Tour of Turkey *spoilers*

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Ever seen a team tweet something like this on their official Twitter feed?

Team Saxo-Tinkoff ‏@TeamSaxoTinkoff 8m A VERY surprising stage win by Mustafa Sayar #tur2013. #Teamsaxotinkoff's Rory Sutherland finished side by side with Berhane.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Just reading twitter now & this came up

Race Radio ‏@TheRaceRadio 17m
    A lot of disbelief at the Tour of Turkey right now......

Unfortunate Kritik ‏@THUNK4U 16m@TheRaceRadio
    can you exapnd for us mere mortals please? just trying to keep up ;)

@TheRaceRadio An unknown Turku team rider has completely blown away the field

Seems to be quite a few people on twitter not quite believing what they have just seen.

Assume that winners/top 3 in the TOT will have to go to give a sample?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

Team Saxo-Tinkoff ‏@TeamSaxoTinkoff 8m A VERY surprising stage win by Mustafa Sayar #tur2013. #Teamsaxotinkoff's Rory Sutherland finished side by side with Berhane.

Yep. And it sucks nearly as much as Quintana being roasted by those clowns after Pais Vasco. I've got both eyebrows and middle digits raised, but don't like the lynch mob.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Grabovsky has a twin brother.
    Expect the same "result" as last year.
    Could the home team actually end up killing off this expanding race?

On the bright side, it made everybody else look completely clean.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:

Yep. And it sucks nearly as much as Quintana being roasted by those clowns after Pais Vasco. I've got both eyebrows and middle digits raised, but don't like the lynch mob.

Ok. I've taken issue with that myself in other circs.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    sportvan wrote:
    160th out of 162 finishers last year. Quite an improvement.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Just reading twitter now & this came up

Race Radio ‏@TheRaceRadio 17m
    A lot of disbelief at the Tour of Turkey right now......

Unfortunate Kritik ‏@THUNK4U 16m@TheRaceRadio
    can you exapnd for us mere mortals please? just trying to keep up ;)

@TheRaceRadio An unknown Turku team rider has completely blown away the field

Seems to be quite a few people on twitter not quite believing what they have just seen.

Assume that winners/top 3 in the TOT will have to go to give a sample?

Who'd have thought that hey? :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    I haven't seen today's stage which sounds more dubious but I know on Tuesday people were commenting and I didn't see anything that suspect in his ride. He just looked like a traditional climber who had managed well on a hilly stage against 3rd or 4th rate climbers albeit using an unusually high gear. It wasn't as though he had been giving Contador or someone a pasting. But if this was anything like last year's debacle then I'll fear the worst.
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    Ranking - Cycling - Road 2013

Men Elite UCI Africa Tour Ranking Individual select season 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009

Mustafa SAYAR (Turkey)
    Current rank: 7
    Current points: 96
    UCI Code: TUR19890422

Date Event Rank Result PaR PcR Class
    23 Mar 2013 Tour de Blida 2 30 30 2.2
    15 Mar 2013 Tour d'Algérie 2 30 30 2.2
    16 Mar 2013 Circuit d'Alger 5 10 10 1.2
    21 Mar 2013 Tour de Blida (Stage 1) 1 8 8 2.2
    23 Mar 2013 Tour de Blida (Stage 3) 2 5 5 2.2
    15 Mar 2013 Tour d'Algérie (Stage 5) 2 5 5 2.2
    22 Mar 2013 Tour de Blida (Stage 2, General) 1 4 4 2.2
    21 Mar 2013 Tour de Blida (Stage 1, General) 1 4 4 2.2
    PaR: UCI points according to Rank, PcR: UCI points calculated in Ranking
    * Not allowed to receive points
    ** Not amongst best results
  • danlikesbikes
    Pross wrote:

Who'd have thought that hey? :wink:

Does seem to be the modern rant mechanism.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Pross wrote:
    I haven't seen today's stage which sounds more dubious but I know on Tuesday people were commenting and I didn't see anything that suspect in his ride. He just looked like a traditional climber who had managed well on a hilly stage against 3rd or 4th rate climbers albeit using an unusually high gear. It wasn't as though he had been giving Contador or someone a pasting. But if this was anything like last year's debacle then I'll fear the worst.

