Your Skill

Comments

• 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    If you whistle a tune I can tell you what it is. (Thats my skill, not a chat up line).
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Seeing as... yeah...ok...got that bit..right..ahem...
    oh look: and oil products (eg. Diesel :D ), home heating :D, French :) .

I did mechanical engineering and car theft when I woz a bhoy. When I grewd up, I dids a degree in Human Resource Management so that I cud organize bhoys to nick cars on my behalf.

Wot I wants to know (apart from everything that is usefull) is:

I has been running our van on veggie oyl - click the web link on my profile. The veggie oil gets a preliminary filtration (fine mesh nylon from the garden centre), then it is put in the 'kettle' (oil drum with electric element) and heated for 6-8 hours. Left to cool and then the contaminents are drawn off. I then pump the oil through a 1mu filter sock. We then add 5-10% diesel per 25 litres of veggie oil, depending on time of year.
    I was given 350litres of home heating oil which I believe is essentially diesel and we have been adding this to the veggie oil with no apparent side effect. Are there detergents/anti-freeze/additives in diesel that is not in heating oil? Are there lubrication effects in Diesel but not in heating oil (concerns with diesel pump function) ?

Bananas in the post for you.

Aurevoir mantainent.

Ok, here we go.

Home heating oil is essentially low grade diesel almost everywhere in the world except the UK where it is kerosene, but the grade can vary (mainly in viscosity). Apparently the reason for this is due to the widespread use of Agas etc. which need a lower viscosity (thinner) oil.

UK kero has no cetane rating, whereas most heating oils do, (min 40). This is a throwback to when home heat doubled up as tractor fuel.

So you don't really know how good the cetane is in your kero, but it' s usually not bad, and you will only be improving your 'mix' by using it. Kero has very good cold properties too, so that helps reduce another weakness of bio-diesel.

Euopean Road diesel (En590) has a lubricity spec of 460 microns, but kero and heat, no, so no way of knowing. The more paraffinic the crude used to make the kero, the better the lubricity. So watch out for the injectors, but you should be OK ifnthe engine is a bit older (lower rail pressures).

Just to confuse things further as of last year, a new grade has appeared; non- road diesel. This is basically detaxed and dyed road diesel. Why? Because the EU decided that tractors, etc, can no longer use the relatively dirty heating oil, and must now use the good stuff. So, this you can use in any modern engine, but don't get caught on the road with it!

Road diesel is specced down to -15'C in winter (using additives) and zero in summer. UK kero will be better than this by its lighter nature (next up the crude distillation curve).

It's a big complex subject, we're just scratching the surface here.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    ben@31 wrote:
    Nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...

This, but even better.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    I'm a web editor and I love my job! Although when I tell people that they usually assume I'll know how to fix their computer. :?

Prior to that I worked in investment management in the city and hated it. Sold my soul for the money for a few years. But it does mean I know some stuff about finances.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    Slightly off topic but I have been asked to attend a meeting with my sons diabetic nurse on Thursday as she has concerns over his insulin care. He often leaves the house without it and doesn't seem to care about it, he is newly diagnosed and type 1 dependant needing 4 injections daily.

Fairly typical reaction, quite difficult to face up to, bad enough having to just deal with being a teenager!

How many times a day does he test his blood glucose, how high does it go and for how long if he 'forgets his insulin?

Short term high numbers aren't an immediate danger but long term complications are. I have neuropathy (nerve damage) in my toes, feet, knees, hands etc caused by long term high glucose, really painful, couldn't walk for four months, THERE IS NO KNOWN PAIN KILLER FOR THIS PAIN, so avoid it at all costs.

He really needs to work out carbs to insulin to exercise ratios, so that it becomes second nature, then he can almost forget about it and get on with what you want to do without worry.

The healthier habits he can develop now will make it all much easier when he gets older.

