World Track Champs (Spoilers!)

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,397
    RichN95 wrote:
    All the British medals so far have involved Welsh people.

Well Martyn Irvine put paid to that, he's definitely not Welsh :-)

Is fully aware he's not British either. Just fishing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Laura Trott is amazing. Quite good on a bike too.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • She seems happy with bronze...? Great ride.
    Turfle wrote:
    Can't really be unhappy with a big new pb.
    No, absolutely. Massive chunk off her PB

Certainly didn't expect a medal of any sort on days 1 and 2, so yes, she'll be totally chuffed.
    Just that when you've got a photo her with a brace of UCI world champ's golds and a silver in her mit,
    you get greedy! :lol:
    RichN95 wrote:
    All the British medals so far have involved Welsh people.

Well Martyn Irvine put paid to that, he's definitely not Welsh :-)

Martin Irvine has done much of his training in Newport, so another Welsh success. :P :wink:
    Great ride.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,834
    Have the Irish got an indoor velodrome? They are starting to have a few riders coming through - it's hard to believe that before last year their previous world title was in the 19th century!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Pross wrote:
    Have the Irish got an indoor velodrome? They are starting to have a few riders coming through - it's hard to believe that before last year their previous world title was in the 19th century!
    Don't believe they do. Think there was some project to build a velodrome in Northern Ireland to serve the whole island, but it didn't go anywhere.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    From 2011

http://road.cc/content/news/29936-north ... nding-cuts
    A planned £27 million velodrome in Northern Ireland is one of five high-profile sports facility projects to have fallen victim to £50 million in government cuts affecting the province.
  • Pross wrote:

I thought you'd be the one man to know.
    Wasn't kidding-the Irish have been coming over and using Newport.
    However, they are in the process of changing to Glasgow.
    Logistics.
  • Gotta say, and I'm not given to hyperbole, but Irvine's two medals were amazing performances! To back up two IP rides at 4:22 pace, then hop on and cane it to a gold in the Scratch in the way he did is nothing short of... well, world class!
  • Pross
    Cheers Blazing, I knew they trained a bit at Newport but didn't realise it was their main base. I can't understand the move to Glasgow as from the Republic travel can't be any quicker - would have thought Manchester would be easiest. Good going for them to perform with no decent facilities at home. I think the Canadians train in California due to lack of an indoor velodrome at home as well.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pross wrote:
    Cheers Blazing, I knew they trained a bit at Newport but didn't realise it was their main base. I can't understand the move to Glasgow as from the Republic travel can't be any quicker - would have thought Manchester would be easiest. Good going for them to perform with no decent facilities at home. I think the Canadians train in California due to lack of an indoor velodrome at home as well.
    Pross they trained a lot at Newport with the vets and Chris has done a bit with them also. I have trained behind the womens pursuit a few times when Keira rode for them but she now rides for Wales. Carollyn Ryan has improved a lot and is strong and did great to medal in the points I think it was when she took a lap.
    Great performances by the welsh so far, great for Beckyy after illness and injuriy probs, she as huge potential . Elinors ride was class. Said she was lucky :D think its more to do with being very talented and hard work.
    The women have at least 8 riders they can call on for pursuit if needed.
    Just goes to show what can be achieved with having a facility like Newport. Look at the riders Wales have, Geraint Thomas not currently riding track, nor Luke, and also still have Mouldy also, could have awsome TP if they could get them together for commonwealth but that won't happen unfortunately :( Looking forward to seeing Becky in the sprint.
  • Pross wrote:
    I don't know if Frenchie ever awards True Champion status to track riders but if he does that deserves it!

Please explain what he did? I am under the impression that Track and Panache/Class/T.C./Emotions/etc were all oxymorons or extreme rarities so would be interested to know what went on.

I think I have read something about this racer and he seems very good. Maybe he will make the transition to the real world of the road soon and light up the roads around Europe. He is not from the Big Money British Track Cycling scene or is he?

Got lots of great photos from the events but it looks like no one is interested so wont post them here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    I don't know if Frenchie ever awards True Champion status to track riders but if he does that deserves it!

Please explain what he did? I am under the impression that Track and Panache/Class/T.C./Emotions/etc were all oxymorons or extreme rarities so would be interested to know what went on.

I think I have read something about this racer and he seems very good. Maybe he will make the transition to the real world of the road soon and light up the roads around Europe. He is not from the Big Money British Track Cycling scene or is he?

Got lots of great photos from the events but it looks like no one is interested so wont post them here.

Have a look on YouTube. Having won a silver in the pursuit in the morning he rode the scratch race in the afternoon and attacked on his own with 10 laps to go. An Austrian rider bridged to him with just over a lap remaining but he had the strength to hold him off to the line. I can understand you not liking track cycling but I think you would have appreciated his efforts. No, he's not from the 'Big Money British Track Cycling' scene as you put it - as discussed above the Irish team don't have their own velodrome even so have to come across to train here.

Maybe he will make the transition to the 'real world' or maybe not - it doesn't detract from him as a rider though, he just competes in a different discipline and it is unfair to suggest that is in anyway inferior. It is like saying Mo Farah isn't worthy until he wins a bike race.

I'm always happy to see photos, just because people don't comment on them doesn't mean there's no interest.
  • Tks for filling me in Pross. And yes that sounds like the guy I read about last year. And not being from the BC scene I respect him and his efforts more.

If I find any good photos of him I will post up. So far it has all been UK, UK, Uk.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    I think Irvine also rides on the road for United Healthcare.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

Yip he does

http://uhcprocycling.com/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited February 2013

He does but this is his first season with them. Was with Conti teams before and occasionally rode for under Irish national team banner.
  • tailwindhome
  • Morton the fastest so far with 11.172"
    She's the girl Becky took half a second out of in the team sprint. :shock:
  • Awesome from Becky. 10.957".
    Faster than both Vogel and Lee.
  • Pross
    That was a seriously quick qualifying ride!
  • Don't know if this link has been posted, but here you go:

http://www.tissottiming.com/Competition ... &year=2013
  • Becky takes the qualifying! Hard to believe, number 1 seed.
    Gong in the semi's if all pans out on those times.
    I'm liking Lee v Vogel as they worry me the most.
    Guo only 5th.......
  • Pross
    Looking really promising, obviously tactics will play a big part but she seems to be the fastest there over a lap based on the qualifying and her team sprint rides. Kenny and Crampton in the keirin now.
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • Have they stopped for lunch?

Irvine1_zps2ee02038.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Have they stopped for lunch?

Morning session has finished - back at about 4pm for the evening session.
  • Pross
    Are the sprint 1/4 finals best of 3 or just a one off?
  • Pross wrote:
    Are the sprint 1/4 finals best of 3 or just a one off?

Best of 3, now. Less risk.
    Semi's I reckon will be Becky v Guo
    Vogel v Lee

Kaarle McCullough next up. She and Gong got through the repecharge.
  • Pross
    Breezed through to the semis :)
  • Pross wrote:
    Breezed through to the semis :)

Not quite. That was heat 1, (which I managed to miss :x ) heat 2 still to run.
    Guo looks good but certainly not unbeatable....
    I heard Boardman say some mistakes were made, so either Vogel, Lee or both had narrow escapes?