I don't think it was as bad as Grabovski (who one minute was leading the peloton in chasing down non-contenders on the flat, then following attacks, then attacking, and doing it every single day), but it was certainly more suspect than his ride the other day. He made very good pro climbers like Edet and Bagot look very, very ordinary.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452

Oh the irony.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I didn't see the stage so I don't know how daft it looked, but the PCS link above showed some consistently good results in 2.2 stage races. Maybe he's just a 24 year old who hasn't really been given a decent chance yet. Or maybe is sloshed with EPO. Who really knows? Was is that much different than JTL last year (I repeat I didn't actually see it)?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited April 2013
    andyp wrote:

Oh the irony.

What? That it was A VERY surprising win?. Can't hardly disagree with that, eh.. I think you are reading too much into it.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    I hardly think Team Riis can be the one throwing stones, eh?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Are they?
  • Macaloon
    "Team Saxo-Tinkoff ‏@TeamSaxoTinkoff 8m A VERY surprising stage win by Mustafa Sayar #tur2013. "

I suppose they could be referring to his retro hairstyle*, and not his refueling habits. But I doubt it. Looks like a flat out accusation of doping to me.

*I would burn the guy for bringing this to mind
    LeoSayer.jpg
  • danlikesbikes
    Well looks like someone has kicked it back to them with;
    #TeamSaxoTinkoff Will remember to accuse all your riders of doping every time they win seeing as how your team has been so clean #tur2013
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    To be fair to the guy the hills in this years ToT havent been massive and everyone he's done , he's done in the big ring - so he is consistent and he's prbably ridden them countless times. It would be a shame if it was otherwise as its been a really entertaining race and deserves to go from strength to strength.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • danlikesbikes
    @cleat I was watching but had the sound off so didn't catch what the commentators said. But the last couple of KM's were up a good hill but there was a big enough bunch that the speed didn't look that flat out & when he went off the front it was starting to flatten out a bit from the steeper initial climb. Plus assume he had some home advantage with know the route well? So looked like a good place to put in an attack.

Seems like a few of their riders seem to like the big ring style, but guess whatever works for you carry on doing it.
  • Richmond Racer
    Herr Kittel's not best pleased

Marcel Kittel ‏@marcelkittel 9m I was not often in my life so angry about a result of someone else. And I see many people around me feeling the same. #TourofTurkey
  • Macaloon
    edited April 2013
    A German, accusing a Turk of cheating, in the Turkish President's race: in Turkey. Marcel's going for the combativity jersey?

Also, if this episode marks the beginning of riders airing their suspicions in public, I predict mayhem. But somehow I doubt top tier riders will get this treatment.

But, to be fair to the pitchforkers, the final climb profile doesn't look like the ideal big ring power candidate.
    2013_tour_of_turkey_stage6_profile.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    Just a casual comment...

Many people have been calling for riders to speak up when it comes to doping issues. Kittel has done so, previously, through his twitter feed and in a press interview - and now in relation to a rider in a race he's riding.

Be interesting to see how people react to this.
  • outsider78
    outsider78 Posts: 38
    edited April 2013
    I was actually at the finish line, (btw, I am Turkish),

I was very surprised when I saw Sayar 20-25m ahead of anyone. He walked past me to the podium, he didn't seem blown at all.

I just hope that he's got a clean victory today.

Same Turkish team winning Tour of Turkey with doping two years in a row won't be good!

Few photos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCowQgB ... e=youtu.be

http://imgur.com/a/fcBjr#6
  • Macaloon
    Twitter reaction to Marcel Kittel:

nfernandes317 5:30pm via Twitter for Android
    @100Climbs @marcelkittel I don't know what's he's talking about, he doped in Rocky 4 and got away with it
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    outsider78 wrote:
    I was actually at the finish line, (btw, I am Turkish),

I was very surprised when I saw Sayar 20-25m ahead of anyone. He walked past me to the podium, he didn't seem blown at all.

I just hope that he's got a clean victory today.

Same Turkish team winning Tour of Turkey with doping two years in a row won't be good!

Few photos:

http://imgur.com/a/fcBjr#6

Do you know anything about Sayar?

I'm looking for reasons to believe!
  • Turfle wrote:
    Do you know anything about Sayar?

I'm looking for reasons to believe!

Not a lot unfortunately, but he gave an interview to a Turkish paper after the race, he was saying that he knows all eyes will be on him because of Gabrovski. And he says he's got absolutely no business in these kind of stuff.

I guess we have to wait and see...