It must be really difficult as a parent having to try to help a son with diabetes, so much easier when it's yourself, if you see what I mean.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    He doesnt seem to care really, it concerns me and his mother as he is now driving and there are major factors for others as well as him if something was to go wrong.
    Living MY dream.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Student Mining Engineer.

Learning how to dig holes and such.
  • VTech
    lawrences wrote:
    Student Mining Engineer.

If you ever want practice get yourself round my house, I have lots of holes that need digging and a JCB in the corner in need of a driver :)
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    lawrences wrote:
    Student Mining Engineer.

OK. As long as it's not Pentonville University
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    VTech wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    Student Mining Engineer.

If you ever want practice get yourself round my house, I have lots of holes that need digging and a JCB in the corner in need of a driver :)

Man, I can't believe you have your own personal JCB! I'm so jealous! :mrgreen:
  • VTech
    It sounded like a great idea at the time, the wife wasnt so happy though.
    I also bought a tractor at the same time but thats far more difficult to work.
    Living MY dream.
  • lawrences
    VTech wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    Student Mining Engineer.

Cool you have a JCB.

As for your kind offer of digging holes I suggest drilling and blasting. What could possibly go wrong.

P.S I'm just up the road from Stratford living with the parents at the moment. I'll shout hi Vtech to the next FELT AR I see.
  • lawrences
    VTech wrote:
    It sounded like a great idea at the time, the wife wasnt so happy though.
    I also bought a tractor at the same time but thats far more difficult to work.

What's the deepest hole you can dig with your JCB? :P
  • VTech
    Ive dug this with it (well, I helped, the builders did most).

holey.jpg

Its 9m x 9m and 3m deep.
    Living MY dream.
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    I do lighting in da theatre business. If you need a ladder climbed, I'm your man!
  • bernithebiker
    Is it a nuclear shelter?
  • lawrences
    I think it's for the wife.
  • VTech
    Its a games room, the new garage is going on top.
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just to confuse things further as of last year, a new grade has appeared; non- road diesel. This is basically detaxed and dyed road diesel. Why? Because the EU decided that tractors, etc, can no longer use the relatively dirty heating oil, and must now use the good stuff. So, this you can use in any modern engine, but don't get caught on the road with it!

Are you talking about 'red diesel' ?? That's hardly a new thing - it's been around for years.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    mbthegreat wrote:
    I do lighting in da theatre business. If you need a ladder climbed, I'm your man!

I too am an ex-lampy and FOH system tech, where do you ply your trade?
  • bernithebiker
    Imposter wrote:

Are you talking about 'red diesel' ?? That's hardly a new thing - it's been around for years.

Yes, red diesel has been around for years, but the grade has changed. It used to be very basic low grade diesel, either the same as European heating oil or very similar. Older tractors and machinery were not fussy what grade of diesel they burned. It is fairly high sulphur, high density, low cetane stuff with poor cold properties.

As of last year, an EU directive has demanded that all non-road diesel be brought up to the same quality as normal road diesel, i.e. 50ppm sulphur, (ultra low) 51 cetane, lower density, better cold properties, and also a 10% bio diesel content.

It has therefore become a bit more expensive, and you have to keep it segregated from heating oil in separate tanks, as even traces of heat (1000ppm sulphur) can contaminate your good stuff and take it out of spec (>50ppm)

Make sense?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    He doesnt seem to care really, it concerns me and his mother as he is now driving and there are major factors for others as well as him if something was to go wrong.

Diabetic kit on a key ring with the car keys to that nice car you bought him, not subtle, but if he wants to drive, he has to have the right glucose levels, safer for all concerned :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    I design roads and a bit of drainage. If anyone wants a cycle circuit designed and specified I'm your man. Also, if you have any development work that needs highway design or traffic engineering advice you know who to contact. I can also help you out finding something to blame in the road that doesn't meet standards if you have a crash on your bike and want to take the modern approach by blaming someone else :lol:

Unfortunately I have zero practical skills and tend to destroy anything I touch around the house if attempting DIY.

