World Track Champs (Spoilers!)

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,602
edited February 2013 in Pro race
OK, I'm going to risk the wrath of those who dismiss it as 'going round in circles' and 'not proper cycling' and post it here.

GB Men's team pursuit got off to a decent start clocking the second fastest time and race the Aussies in the final later.

Becky James gets her first major chance to emerge from the shadows of drama queen Victoria later with Victoria Williamson in the team sprint.

Women's pursuit is also on the schedule for today but no British representation. It saddens me to see the way the blue riband event of track cycling no longer attracts the strongest field due to its removal from the Olympics.

I suspect there will be less medals than the GB team has been accustomed to with the team being very much in the early stages of re-building towards Rio but looking forward to seeing how the youngsters perform now they are getting their chance. There is also some strong Welsh representation which I'm interested ahead on the Commonwealth Games next year.

Comments

• I likes me a bit of track, too

Women's IP...that would have been Jo Rowsell, I'm sure, but she's taking the year out to focus on the road

6 of the GB squad < 20 years!

Looking forward to seeing how Kian Emadi goes tonight
  • Go, our kid. :)
    (although I don't expect much from the team sprint)

I checked the track section, here, earlier and it was..............dusty and covered in cobwebs. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Go, our kid. :)
    (although I don't expect much from the team sprint)

I checked the track section, here, earlier and it was..............dusty and covered in cobwebs. :oops:

Yeah, that's why I posted in here. The pairing seem to have done quite well in their outings in the World Cup so fingers crossed (I know the competition here is likely to be much tougher though). Is Jess Varnish injured or has Victoria just earned her place in the sprint team on form?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Pross wrote:
    Is Jess Varnish injured or has Victoria just earned her place in the sprint team on form?
    Jess Varnish is injured. She was on Radio 5 at lunchtime. I think it was something to do with her back.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Is Jess Varnish injured or has Victoria just earned her place in the sprint team on form?
    Jess Varnish is injured. She was on Radio 5 at lunchtime. I think it was something to do with her back.

Been out for about a month with a disc problem. Gutted, since I fancied their chances.

Chris Boardman has already talked about Becky being in great form.............which I can confirm! :wink:
  • Pross
    Here goes....
  • GB get a medal run! :D See Becky go?
    half a second faster than Oz and time to go up the banking for a sling shot!
  • Holy moly! Was she flying! Fastest lap so far
  • Pross
    Well that wasn't too shabby! Interesting that Becky went up the bank a bit after about half a lap.
  • Heiko's posted this regarding the Russian TP:
    Heiko Salzwedel - Russia's Artur Ershov crashed after 1 lap, slipping out during Change
    33 minutes ago · Like · 1
    Heiko Salzwedel - If the UCI is going to introduce Men's TP with three riders, we are going to be the favourites...
    21 minutes ago · Like · 2
  • ok, Germany and China go faster

so the GB girls v Aus in the bronze race
  • Pross
    Is it straight to a gold / silver and bronze / 4th race now or is there a semi?
  • Pross
    Ah, cross posting! I thought that was the case, very close times there. I was hoping for a minute that my club might have their first ever senior world champ later tonight. Great effort though :)
  • Pross wrote:

Straight to. Bronze ride-off at 1810.
  • As far as the UCI communique goes: fastest two teams straight to final for gold/silver. Third and Fourth ride off for bronze.
  • Pross wrote:

No-one else within a quarter of a second of Becky's second lap.
    She's been flying in Newport.

They tried Becks on lap 1, but Vicky couldn't get on her wheel.
    Rachel is now a fair bit faster over lap 1 that 19.6". Oh well.
  • Pross
    Is Rachel training with the GB squad now? It would be good to see them riding together at future events. Still, if that was the weaker event it bodes well for later in the week. Is Becky doing the 500m or just the sprint and keirin?
  • Pross
    Great ride by Kian Emadi.
  • Cracking ride by him, whatever happens with the riders to come
  • Pross
    Engler shows how well Emadi paced his ride!
  • Emadi - 4th. 18 yrs and his first Worlds. Got to be pleased.

And Becky just smashed it again for the girls to take bronze!
  • Yay! Magic.
    After Chris Boardman's glowing praise of Becky's form, I look forward
    to her getting her very own Clinic thread. :oops: :roll: :lol:
  • Yay! Magic.

I bleeding hate the Asylum and avoid it like the plague but if they start over there... :evil:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Yay! Magic.
    What other events is she doing this week?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Yay! Magic.
    What other events is she doing this week?

The 500 ITT, sprint and keirin. So, one per day.
    Just talked to dad. He's chuffed since this was a bonus.
    Sounded quite optimistic about the individuals.
  • Pross
    Great ride by the pair. Team pursuit a bit of a let down but that shows how far British track cycling has come that I think of a silver in the team pursuit as a bit disappointing!
  • Arrrgh....who's presenting the medal to Becky and Vicky?
    Kissed by Pat McQuaid. :shock:
  • I regard it as a temporary loan of the Mens TP bands to the Aussies, just to get their hopes up :wink:
  • Arrrgh....who's presenting the medal to Becky and Vicky?

Oh noes! Better set up some counselling for when they get back home
  • Pross
    Arrrgh....who's presenting the medal to Becky and Vicky?

Surprised they didn't turn into toads :lol: