Your Skill

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    team47b wrote:
    .....Ratio of 4 to 1 protein to carbs after riding, within 30 minutes of stopping will aid muscle recovery and top up your glycogen reserves.....
    Does lager have carbs? :wink:
    Finish riding a 5:00, dinner at 7:00. Snack, I suppose.

Seriously though, thank you.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    I watch people painting gnomes. I'm retired, it fills the day.
    'fool'
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I'm a guitar technician, so I set up and/or repair stringed musical instruments. I'm also a student of many things (both formally and informally) but will not pretend to be an expert in any of them yet.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Well, as a young person and scumbag student, real 'grown-ups' tend to see me as a bit of a:

- Crass
    - Un-skilled
    - Nauseating
    - Twerp

Such is life...
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    We have a good turnaround of students going through engineering and software degrees and most tend to be excellent.
    It's really odd how much more willing to work they are on a placement than people who apply do a full time job wih a salary.
    Living MY dream.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Procrastination.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Procrastination.
    I was always keen to develop that skill but I kept putting it off. Too late now, I suppose
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Student mechanical engineer. Can do a bit of CAD, CFD and FEA. Best at 1 dimensional fluid dynamic modelling, which is what I did on my placement.

Hopefully get some kind of job in the oil and gas industry when I graduate. That or IC engines!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    My trade is electronics but I avoid mentioning it to folk in general as such is the limited understanding of how things work people always assume it means I can fix pretty much any device that is powered electrically just by pulling the covers off and looking around. 'No, I can't fix your TV/iphone/microwave/car stereo...it needs someone with access to circuit diagrams, diagnostic equipment and spare parts, some of which will be exclusive to the manufacturer' :roll:
  • EKIMIKE
    My trade is electronics

Awesome, see I have this problem with my phone - sometimes it just kind of trips out and restarts. Any ideas? If I could send it to you to have a look that would be amazing! You'd be saving me a packet.
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Procrastination.

Amen to that Brother.
  • EKIMIKE
    VTech wrote:
    We have a good turnaround of students going through engineering and software degrees and most tend to be excellent.
    It's really odd how much more willing to work they are on a placement than people who apply do a full time job wih a salary.

Ever serious. I hope you saw that I was joking?

Anyway it's not surprising that they're willing - think about how many damn graduates there are now. I'll be one of roughly a million come July, I think... Just getting a work placement is severe plum-numb. I managed to get a week at a tiny little local firm last summer and they were probably getting slightly annoyed with me because at the end of each day I was still around doing stuff when they wanted to lock up and go home. You gotta take every second you're given...

426497_552009461488784_665169508_n.png
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    My trade is electronics but I avoid mentioning it to folk in general as such is the limited understanding of how things work people always assume it means I can fix pretty much any device that is powered electrically just by pulling the covers off and looking around. 'No, I can't fix your TV/iphone/microwave/car stereo...it needs someone with access to circuit diagrams, diagnostic equipment and spare parts, some of which will be exclusive to the manufacturer' :roll:

Tell me about it - I'm currently doing a computing degree, and as soon as someone finds out, they say something along the lines of "Ah! My computer has been really slow lately - you can fix it!". It really gets on my nerves...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571

Sink blocked? I'm sure there's a plumber here somewhere!

I`m a plumber and i hate every single minute of it. :evil:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I'm a lawyer so watch your pockets.

Have been a teacher and cop in previous careers
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Jez mon wrote:
    Student mechanical engineer. Can do a bit of CAD, CFD and FEA. Best at 1 dimensional fluid dynamic modelling, which is what I did on my placement.

Hopefully get some kind of job in the oil and gas industry when I graduate. That or IC engines!

hey me too! I graduated from Kings in 1991.

Don't want to freak you out or anything but I sent off about 100 very long and detailed job applications, and never even got a sniff, so in desperation, went and worked in the City.

Never got to do any engineering, but making up for lost time now with tractors, chainsaws, boilers, etc.!
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    team47b wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    Diabetes, the pancreas, insulin, the bonk, affects of carbohydrates, protein, fats etc on exercise.

Who here is ever gonna want/need advice on carbs? :roll:
    Thread diversion but advice needed within 24 hours. :P
    Mallorca cycling - Carb load night before, at breakfast, or both?

Eat 'normally' (e.g. pasta) at eight the night before, eat cereals in milk for supper before midnight eat porridge etc for breakfast.