I'm also a Level 2 cycling coaching so I can tell you have to take a corner properly on the bike and how to use your brakes properly.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Seeing as... yeah...ok...got that bit..right..ahem...
    oh look: and oil products (eg. Diesel :D ), home heating :D, French :) .

I did... long jackanory... diesel pump function) ?

Nutritional bit; Bananas in the post for you.

Some French: Aurevoir mantainent.

Ok, here we go. Mmhmm...aha..oho..aaa..I see..right...ok....

...weakness of bio-diesel. We don't do Bio-diesel, the van is proffessionally converted with a heat exhanger.

the better the lubricity. So watch out for the injectors, but you should be OK ifnthe engine is a bit older (lower rail pressures). We are replacing our sprinter with a VW LT35 - old Bosch mechanical fuel pump/system wich does not have the fuel pressure sensor mallarchy. It is not common rail.

but don't get caught on the road with it*!

It's a big complex subject, we're just scratching the surface here. Goody, there's more to come and I can be the oracle.

I was told (from an inside source) that the HMRC does not have the manpower or resources to chase up Red Diesel use in cars. In fact we have been pulled over and the van smells like a chip pan on fire, at weighbridges etc and they mentioned the smell with a smile and a tilting of the head. Not a dickie bird said about the oil as they do not assume that we are mixing the oil with a spot of diesel.

One copper was asking me all about how to convert his car as it was Peugeot - perfect for conversion.

Thank you. Ta. Merci. Gracias. Tack.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • VTech
    I wouldnt trust that, they do dip tests at least every month on the M5 J4 and M42 J1 interchange.
    If you have no tax, insurance or run red dont pass this junction.
    Living MY dream.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    VTech wrote:
    I wouldnt trust that, they do dip tests at least every month on the M5 J4 and M42 J1 interchange.
    If you have no tax, insurance or run red dont pass this junction.

If you have no tax or insurance you shouldn't really be on any road! :)
  • a lot of these skills are meaningless and will be a waste of time after WWIII.

i work in banking/financial services. I would not call it a skill. or at least if it is its a meaningless one when it comes down to the basics of life. i know a fair bit about financial instruments and what to invest in and how to get a good price on a trade etc, but they are all meangless skills that don't really need to exist in the grand scheme of things. that bothers me slightly. i come from farming stock, now that is a proper skill. my grandfather was a farmer. my father isnt a farmer but has the skills to be. i cannot fix agricultural machinery as they can. these are proper skills that are useful, providing a vital service (feeding us all). most skills now exist as the follies of the advance of human society.

i do have some other skills. i am an expert orienteerer, can survive in the great outdoors with limited resources, i am an olazabelesque long iron player, and micklesonesque with my wedges, i can bowl a heavy ball, and tie up and end, i can see of the new ball with consumate ease usually, i also know exactly what most sports managers/players/cricket captains/politicians are doing wrong, and could do a much better job than them if given the chance....

again pretty much irrelevant once it all kicks off and society needs to be rebuilt.

what tractors have u tractor owners got?
  • again pretty much irrelevant once it all kicks off and society needs to be rebuilt.
    Not sure about that. I would have thought the ability to wield golf clubs and cricket bats would come in handy at some point, albeit in the context of hand to hand combat.
    Mangeur
  • VTech
    Mine is a small kubota, for a small machine its a real beast, I've taken the engine up by another 90lbft so it packs a punch.
    Living MY dream.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    what tractors have u tractor owners got?

'Ere's my trattor... 'Rocky Rocket'

Before:

8674019735_61a00fca39_z.jpg

Middle:

8674018491_95f9310129_z.jpg

After (70hours, a lot of paint - Landrover green enamel, wiring, solenoid, scraping, wire brushing, tantrums, the odd kick, 'R' pins, link rods, welding, helicoil kit, demolished rhubarb patch on account of break failure in granny gear...):

8674020879_9ff4951833.jpg
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!