MTBers who don't actually go biking - rubbish men / dating!

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Women think in wierd ways....

i do sports i like...
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    MissCMC wrote:
    Well there you go then all sorted. Why do you think girls take up mountain biking? Men who ride bikes tend to have nice legs. Ulterior motive in most things in life.

don't you mean roadies who shave there legs too look all girlie? or do you like the covered in mud routine
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Women think in wierd ways....

i do sports i like...

Yoga has a nice view, its almost exclusively done by women (well it is where I go) and it helps your mountain biking. You don't have to see it as a sport in itself either, just see it as "limbering up"
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • MissCMC
    MissCMC Posts: 545
    No - men should not have smoother legs than me. There is something rather perverse in that.

And we don't think in weird ways. We just think differently or place a different priority on things. I only do what I like or want to do as the limited time I have I want to enjoy (apart from work - but that's a means to an end and pays for me to do what I like when I want to and can do it.).
    Sarcasm: Because punching someone in the face is illegal.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    unless you want to do something when you're at work, which it seems is most of your life.
  • MissCMC
    Pays the bills unfortunately... And work put in now will mean career development and more freedom in the future.
  • Thewaylander
    yarp when your to old to enjoy it hehe
  • MissCMC
    Not necessarily. I can enjoy it even more since my salary review last Friday! And what else do I have to do with my life apart from work hard and play hard (cliché I know), no kiddies to look after and intending to have none to look after and no man to bother me. If staying busy distracts me then that's fine with me.
  • Thewaylander
    I don't say it's wrong i just like to tease because i'm definately not a work a holic.
  • MissCMC
    No I can tell! Neither am I today.
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    I used to work any hours given which could be 37 - 70 a week. problem is i'm on salary so only get paid for 37 hours and over the last 2 years my tolerance of long hours has wavered.
    But that said it's a secure job and the pay isn't bad considering all i do is make the noises for the dinosaurs (that may be a lie) I work on a flexi time basis so if we're quiet i can take time off.
    Moving in to a new flat in August so can finally get back to some form of normality. I've given up on the whole looking to date thing as i've realised that i'm doing ok on my own and i can actually just do what i want.
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    MissCMC wrote:
    Pays the bills unfortunately... And work put in now will mean career development and more freedom in the future.

see that really doesn't make sense to me - the career development thing yes. but the work yourself so much you have no time to do anything else - no.

I used to work 80 hour weeks and be away from home 2 or 3 nights a week every week? why? I missed nearly 2 years of my sons life and tons of parties, leaving do's etc etc.

I have now changed jobs and took a 2k a year pay cut. (I still probably make a hell of a lot less that you do) but I have enough to have 2 houses. 2 nice cars and I've got my own business as well that'll hopefully mean I can retire by the time i'm 50. and I only work about 45 hours a week for this

life is too short as I've said before
  • EH_Rob
    yup. i don't have any mortgages, cars or children. i'll have to work until im 70 anyway so there's no point working too hard just now. id prefer to enjoy being young instead and worry about working hard later, the one thing money can't really help with is your age.

ask any old rich person if they'd rather be rich or young. anyone who says rich is either lying or wrong.
  • MissCMC
    But then you have different priorities to me. I don't have kids or ties to anything and like to keep myself busy so that I don't sit on the sofa evening and night watching awful tv. I currently have no intention of moving in the direction of children either so everything I do now is for my own future and making things better for me. If I choose to work lots and play lots too then that's my choice for my life. If people find my skewed priorities difficult to deal with that's their problem. My mum doesn't understand it and never will but she has lived her life for her children, my youngest sibling is 6, and sometimes talking to her now she regrets not having had her own life and worked for her career, and that's a mistake that I am not going to make.

And I'm certainly not going to throw myself into something that doesn't fit just because society and convention tell you it should, like I see a number of my friends around me doing at the moment.
  • EH_Rob
    yup, we have different priorities. im not saying you're wrong and im right, just interested.

what i find strange is that you talk about work being your choice etc, so i presume you don't hate it. but you also seem to frequently whinge about how much you 'have' to do and the number of hours you 'have' to work. i just don't get that, if you choose to do something and hate it why would you bother? unless of course you just like to moan about it.

also, there are more choices to be made than one of children or career. in fact, there's a hell of a lot more to life than both.
  • welshkev
    MissCMC wrote:
    But then you have different priorities to me. I don't have kids or ties to anything and like to keep myself busy so that I don't sit on the sofa evening and night watching awful tv. I currently have no intention of moving in the direction of children either so everything I do now is for my own future and making things better for me. If I choose to work lots and play lots too then that's my choice for my life. If people find my skewed priorities difficult to deal with that's their problem. My mum doesn't understand it and never will but she has lived her life for her children, my youngest sibling is 6, and sometimes talking to her now she regrets not having had her own life and worked for her career, and that's a mistake that I am not going to make.

