Sky & The Classics

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    mroli wrote:
    Very few teams have a no 2 as strong as Porte/Froome - Uran would be a lot of team's no 1 rider and Cataldo an adequate third man?
    Kiryenka/Rogers = Siutsou/Zandio
    Early climbs sorted by Dombrowski and Kennaugh (also on flat pulling duty with Pate who presumably will do 100s of miles on the front).
    Knees is Wiggins' bodyguard of choice.

Still pretty strong even by WT standards...

No "fast" man - surely someone has to contest the sprints (Swift or Sutton?)

Sky dont seem interested in GT sprintage where they're seriously aiming for the top step, by the look of it. Swifty - the unluckiest bugger in the peloton when it comes to injuries - is back on the rehab road for the hundredth time anyway, after he crashed in the Challenge Mallorca series. Sutton's still not at 100% after problems last year with his back, though he rode P-R.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cataldo's next race is Trentino:

Seemingly confirmed Trentino squad (has bib numbers): Wiggins, Cataldo, Dombrowski, Kennaugh, Knees, Pate, Suitsou, Zandio.

With the addition of Uran, that looks like their Giro team

Train & race together ethos, think I'd agree with you there.

If that is the team I can see Wiggins only having Uran for company when the really serious mountains appear, maybe Cataldo as well. Dombrowski and Kennaugh are not proven at this level and the rest are more for the flat/rolling stages. Definitely lacking a Froome/Porte/Kiryenka/Rogers (I know he's gone to Saxo) type that can set a really nasty tempo on the bigger climbs.

They don't need to set a really nasty tempo though. They just need to make sured nobody gains much. There's about two hours of ITT in this race so if Wiggins finishes in a front group of a dozen every day, that's fine by him..

Wiggins is going to gain time in the TTs, but lets not forget that Hesjedal, Gesink and Evans can all ride a decent TT on their day, even if Wiggins gains 2-3 minutes in the TTs that's not a huge advantage when it comes to the really steep stuff.

I still think he can win, I just think he'd like another strong climber in the team to help him close gaps etc when it gets nasty.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

Catalado for sure will be with Wiggins and Uran for the final high stuff. Also Siutsou is basically very similar to Kiryienka - hard as nails and a very good climber. Just didnt get the chance to see it so much last year as he crashed out of the Tour on stage 2. Dont forget that Siutsou finished 9th in the 2011 Giro when he was with HTC, when he riding for Cav rather than the team riding for him for GC.

Easy to forget about him so much so that I had. If he is half as good as roboyenka then would make it a different prospect.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Richmond Racer
    RichN95 wrote:

Seemingly confirmed Trentino squad (has bib numbers): Wiggins, Cataldo, Dombrowski, Kennaugh, Knees, Pate, Suitsou, Zandio.

Train & race together ethos, think I'd agree with you there.

If that is the team I can see Wiggins only having Uran for company when the really serious mountains appear, maybe Cataldo as well. Dombrowski and Kennaugh are not proven at this level and the rest are more for the flat/rolling stages. Definitely lacking a Froome/Porte/Kiryenka/Rogers (I know he's gone to Saxo) type that can set a really nasty tempo on the bigger climbs.

They don't need to set a really nasty tempo though. They just need to make sured nobody gains much. There's about two hours of ITT in this race so if Wiggins finishes in a front group of a dozen every day, that's fine by him..

Wiggins is going to gain time in the TTs, but lets not forget that Hesjedal, Gesink and Evans can all ride a decent TT on their day, even if Wiggins gains 2-3 minutes in the TTs that's not a huge advantage when it comes to the really steep stuff.

I still think he can win, I just think he'd like another strong climber in the team to help him close gaps etc when it gets nasty.

Evans looks a spent force...but Nibbles definitely seem to have improved his TTing.

There's also the matter of those pesky time bonuses...
  • Are there time bonuses in mountain stages? Not sure about Nibali's long tting, he's always seemed good in short distances.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893

Again, can't speak for accuracy but Pro Cycling Stats suggests the current starters for the Giro include:

Wiggins, Henao, Lopez, Kiryienka, Dombrowski, Cataldo, Uran and Pate. They list Kennaugh as a reserve. Were that accurate, it leaves one slot open still, perhaps with one of the Trentino contenders riding for it?

Ultimately it's all speculation this far out. However, I think the Trentino squad is merely those stage racers that are not doing the bulk of the Ardennes as opposed to an indicator of the Giro squad.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Milton50 wrote:
    If the goal is just to win a classic/semi-classic e.g. the likes of E3,GW,DVV then, yes, it seems a touch modest given that they've already had a cluster of results around the podium in those races.

If you count Cavendish's win at KBK last year as world champ then it's been achieved....

I've heard it said that Wiggins is doing LBL but not amstel
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    edhornby wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    If the goal is just to win a classic/semi-classic e.g. the likes of E3,GW,DVV then, yes, it seems a touch modest given that they've already had a cluster of results around the podium in those races.

If you count Cavendish's win at KBK last year as world champ then it's been achieved....

I've heard it said that Wiggins is doing LBL but not amstel

Didn't Sutton win that the year before as well?
  • danlikesbikes
    Looks like it could be an interesting few weeks if Gilbert can carry his form over from today & if Sagan is resting now for bigger races
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have been thinking about this, not sure if its already been mentioned ( I couldnt be bothered to read the whole thread).

