Milan - San Remo *spoiler*

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    That was brilliant.

Amazing from Ciolek. And hats off to Stannard and Phinney too. Not the body types you'd expect to be up there.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
    Hah.... Well, I didn't come close. Sealed envelope from last night had: Sagan, Cancellara, Farrar. Congrats to Ciolek.

So even his team manager does nt rate him! :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sagan seemed to ride that with a bit too much cockiness. Chased down wn awful lot and took the sprint up too early.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    fantastic end to the race, Sagan did slightly too much. fair play to Ciolek, timed his sprint excellently! :D
  • Sad for Sagan. Think he did too much work on the descent.
    Sad for Canc. But expected.
    Sad for Stannard. But absolutely in love with him :D Was ssoooooooo hoping Sagan would leave it a bit longer to chase so he could get away

Very happy for Ciolek. Gives OPQS a bit of a kick in the teeth
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Used to room with Cav when they were both at T-Mobile. At the time, it was considered that Gerald Ciolek was the one with a golden future, except gradually it was Cav who eclipsed him. Rather totally, it has to be said.

But I felt sorry for him when he signed for MTN-Quebekka (?sp)- completely thrilled for him now though.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    1 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) MTN - Qhubeka 5:37:20
    2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Cannondale
    3 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) RadioShack Leopard
    4 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Omega Pharma Quick Step
    5 Luca Paolini (Ita) Team Katusha
    6 Ian Stannard (GBr) Sky Pro Cycling
    7 Taylor Phinney (USA) BMC Racing
    8 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha 0:00:14
    9 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Omega Pharma Quick Step
    10 Bernhard Eisel (Aut) Sky Pro Cycling
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cav makes it over the Poggio in the front group.

I would have said Chavanel and Stannard were the front group. Cavendish was in the 3rd.
  • Sagan seemed to ride that with a bit too much cockiness. Chased down wn awful lot and took the sprint up too early.

Overconfident. Lead the sprint out far to early.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Cav makes it over the Poggio in the front group.

I would have said Chavanel and Stannard were the front group. Cavendish was in the 3rd.

OK sir, but you know what I meant. :o :roll:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    Sagan seemed to ride that with a bit too much cockiness. Chased down wn awful lot and took the sprint up too early.

Ciolek wasn't exactly on his wheel though. And in a shorter sprint I would say that Ciolek would have beaten him by more.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Stannard definitely wasted at Sky. Would be protected rider number 1 in other teams.

He did it all by himself with class. No silly games, just this is my power and I'm going. Refreshing.

So pleased there was no EBH or someone he had to just soft tap on the front of the peloton for and could race as he wanted and for himself. Making the fans happy rather than turning superb riders into superb domestiques.

Great work with Chavanel. Happy they dropped the Russian and were going hammer and tongs.

Sagan did well to make a few moves. Happy for Ciolek.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Ciolek:
    ciolek-solestar.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Sagan seemed to ride that with a bit too much cockiness. Chased down wn awful lot and took the sprint up too early.

Ciolek wasn't exactly on his wheel though. And in a shorter sprint I would say that Ciolek would have beaten him by more.

Ciolek was right on his wheel. He stuck to it like gkue through the last km. Sagan takes it up and Ciolek jumps off the wheel at about 150m.

Cancellara sprinted to 3rd in the saddle!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited March 2013
    Tusher wrote:
    Used to room with Cav when they were both at T-Mobile. At the time, it was considered that Gerald Ciolek was the one with a golden future, except gradually it was Cav who eclipsed him. Rather totally, it has to be said.
    That changed in Sacremento when Cavendish led out Ciolek who just couldn't hold the wheel and the world saw a new fantastic sprinter who looked round in puzzlement about where the peloton was, as he freewheeled to 4th place.
    Cav was 9th today.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Tusher wrote:

But I felt sorry for him when he signed for MTN-Quebekka (?sp)- completely thrilled for him now though.

Tusher, it's MTN Qhubeka. Pay attention. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Stannard definitely wasted at Sky. Would be protected rider number 1 in other teams.

He did it all by himself with class. No silly games, just this is my power and I'm going. Refreshing.

So pleased there was no EBH or someone he had to just soft tap on the front of the peloton for and could race as he wanted and for himself. .

Nah. He's a third rank classics rider and a very useful domestique.

MSR doesn't prove much. Look at Goss.
  • rick_chasey
    We all knew Stannard was tough in bad conditions. This has confirmed.
  • Ciolek wasn't exactly on his wheel though.

Yes he was. Ciolek was sat on Sagan's wheel from about 1.5km to go.
  • Tusher
    Tusher, it's MTN Qhubeka. Pay attention. :wink:

Qhubeka. Qhubeka. Qhubeka.

Knew it rhymed with Quebec though!

(thinks) probably doesn't. Does anyone know the correct pronunciation?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Hate it when these wheelsuckers win....

No class.

:wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Ciolek wasn't exactly on his wheel though.

Yes he was. Ciolek was sat on Sagan's wheel from about 1.5km to go.

Am talking about when Sagan actually launched his sprint for the line. It is of little matter though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited March 2013
    So, it's going to be a duel between Stannard and Lars Bak for the Roubaix title. Preeetty...Preeetttyy... pretty good.!

I mean.. lars has been the top favorite for months but after today Stannard is in there with a shout, I guess.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

So pleased there was no EBH or someone he had to just soft tap on the front of the peloton for and could race as he wanted and for himself. .

Nah. He's a third rank classics rider and a very useful domestique.

MSR doesn't prove much. Look at Goss.

:shock: Think you and Moanin' Boonen might be a little undercooked due to disrupted WInter? 'Cos third-rate is nonsense. He's been up the pointy end of last two Worlds despite much other work on front.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    Not very enthusiastic:
    tumblr_mjtecsL6RP1qacyk6o1_500.png

So many captions come to mind for Sagan here:
    tumblr_mjtep5znkr1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ciolek didn't seem very excited in the post race interview.
  • above_the_cows
    edited March 2013
    Not very enthusiastic:
    tumblr_mjtecsL6RP1qacyk6o1_500.png

Maybe they're in shock? :shock:

Maybe the press person was cold, wet and tired and now realises they are not going to be getting an early night and will be working very hard tomorrow too.

Agreed though it does seem a little underplayed. I don't like too much hyperbole but they could at least have added a :!: mark.
  • above_the_cows
    So many captions come to mind for Sagan here:
    tumblr_mjtep5znkr1qacyk6o1_500.jpg

He looks like he really needs to go and just can't hold it in any longer.
  • Tusher
    Ciolek didn't seem very excited in the post race interview.

Probably too knackered. Or, it hasn't sunk on yet.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    For those who missed it :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOwV7aQ_9II