And I'm certainly not going to throw myself into something that doesn't fit just because society and convention tell you it should, like I see a number of my friends around me doing at the moment.

as above, I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that I don't understand it. when I was 23 I moved to spain, basically had a party and got drunk for 3 and a half years. I learnt to speak Spanish, met some great friends that I still see now. I was 31 when I had my son, so not young. I think I lived a lot of my life and now I can concentrate on making my money.

but if everyone was the same, life would be boring. I still just think you're hiding :wink:
  • ol\'gregg
    edited April 2013
    I'm just selfish :) no plans to have kids (as i'm missing the key part that's needed for that nonsense)
    BUT after a 5 year relationship i'm realising that now i can do my own thing and I can be happy on my own and just enjoy life and take things at my pace. If i work late then so be it, if i want a day off to do nothing that's fine and if i want to go out drinking all night, go out on the bike or go to some vw shows i can. (other car shows are available)
    Not to say that my relationship hindered that. It was a great 5 years and i wouldn't change it but i'm nearly 34, single and realising that my life is exactly that. Mine ...:D
    In the words of the littlest hobo : Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,
    Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

I've stopped worrying what other people think of me and what they think of decisions i make for my life. No time tyo be bitter about things i can no longer control or have passed.
    Life's too short to let people and past failures get you down so just hang on and try and have the time of your life...
  • Gazlar
    I understand the principles, but also having ties doesnt mean you can't enjoy yourself and further your career, but I understand what you mean that given that is what you want to do then you need to be very exacting in what you need in a person to support that, otherwise there is no point to it ultimately.

For a long time I was of the opinion that I wanted to enjoy my life as it is now and then at the age of 40, then consider having children but then having been to a festival where I was surrounded by young families and kids, I realised, do you know what? I want kids because I'm going to have so much fun making my kids little farking awesome little dudes or dudettes, so I have very much altered the plan, although as this is me, I have a very defined timescale in mind. But this new motivation to have kids has also motivated me at work and has led to me seeking out professional development at work so I can climb that ladder and be able to provide more, stop working shifts etc.

So is this true of you MissCmc, you have a life plan and there is scope within your day to day living to accept changes, such as a fella, but it has to be very much compatible with your vision. Or is it you think that by working hard when you are younger will give you the freedom in a later stage of your life to have that carefree and unplanned life but with the backdrop of a solid financial foundation to support it?
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • EH_Rob
    ol\'gregg wrote:
    no plans to have kids (as i'm missing the key part that's needed for that nonsense)

its a shame you have lost your reproductive organs at such a tender age.
  • ol\'gregg
    EH_Rob wrote:
    ol\'gregg wrote:
    no plans to have kids (as i'm missing the key part that's needed for that nonsense)

its a shame you have lost your reproductive organs at such a tender age.

I know but they were taking up extra weight
  • EH_Rob
    you did right, they're no good for aero either.
  • MissCMC
    I spent 7 years of my life in a relationship bending over backwards for someone else. And when that ended (not of my choice) I realised that I had missed out on a hell of a lot professionally because I was wrapped up in supporting someone else with their development. I also missed out on being with my family a lot because they didn't particularly like my family and the relationship between my parents and I soured considerably because of it.

Yes there is space for someone in my life and if I think it will work then something will give, concessions and compromises will be made, be that the amount of time I spend at the farm (that's part of my inheritance so working there is investment in the future and it's also somewhere I love being to get away from it all), or training or working. And I would expect compromises to be made by both parties. And yes I do like my job - like everyone I imagine some days are worse than others - I have had a run of rubbish but it's looking better at the moment so less whinging.

I'm not going to end up like my mum, who has spent 32 years of her life bringing up children (and still has one of 6), and has realised since they are all now in school and leaving home and busy on weekends and gaining their independence that actually her work and career stopped and she wont ever achieve what she is capable of had she worked younger and got into a strong position before stepping off the gas.

