Paris-Nice 2013 Stage 5 **SPOILER**

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    brilliant stuff - man of the match for me is svitsov - kept it nice and steady for porte. TvG 52 secs back now

Hmm I have TvG for the PTP overall - too big an ask for such a short course on Sunday methinks.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    edited March 2013
    What i don't get is that Talansky is a very strong Time-Trialist so he had no reason to try and gain any time on anyone else. Once he'd attacked the first time he should have reverted to being defensive.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Ron- TJVG was 29 secs better than Porte last year on the final TT so probably too much to do. Plus Porte will have something to ride for this year.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    وقف ترجمة لي

Who keeps translating/interpreting you?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Great work by Porte, happy for him. If he had legs that good he should go with 3km to go though.
    He was waiting for Talansky to punch himself out though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    What i don't get is that Talansky is a very strong Time-Trialist so he had no reason to try and gain any time on anyone else. Once he'd attacked the first time he should have reverted to being defensive.
    a) lost his mind
    b) thinks Porte/TVG will clean his clock in a TT
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Agree with this.

Disgruntledgoat called it. Lost his head in the last 5km.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Talansky got taken to school there. Started the major attacking among the top favourites, let the gap go with Porte and then was left to do what he could to close it by his more experienced competitors. I think he'll definitely learn from that.

Do you make it your mission to disagree with 95% of what I say.

Either that or you are a closet Sky fan.

Just an fyi - Talansky is a rider after the Greats. He is not from the Sky mould. Like I say, he is one for the fans. I've seen him race a decent amount and he doesn't suck wheels or ride tempo - he leads from the front.
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    It was actually nice to see the leader give it something rather than just sit in and defend - wise or not.

It was damn boring until Talansky went. Great from that point onwards. Porte very measured until he went - no show boating or 'looks'. Well ridden.

Check, check.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    edited March 2013
    I agree with a) but b) is ridiculous when you look at last years mountain TT at Romandie.

FWIW i think TVG will be off Porte and Talansky's pace on Col d'Eze. Sure he's strong over the big TT's but he has no history for mountain TT's and he's not the best climber unless he's on top, top form.

In fact TVG couldn't hit top 10 last year on Col d'Eze but finished 5th on GC. I think he'll make top 10 this year but struggle to make in-roads on top 5.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Perhaps he wasn't feeling great and did a Badger?

Or he was fed up with people on BR being critical of his spot on tactics so decided to go Full Voeckler?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Talansky got taken to school there. Started the major attacking among the top favourites, let the gap go with Porte and then was left to do what he could to close it by his more experienced competitors. I think he'll definitely learn from that.

Either that or you are a closet Sky fan.

Just an fyi - Talansky is a rider after the Greats. He is not from the Sky mould. Like I say, he is one for the fans. I've seen him race a decent amount and he doesn't suck wheels or ride tempo - he leads from the front.
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    It was actually nice to see the leader give it something rather than just sit in and defend - wise or not.

It was damn boring until Talansky went. Great from that point onwards. Porte very measured until he went - no show boating or 'looks'. Well ridden.

Check, check.

Nope it happens naturally.

I agree with you that he is a great rider, but he needs to learn that the majority of stage races are won by accumulating small amounts of time and then defending them, not acts of derring do.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Guys, you can discuss this later - TA has 5km to go.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Talansky got taken to school there. Started the major attacking among the top favourites, let the gap go with Porte and then was left to do what he could to close it by his more experienced competitors. I think he'll definitely learn from that.

Maybe there is a message for you there.

Mindless attacking fails to achieve end result, again. Good for Talansky's endorsements but not his palmares.
    Yes he made it 'exciting' to watch, but no more 'fascinating' than a defensive duel would have been.

Clearly he's a strong rider, but poor tactics today (and I'm not even sure that you need hindsight to see that).
  • frenchfighter
    Dude, just dont bother replying to me and trying to teach me lessons, you are getting really boring and are not even right.

I don't watch this sport for the results. Get that into your head.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dude, just dont bother replying to me and trying to teach me lessons, you are getting really boring and are not even right.

You say what you see in a race, I say what I see, no need for antagonism.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    I don't watch this sport for the results.
    You surely understand that it's a fairly important part of sport, though.
  • frenchfighter
    Dude, just dont bother replying to me and trying to teach me lessons, you are getting really boring and are not even right.

You say what you see in a race, I say what I see, no need for antagonism.

Go through Nic's posts and looks at what he has said to me over time. Then address your comments to him. Or say nothing. Cheers.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I have neither time or inclination to do that. I thought you were addressing me.

Cheerfully withdrawn

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Nope not you. Me and you have history. And I'm fine with it. We are still here. We can hardly agree on anything but that makes life more interesting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nope not you. Me and you have history. And I'm fine with it. We are still here. We can hardly agree on anything but that makes life more interesting.

I love you too man

@gietvangent
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    edited March 2013

Right... and I do. I am interested in a combination of the spectacle, the tactics and the end result.
    We have a difference in opinion. Get used to it.

What drives me nuts are your incredibly pompous decrees dictating who and what we are all allowed to enjoy. Who made you the forum patron anyway?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Brilliant from Porte. Bit disappointed in Quintana.
  • frenchfighter
    nic_77 wrote:
    What drives me nuts are your incredibly pompous decrees dictating who and what we are all allowed to enjoy. Who made you the forum patron anyway?

Wrong. Enjoy who the hell you like. Let me do the same. Simple.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,453
    I'm becoming more and more convinced that frenchfighter is some intelligent web bot software developed by some very clever software geeks to drive up forum usage, thus attracting more advertising revenue.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    I'm becoming more and more convinced that frenchfighter is some intelligent web bot software developed by some very clever software geeks to drive up forum usage, thus attracting more advertising revenue.
    Nah. He's just French, isn't he
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Evidently Porte's was 53 seconds slower than Contador's 2009 ascent.
  • frenchfighter
    Turfle wrote:

But faster than Frank Schleck's.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Evidence that Talansky may not have been of sound mind late on today, from JV's Twitter:

Vaughters: You can't take the pitbull out of the pitbull.
    laurenstendam: @Vaughters liked it. But if he just stayed in the wheel he would never be dropped. But like his style.
    Vaughters: @laurenstendam I know, man... I know.

Having checked his Romandie TT, he should have been in with a shout here: losing 1s to Wiggins (who had chain mechanical), and taking 17s from Porte (who may not have been fighting for a podium spot?). I like this racing without radios.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    34fa59e6880b11e2a3d522000a9f13e2_7.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Turfle wrote:
    Come now, two different races.
    Today was the "Sky Tempo" race compared with the long solo attack.
    So where did the timing take place to be able to compare, please
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972