Thread

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Sandy Casar not started – broken bone at base of hand.

After 20 km, a group of riders about 1-30 ahead, with Le Bon and Roux (both FDJ), Ligthart (VCD), Berard (ALM), Sella (AND), Minguez and Tamouridis (both EUS).
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    After 42kms Katusha have let the breakaway go out to 7'40"
  • frenchfighter
    Esukaltel rider in the break:
    Ioannis Tamouridis, 32, is the first Greek rider to participate in the Giro d'Italia. He is a true all around talent, having won more than 30 national titles in road races, track and mountain bike. He is in fact currently the national time trial champion. Tamouridis turned pro in 2009 with the Greek Continental-rankedSP Tableware team, and made the move up to the WorldTour only this year with Euskaltel-Euskadi, which finally started signing non-Basque riders.
    -Cnews
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    there is a long long way too go and Paulo could struggle to hang on if the gc guys have a dig anyway
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    Sorry to interrupt, guys, but do you know where I can watch the race online? Back at work today...

Thanks in advance
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Happy to see Johan Le Bon on the attack.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    NervexProf wrote:

Or you can watch it on Sky Go if you have Sky at home.
  • smithy21
    75km to go. Gap is 5 mins.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Minguez (EUS) heads up the road on the latest hill. Every chance of becoming a solo effort as the rest of the breakaway looks blown and the peloton is around 1 min away. 50km to go.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Bored. I miss Harmon.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Is Cataldo taking the first week off, prior to high mtns? He was off the back first climb yesterday. Same today.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    5live sports extra commentary start delayed from 3pm to 4pm :-(

Apparently a headwind is to blame, leaving the riders behind schedule. Suspect it's more that they're having a quiet day.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Macaloon wrote:
    Is Cataldo taking the first week off, prior to high mtns? He was off the back first climb yesterday. Same today.

He looked rather unwell I thought.
  • RoadPainter
    there is a long long way too go and Paulo could struggle to hang on if the gc guys have a dig anyway

Yep, expect there'll be digs aplenty today. I see three potential wins for the other GC contenders: take time from Wiggo, increase chance of bonus secs, drop Paolini so Wiggo gets pink and ensuing impact on Sky resources.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited May 2013
    Could be some spills on the descents looking at that weather.

Edit - and the motorbike riders aren't helping much either!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Turfle wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

He looked rather unwell I thought.

According to Cyclingnews feed......

"Cataldo is off the back again. He's been suffering with illness for the last few days"
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Macaloon wrote:

Not a well lad, according to the team website's report yesterday. Stomach problems, no sleep, that kind of thing
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549

Yep, expect there'll be digs aplenty today. I see three potential wins for the other GC contenders: take time from Wiggo, increase chance of bonus secs, drop Paolini so Wiggo gets pink and ensuing impact on Sky resources.

I can't see Wiggins being all that bothered by being dumped into pink early. He's been there before in the tour. He won't be pressured to ride any differently. More interviews and podiums, but I'm sure he can handle that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RCS SFx department working overtime. Dry-ice over the summit.

[Thanks for Cataldo medical bulletins]
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    A Nibali crash on the descent? What was that I heard?

Bum, I've got to leave for a meeting soon. Just as it was getting interesting.

The Giro, never fails to surprise.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • smithy21
    edited May 2013
    Nibs down. Bike from a teammate and on his way again slowly- looked to be in wrong gear rather than injured.
  • frenchfighter
    Actually, looked like a wheel change only. He chased through the cars at ridiculous speed and regained contact. Tough one though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Just a wheel.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    BBC reporting Nibali had a mechanical not a crash.
  • RoadPainter

I can't see Wiggins being all that bothered by being dumped into pink early. He's been there before in the tour. He won't be pressured to ride any differently. More interviews and podiums, but I'm sure he can handle that.
    I don't see it as too much impact on Wiggo - more an impact on team who would have to eat more wind at front of the bunch.

Given the route, Saturday has always looked likely - which is pretty early to be getting it. I suspect Sky would be delighted for a break to stay away some time soon.
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2013
    No love for this stage but it is pretty good.

This move by Sylvain for AG2R is tasty.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Go Sylvain!!!
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    WTF are Sky up to?

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    Sky come to the front with one rider plus Henao and Wiggins tucked in. Nibali, Aru and Evans right there. Di Luca on Wiggins wheel. Cant see Paolini right now but he was looking good just a short while ago.

Not an easy climb this but can set a good tempo on it.

Gap was out to 1.15 but now at 30 secs after Sky upped the pace from Katusha. 13k to race.
    Contador is the Greatest