Dinner will ensure glycogen stores are full, supper will fuel your night time activities (sleep!) and porridge with fast acting carbs, sugar/honey will fuel short term and long until about 10.30 when you need to eat a snack, suggest a sandwich of wholemeal bread for slow release and some fast acting carb filling (Obree uses marmalade!) then it depends how long you are on the bike, eat small amount (half energy bar) once every hour, drink lots before during and after, it's probably about 21-26c, so not too hot.

Ratio of 4 to 1 protein to carbs after riding, within 30 minutes of stopping will aid muscle recovery and top up your glycogen reserves. These carbs will be absorbed into your system and will not be available as energy or be stored as fat.

Have fun, if you have time between all that eating :D

Great advice really trying to get used to actually taking the carbs and using my insulin (really have reduced the insulin since buying a bike).
    Not going to Mallorca, but today was the first that I have done any distance cycling in sunshine.
    Thanks again.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553

Teacher, copper now lawyer. You're on a downward slope fella. :wink::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    @Sodafarl

It's the delayed reaction to exercise that's difficult to allow for, woke up yesterday with 39mg/dl (or 2.16m/mol in your money) no adverse symptoms, I just got to eat some extra fast carbs before breakfast, win/win :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • VTech
    Slightly off topic but I have been asked to attend a meeting with my sons diabetic nurse on Thursday as she has concerns over his insulin care. He often leaves the house without it and doesn't seem to care about it, he is newly diagnosed and type 1 dependant needing 4 injections daily.
    Living MY dream.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    The exciting and wonderful world Bearings and Transmissions is where I do my thang!! I was an Electric Motor Rewind Engineer in a former life. I just sell all that kind of shit now.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,436
    Seeing as... yeah...ok...got that bit..right..ahem...
    oh look: and oil products (eg. Diesel :D ), home heating :D, French :) .

I did mechanical engineering and car theft when I woz a bhoy. When I grewd up, I dids a degree in Human Resource Management so that I cud organize bhoys to nick cars on my behalf.

Wot I wants to know (apart from everything that is usefull) is:

I has been running our van on veggie oyl - click the web link on my profile. The veggie oil gets a preliminary filtration (fine mesh nylon from the garden centre), then it is put in the 'kettle' (oil drum with electric element) and heated for 6-8 hours. Left to cool and then the contaminents are drawn off. I then pump the oil through a 1mu filter sock. We then add 5-10% diesel per 25 litres of veggie oil, depending on time of year.
    I was given 350litres of home heating oil which I believe is essentially diesel and we have been adding this to the veggie oil with no apparent side effect. Are there detergents/anti-freeze/additives in diesel that is not in heating oil? Are there lubrication effects in Diesel but not in heating oil (concerns with diesel pump function) ?

Bananas in the post for you.

Aurevoir mantainent.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • VTech
    Kerosene is thick basically it's what we fly small aircraft on so perfectly ok for engines.
    You will need a higher rail pressure ideally to get the better vapourisation and clean burn. Very simple fix really.
    Living MY dream.
  • Yellow Peril

Of that there is no doubt Frank, I'm Hellbound!
    @JaunePeril

• declan1 wrote:
    Tell me about it - I'm currently doing a computing degree, and as soon as someone finds out, they say something along the lines of "Ah! My computer has been really slow lately - you can fix it!". It really gets on my nerves...
    It'll get worse once you're employed, trust me, as it starts to spill over from "can you help me with my home kit" to inquiries to the effect of "fancy doing thousands of pounds worth of unpaid work for my business?". Haven't said "yes" to a request for computer-related assistance for about a decade now, with the exception of family and the odd friend.
    Mangeur
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    VTech wrote:
    Kerosene is thick basically it's what we fly small aircraft on so perfectly ok for engines.
    You will need a higher rail pressure ideally to get the better vapourisation and clean burn. Very simple fix really.

Is kerrosene not just paraffin here in UK?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,436

If YP was on a downward slope, that f*cker would have done his 25 min 10 by now.
    (if the 'downward slope' was a 1 in 3 :D )
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • VTech
    Ballysmate wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Is kerrosene not just paraffin here in UK?

Yes, most places apart from USA.
    Living MY dream.
  • Yellow Peril

If YP was on a downward slope, that f*cker would have done his 25 min 10 by now.
    (if the 'downward slope' was a 1 in 3 :D )

Unfortunately I suffer from a hereditary condition known as being a talentless tw@t.
    @JaunePeril

• metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    ben@31 wrote:
    Nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...

Chicks only date guys with sweet skills :lol:

Or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvw68In ... r_embedded
    tick - tick - tick
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    declan1 wrote:
    I'm a pianist - passed my DipLCM on Wednesday. I've had a permanent smile on my face ever since :D
    Wear long fingered gloves when you cycle!