I spend enough time with my younger siblings to know that I am not designed for children of my own. I get on great with them because I am basically a big kid myself and like nothing more than spending a weekend hanging out with them. It's a great leveller and incredibly relaxing. But in my lifetime I have changed the nappies of 4 younger siblings, dealt with being a second mum to all of them, spent time at home looking after them when my parents have been ill, dealt with teenagers crying down the phone in the middle of the night that they hate their lives and are running away from home, completed application forms for university and revised for enough exams/done enough home work to last me forever. I wouldn't change it for the world but it's not how I see my life in the future.
    If that's selfish so be it but I'm not giving up my priorities for someone else again as when that happened I was the one who lost out.
  • Thewaylander
    I dont want kids.. I don't want a career.

I want to just enjoy my life :) i look around at the guys i work with here till 11 at night at times and the only thing i think is fark that.. very few jobs in the world i could enjoy and the ones i would are pretty rare.

need to get out on your bike more though ;)
  • welshkev
    I hope you don't think I was having a go at you? I wasn't :D

I was actually going to say that it sounds as if you were a second mum to your siblings, that sounds stressful. I had to worry about ol'greg stealing girls off me but that was about it :lol:

and if you'd rather a career than children who are we to judge? we're hardly the pinnacle of society :lol:
  • Gazlar
    No thats a sensible approach to things. If you have a clear focus on your life and you know exactly what the space is in it for "other" then theres no point filling it with something that doesnt fit. Especially on the kids front if you have had plenty of experience of that then you know pretty well that yeah, its not for you.

Good luck to you though, theres nothing wrong with having a clear vision for your future
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • ol\'gregg
    welshkev wrote:
    I hope you don't think I was having a go at you? I wasn't :D

I was actually going to say that it sounds as if you were a second mum to your siblings, that sounds stressful. I had to worry about ol'greg stealing girls off me but that was about it :lol:and if you'd rather a career than children who are we to judge? we're hardly the pinnacle of society :lol:

When did that happen?? Apart from that girl who worked in Browns in Bristol.
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Was on various dating sites for a while, Main hobby was "Active mtb'r", Got a lot of replies/meets from girls that were into mtbing, But alas they were predominantly heavyset with a bso that they had ridden once. I don't want kids, appreciate my freedom too much, and made sure peeps new it, but still the buggy brigade rolled up. Still, a free dinners a free dinner init.

Of the few girls that matched my criteria, they were so masculine/butch that it was scary.

(Note to self: Don't question sexuality/gender of these girls ;))

Peace out
  • MissCMC
    Thing is I see my friends around me settling down and having kids and guess who is the one giving up their job and their career and their future to look after them. It definitely isn't the male side of the partnership. That's their choice but it wouldn't be mine.

And yes I have been like a second mum to them and I will continue to be. I don't mind it because after me they are the most important thing in my life. And you can certainly teach them some pretty cool things and don't have to deal with the fall out of their bad behaviour as parents do.

I don't think that anyone is getting at me. I will just stick up for what I believe in. I know it's freaky being a female with no strongly ticking biological clock but if that's what will be then that's what will be.
  • Adam k
    Adam k Posts: 37
    My ex girlfriend hated me riding and spending money on my bike I stopped doin weight training for riding.again she didn't like that but I do what I want etc so she dumped me last year since then found out a lot of stuff about her messing round with some of my family members which iv cut of out my life etc.now iv slowly started sorting my life out and I'd say riding has helped me a lot iv gone from 19st to 15st in about 7 months.id say a female that would tick my boxers would be someone who likes riding bikes lots of tattoos and brown hair but can't have everything can I lol
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Adam k wrote:
    My ex girlfriend hated me riding and spending money on my bike I stopped doin weight training for riding.again she didn't like that but I do what I want etc so she dumped me last year since then found out a lot of stuff about her messing round with some of my family members which iv cut of out my life etc.now iv slowly started sorting my life out and I'd say riding has helped me a lot iv gone from 19st to 15st in about 7 months.id say a female that would tick my boxers would be someone who likes riding bikes lots of tattoos and brown hair but can't have everything can I lol

Damn, her doing that to you, with your own family... :/ Good luck finding that girl for you mate :wink: You deserve a nice girl if your ex did that to you.

Cycling is better than weight lifting, well, i do alot of cycling and less weight training, since i prefer it. :)