But surely racing some of the other classics should be a good start, get some racing miles in the legs, I know i read somewhere that for a GT its fine training at tiede as its all about threshold, 20km climbs at x watts. where as classics and other 1 day races are much more fluid!

Sky as a classic/one day squad simply don't race enough IMHO.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • inkyfingers
    Looks like it could be an interesting few weeks if Gilbert can carry his form over from today & if Sagan is resting now for bigger races

Sagan will likely win Amstel, but not Fleche or Liege (not sure he's even riding them).

J Rod obviously the favourite for Fleche, though I think Henao could do well there.

Liege could be quite wide open, especially if Gilbert is not at his best still, if he isn't then I could see J Rod doing the double now he's worked out how to win classics.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    pip to win all 3 again.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • danlikesbikes

Sagan will likely win Amstel, but not Fleche or Liege (not sure he's even riding them).

J Rod obviously the favourite for Fleche, though I think Henao could do well there.

Liege could be quite wide open, especially if Gilbert is not at his best still, if he isn't then I could see J Rod doing the double now he's worked out how to win classics.

Understand that Sagan is missing a few races but can't remember which ones TBH but good to see Gilbert is finally coming good, but guess the real test will be on the weekend & probably over the next few.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Rich's guide to winning a one day race:

Step 1: Look at the race parcours
    Step 2: Grade the parcours according to the difficulty of the key climbs, with bonus marks for 100 year old farm tracks.
    Step 3: Match the score to the rider on Rich's Spectrum of Talent (TM): Cavendish - Boonen - Cancellara - Sagan - Gilbert - Rodriguez
    Step 4: Buy relevant rider.

(High ranking scientists are trying to combine my Spectrum of Talent with Iain's Chipometer to form a Unifying Theory of Classics)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • danlikesbikes
    RichN95 wrote:

Step 2: Grade the parcours according to the difficulty of the key climbs, with bonus marks for 100 year old farm tracks.
    Step 3: Match the score to the rider on Rich's Spectrum of Talent (TM): Cavendish - Boonen - Cancellara - Sagan - Gilbert - Rodriguez

(High ranking scientists are trying to combine my Spectrum of Talent with Iain's Chipometer to form a Unifying Theory of Classics)

Winner winner chicken dinner of the quote of the day IMHO
  • RichN95 wrote:
    a Unifying Theory of Classics

Is Bike Radar ready for this? It might melt.
  • argyllflyer

Understand that Sagan is missing a few races but can't remember which ones TBH but good to see Gilbert is finally coming good, but guess the real test will be on the weekend & probably over the next few.

Sags is doing Amstel but is not doing the other two.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    RichN95 wrote:

You'll never be able to create a unified theory unless you include a 'panache' index. Unfortunately, it's quantum in nature and so mucks up everything.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    I do wonder if in 2 or 3 years time everyone who has scoffed/been disappointed by Sky's classics campaigns will have egg on their faces? In the same way everyone scoffed at a) Sky's approach to everything and b) the Grand Tour campaign
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You'll never be able to create a unified theory unless you include a 'panache' index. Unfortunately, it's quantum in nature and so mucks up everything.

My research work so far suggests we can overcome quantum effects, particularly the tricky matter of Panache Superposition, if we include the Merckx Boson in calculations.
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • inkyfingers
    I do wonder if in 2 or 3 years time everyone who has scoffed/been disappointed by Sky's classics campaigns will have egg on their faces? In the same way everyone scoffed at a) Sky's approach to everything and b) the Grand Tour campaign

Whatever the end result those sorts will never admit they were wrong. When Sky started out and were rubbish at stage races they laughed, now they are good they say it's because they are doping.
  • danlikesbikes
    Well this just popped up from BR on Facebook - looks like its a classics race so thought I'd share http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-In9cCbZ8AZk/U ... lBongo.gif
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    chrisday wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

My research work so far suggests we can overcome quantum effects, particularly the tricky matter of Panache Superposition, if we include the Merckx Boson in calculations.

'Panache' is like Intelligent Design, it's just a sneaky way for some extremists to smuggle their ancient BS philosophy into an adult scientific debate
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • argyllflyer
    Sky's squads for the rest of the month:

http://www.teamsky.com/races/0,27631,20 ... l#month=04
  • Ed_tron
    Ed_tron Posts: 23
    Sky's squads for the rest of the month:

http://www.teamsky.com/races/0,27631,20 ... l#month=04

Yup, JTL is up for all three. I hope he gets a chance to shine.

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 07,00.html
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    thought wiggins was going to ride L-B-L. Disappointed that he's not in it
  • Richmond Racer
    heavy_rat wrote:

Me too. As I've pointed out elsewhere, he's going to wear away the tarmac on Mt Tiede and Sa Calobra if he makes many more efforts up 'em
  • argyllflyer
    Trentino, likely to see him trying more of those explosive attacks that he displayed in Catalunya and spoke of thereafter, finishes on the Friday so scooting up to Belgium for an early start on the Sunday might not be seen as the best use of his weekend?

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/ ... o-d-Italia
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    heavy_rat wrote:

Me too. As I've pointed out elsewhere, he's going to wear away the tarmac on Mt Tiede and Sa Calobra if he makes many more efforts up 'em

There's not that much tarmac as there is.

Lots of tourniquets and needles, though, obviously...
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    chrisday wrote:

I do hope that's not related in any way to the Eddie Boasson?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey